Frenkie de Jong

If we can get him we must, he really is that good. They say of the best players they have a picture in their mind of what they are gonna do before they receive the ball, this guy has two or three.

Seems to be doing the rounds again today probably because Barca need to sell before they can buy.

We found ourselves here in 2014 when Madrid needed to sell Di Maria to buy James.

We need to sign players who's first choice is Utd not players who are basically being dumped out of their club because they need the cash it seems pretty clear this lad doesn't want to leave Barca so I'd be very worried about signing him.

I also worry about the De Jong to United proposition, like you say it doesn't seem like the guy has any interest in moving so it would be typical United to go and slap a huge amount of money down for him.

Can lead a horse to water but you cant make Frenkie drink....

its all speculation, maybe ETH spoke to him before he moved. I wouldn't be too quick to label someone a failure before they have even been signed.

Yeah I'm not sure why this feels like Di Maria? He wasn't wanted at Real whereas I think De Jong is wanted but Barca need to sell before they can buy. Now sure there's an argument to say why not sell someone else but I think he's one of their more valuable players.

Di Maria was wanted by Madrid but Perez told him he had to go to make space for James.

He wanted to go to PSG but they were under FFP restrictions so he came here for a year and seemed to have every minute.

If we're going to lay down £50-60m on De Jong I want the club to make sure they know that this lad is 100% signed up to Utd and in it to win it.

You can get a good deal when the Spanish boys decide to cast off stars to make room for new blood Eto'o, Fabregas, Sneijder, Robben, Sanchez and Ozil were good signings at their new clubs when they were moved on to make room but it felt like they left with a point to prove. I want that same attitude from De Jong if he's going to be a target stick two fingers up to Barca on the way out and come to Utd to prove that selling you was the biggest mistake they'll ever make.

The Di Maria situation was a little different as like jsp said he wanted PSG 100% so we were definitely third choice - after staying at Madrid or signing for PSG.

Didn’t like him for the most part and to be honest his character and attitude fitted in quite nicely at PSG.

We do need to steer clear of players who aren’t 100% for the cause. But I would like to think that just because you want to stay somewhere, doesn’t mean you won’t be as committed in your next role.

The Di Maria situation was a little different as like jsp said he wanted PSG 100% so we were definitely third choice - after staying at Madrid or signing for PSG.

Didn’t like him for the most part and to be honest his character and attitude fitted in quite nicely at PSG.

We do need to steer clear of players who aren’t 100% for the cause. But I would like to think that just because you want to stay somewhere, doesn’t mean you won’t be as committed in your next role.

He was great for Benfica, Madrid and PSG the fans loved him and he worked hard for them was just a disaster of a signing. He didn’t really want to come and he arrived to find a manager who didn’t really want a player like him. Think had he arrived under Mourinho or even Ole he might have settled in a little better but he arrived at a mad time for the club. Also, Madrid had our pants down on the fee we paid top dollar price for a player they were desperate to sell we should have been getting a discount not paying a premium.

Didn‘t settle in well either I think De Jong would find it easier Manchester to a lad from Northern Europe isn’t as dreary as it probably looks to a player from South America who’s spent best part of a decade in Southern Europe.

LVG put him at RWB. It was never gonna work. Wrong player for the wrong manager. His United period aside he's always been a hard working creative winger. Used to love him.

LVG put him at RWB. It was never gonna work. Wrong player for the wrong manager. His United period aside he's always been a hard working creative winger. Used to love him.

After that Leicester game he played him all over the place before he just gave up on him.

First few games he was electric but it all turned quickly.

That summer/season was mad a true sign of things to come under Woodward. He was desperate to land some big name starts after the disaster the previous summer so in came Di Maria and Falcao, we signed 2 players Moyes had scouted/recruited then 2 lads who played well at the World Cup.

Everyone lost out in that deal Madrid wasted the cash on James and weakened their team, Utd had to cut their losses and Di Maria had to spend a year in Manchester. A great example of how things can go wrong for everyone in a transfer.

reiterated he wants to stay. although if you read it all, he just says there has been no contact with UTD and he wants to stay, standard stuff

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think this is starting to scream "move on". He doesn't really want to leave and if he is moved on then it's purely for financial reasons. He wants CL football too so it just doesn't make sense.

I would like to think we’ve been given a little encouragement from De Jong or his team if we are actively pursuing this.

I hope we have evolved from the Fabregas saga where we were seemingly chasing him for months which lead to nothing.

I disagree, I think TH probably spoke to him, and we wouldn't chase if there was no chance. He's not going to say he wants to leave is he. It's better for him if Barca (club and fans) and Utd think he wants to say.

I think it's foolish to rule things out or start critiscising players before they arrive.

Yeah you've got to imagine ETH has got him on Whatsapp and they've spoke and either we are interested because we know we can get him or we aren't interested and it's just paper walk.

There's clearly games going on between Barca and the player and the player has all the power he's under contract.

By all accounts he doesn't want to leave and it sounds like he's pretty annoyed that Barca seem to be trying to start a bidding war for him especially as he's under contract. My guess is if he's being forced out he'll want to make sure Barca get stiffed on the deal so that the club he's going to can pay him a big salary as I imagine he's on big bucks at Barca as they renewed his deal a few years ago before Covid hit.

85m euro is way to high a price and Utd will know that we all know Barca are broke they need to sell to buy so they might want that sort of fee but they'll be lucky to get anywhere near that.

The way the Barca budget currently works is to meet La Liga's budget for ever £1 they spend on new players this summer (either transfer or wages) they have to save £4.

If Utd are going to enter negotiations they will have had the tip off from the player that he's up for the move you don't even talk to the club before you've spoken to the player (his agent) these days as why bother wasting you time.

Pay the money. DeJong would be the start of the rebuild. The next player we’re after would see ETH means business and might relish playing in a side with DeJong. Signing him will make the next signing easier. He’s far superior to any midfielders we have, so for me it’s a no-brainer.

If the Glazers were actually behind a full and proper rebuild then yeah sure go get him. But the reality is they have a limited budget this summer and they have a lot of work to do.

I guess it’s still very much paper talk about this ‘limited’ budget we have. I have no doubts if ETH identifies three or four players and they total £150m then he will be backed.

Plus got to factor in the amount we have lost from our wage bill. Potentially others like Henderson, Bailly etc also may go.

I just get a horrible feeling this saga is going to plod on all summer without ever going anywhere. I hope I’m wrong because this guy would transform our midfield but very sceptical.

Not since Seba Veron was first linked to us have I been looking forward more to any midfielder joining United, the kid is different gravy, we've got the stage, and if we play him in his best position as a deep lying playmaker we could have take off, and a lot sooner than many expect.

If he goes to City he's shite, nothing special.

What does everyone think of Christian Eriksen on a free? Some low level/rubbish sources are reporting we are in for him.

Crazy signing given we already have Bruno unless we are selling VDB makes little sense to bring him in.

He will want big wages do we really want to give big wages to a guy who will just be playing cup games and coming off the bench?

Given we’ve just given him a bumper new contract it is unlikely he is going anywhere.

like many we need him back at his best next season as this season he was crap.

I'm not sure it was a bumper new contract, it was an extra year

Big pay rise though you don’t give him that contract if you aren’t backing him to be a major part of your team.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Makes no sense to me. They want him, he fits what ETH wants to do but they won't overpay? Look they've got to be sensible to an extent but they've got to understand they aren't in a strong position for transfers.

He's not exactly set the world on fire there. He's not worth more than they paid.
I don't think we should over pay for players.
Our scouts should have alternatives

It's a bit of vicious circle isn't it. We are in a position where all we can offer is money and trying to sell the future. At the same time we need so many players that spending it all on two players isn't an option. We have to try to be a bit more sensible about how we spend the money and a bit smarter with our targets.
I guess Maguire wouldn't be getting the stick he does if we had bought him from hull for 20m.

He’s going to be expensive that’s just a reality of modern football now players cost lots of money but what we can’t be doing is paying over the odds.

In negotiations we surely hold the upper hand here we have the money but they need the money and they seem to have unsettled their player in this process so it Is likely done for him at Barca now. It’s just a case of finding a sensible middle ground where each party is happy you have to find the win win and both clubs should leave the deal happy.

They halved the original agreed fee for Coutinho to Villa just to get him out the door so suggests if you play hard with them eventually they will back down especially if we are the only club in this particular race.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back