Fred-McTominay

Both were non existent today. City played the ball around the pair of them like they weren’t there. Awful.

Fred stood still outside the area for the second goal. McTominay letting Gundogan run past him for the fourth. We know they are not good enough but the lack of effort is unforgivable. Not being able to pass the ball forward when they have possesion is the biggest shortcoming.

Oh yeah let's pick on two of the usual fall guys, and excuse everybody else, do some of you watch or understand the game? Serious question.

I mean let’s be honest these two are nowhere near the level of the centre mids at city, Liverpool or Chelsea.

It isn’t their fault the club hasn’t signed better players over the last 4 years.

The club need to sign 2 or 3 quality centre mids this summer.

I mean let’s be honest these two are nowhere near the level of the centre mids at city, Liverpool or Chelsea.

It isn’t their fault the club hasn’t signed better players over the last 4 years.

Thing is... To me CM is the most important position in football. Ok sure top goalscorers get the plaudits but to me CM is the heart beat of the team. They protect the back 4 and they are supposed to set the tempo and to create openings with their passing. And for so long now (the last few Fergie years as well) they've overlooked the position.

Thing is... To me CM is the most important position in football. Ok sure top goalscorers get the plaudits but to me CM is the heart beat of the team. They protect the back 4 and they are supposed to set the tempo and to create openings with their passing. And for so long now (the last few Fergie years as well) they've overlooked the position.

I don't think you can really say this is the most important area of the pitch to be a top side you need to all work together. On paper Liverpool don't have a great midfield but it works together to protect the defence as they rely on the full backs as creative players and they have 3 forwards who are all hungry goal scorers.

They haven't necessarily over looked it.

Fellaini £30, Herrera £30, Blind £15m, Schiederlin £25m, Schweinstieger £15m, Pogba £90m, Matic £40m, Fred £55m, VDB £40m, Bruno £60m.

There's been good money spent on that midfield in the post Fergie era but there's not really been any players who've hit it off.

You look at all those players and they couldn't be more different there's no real identity of what a Man Utd midfielder looks like what skills he needs to have to fit our system or style.

I don't think you can really say this is the most important area of the pitch to be a top side you need to all work together. On paper Liverpool don't have a great midfield but it works together to protect the defence as they rely on the full backs as creative players and they have 3 forwards who are all hungry goal scorers.

They haven't necessarily over looked it.

Fellaini £30, Herrera £30, Blind £15m, Schiederlin £25m, Schweinstieger £15m, Pogba £90m, Matic £40m, Fred £55m, VDB £40m, Bruno £60m.
Liverpools midfield is a million times better than Uniteds. Fabinho is a really good player, Henderson does what he needs to do to let others play and then they have players like Keita and Thiago who are better than what United have.

In terms of investment in midfield. I mean sure you can point to who they've signed but look at the names. Fellaini was a bad signing before he even played a game. Blind played in defense. Schweinsteiger was way past his best. Fred? VDB is he a midfielder? Bruno isn't.

Liverpools midfield is a million times better than Uniteds. Fabinho is a really good player, Henderson does what he needs to do to let others play and then they have players like Keita and Thiago who are better than what United have.

In terms of investment in midfield. I mean sure you can point to who they've signed but look at the names. Fellaini was a bad signing before he even played a game. Blind played in defense. Schweinsteiger was way past his best. Fred? VDB is he a midfielder? Bruno isn't.

My point was apart from Fabinho I don't think the others are really stand out players but they all serve a function in that midfield. Thiago they use as an impact player when they are struggling to break teams down but the other like Kieta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Elliot, Jones, Henderson or Milner are all there to be hard working and neat and tidy. Wijnaldum looked top draw at Liverpool but he's looked awful at PSG the reason is they fit perfectly in that Liverpool system. There's clearly a job that Klopp wants a Liverpool midfielder to do so he signs players that do that job.

Same way that Pep signs certain types of players for his midfield for him you need to be perfect in possession.

The point was more that they haven't ignored it but like a lot of areas of our squad the money has been spent badly over a period.

Maybe you should try. Watch the passages of play I described, and if you can let them go then fair enough, but I can't.
Fred stood still outside the area for the second goal. McTominay letting Gundogan run past him for the fourth. We know they are not good enough but the lack of effort is unforgivable. Not being able to pass the ball forward when they have possesion is the biggest shortcoming.

Did you think that when the game was in progress, or are you just agreeing with what Roy Keane in the Sky studio, who never misses an opportunity to have a pop at anything United said in hindsight, if your answer is yeah fair enough, but having watched it back only once i'm not sure what Fred was supposed to do as there were enough defenders back, if he'd sprinted back into the area he was as likely to have been hit by any attempted clearance which with the way things are going for United would have resulted in him scoring an own goal.

The forth I can't comment on but by then half of the team had give up. It's hard to continue giving 100% when some of your teammates aren't.

Are we considering Henderson one of the Liverpool CMs (he is not starting anymore)? Because I don't think Henderson is markedly better than McFred, but the system and the players around Henderson are vastly superior to what McFred have. Fred had one of his best games when he played further forward and didn't have to defend. McT thrives when he has an intelligent player next to him who can receive the ball in tight spaces, like Matic. Playing together they just magnify the deficiencies in each other's game.

We need a 25 year old Matic/Carrick. We need 6-8 players this summer, 2 of which have to be starting-quality DMs. We need new fullbacks, a new striker, a new left wing (if Sancho plays on the right), and 2 new CBs. Not sure how to even prioritize it, because without 6 upgrades (CB, DM, FB) we are well and truly fecked. 8 players (maybe bringing in Hannibal, Garner, Diallo can count towards that) that are all starters and gel together is laughably unrealistic, but that's where we are.

We are a hot mess right now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back