Fred | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Wolves 0-1 Manchester United - 29th August 2021

Awful start, but gradually got better.

Not good enough.

He's simply a terrible player. Like he works hard I guess but hell I'd run my nuts off for that kind of money. He has zero ability.

He’s not a terrible player but we know what he is and the club appear blind to this problem area in the side.

Was much better second half once we stopped them pressing us.

Part of his improvement in 2nd half was down to Pogs Bruno refusing to pass to him in tight situations. Just not good enough for united.

That's the problem though. If he can't handle the ball in even the slightest amount of pressure, he should not be playing in the midfield for a side with aspirations. Was a liability today.

Infuriating. He can have really good games but then he puts in this type of performance. Looked nervy from minute one.

The difference second half was Utd forced them back so they weren’t squeezed up on us meaning less pressure on Fred receiving the ball.

Problem is any side that is brave enough to put the squeeze on us will get success as Fred can’t handle being put under pressure he makes poor decisions and his control isn’t good enough.

We all know Utd need to be much better in midfield.

Never a fan of Fred. He's always seemed a liability that occasionally popped up with a good game, like 1 in 6. At his best he's a 6/10 midfielder and should be playing for someone like Crystal Palace. Weakest link of the chain and so on. We can carry one runner who does a lot of harrying from the front if we are converting our chances, but not two. Fred and James in the same side is playing a man down.

Fred is woefully below the standard expected at United he falls so far below its quite staggering. Games and titles are won and lost in midfield

Fred is woefully below the standard expected at United he falls so far below its quite staggering. Games and titles are won and lost in midfield
What I don't get is that Fergie built teams through the spine of the team... this spine has the potential to be great but that midfield is dire.

We all know he’s not good enough but we are stuck with him.

We all know he’s not good enough but we are stuck with him.
Doesn't mean we have to play him. I would play one of the kids as Fred needs to know that his performances will not be tolerated. Profound lack of intelligence to not take a yellow card to stop the move.

Doesn't mean we have to play him. I would play one of the kids as Fred needs to know that his performances will not be tolerated. Profound lack of intelligence to not take a yellow card to stop the move.

If the kids were good enough they would be playing.

If the kids were good enough they would be playing.
Which in itself is a worry. People talk about United needing a midfielder but they need a few. I mean Pogba may leave, VdB isn't going to be played in midfield, Matic should be moved on due to age and Fred simply isn't good enough. So that would leave McTominay. Even if one comes through from the academy they still need to add another 2 or 3 midfielders I suspect.

Which in itself is a worry. People talk about United needing a midfielder but they need a few. I mean Pogba may leave, VdB isn't going to be played in midfield, Matic should be moved on due to age and Fred simply isn't good enough. So that would leave McTominay. Even if one comes through from the academy they still need to add another 2 or 3 midfielders I suspect.

The whole lot need replacing.

Pogba should go on a free this summer and VDB should be sold or loaned buy two new centre mids even try to get them in January.

In terms of kids Garner and Hannibal are decent prospects if one of them makes it that will be a bonus but Utd in my opinion need 4 or 5 new centre mids a complete overhaul.

The only one of them that could survive is McTominay but he would be on the bench a lot.

This is not a defence of Fred, as he is truly awful at most aspects of the game, but, I think he's made to look worse than he is by his good positional sense/being full of running. He reads the game well enough and has enough positional sense to get himself into the right place to make a play. Fred's problem is that he consistently fails to make that play and therefore puts himself centre stage when he fails to control a ball/misplaces a pass/misses a tackle/gets dribbled by etc.

Compare that to McTominay for example, who isn't always in the right place to begin with, and therefore can't look quite as bad.

I also think his positional sense is why Ole keeps picking him over say, VdB who he can't trust to be in the right positions.

He's actually an embarrassment to the PL let alone United.
Well he’s not an embarrassment, that is very much hyperbole right there.

No he’s not the best but it’s not like he hasn’t had good games for us. He also tries hard, if he plays like he does most weeks but wanders around like he doesn’t care then yes he would be a little embarrassing.

Yeah with McFred there is not an effort issue it is a quality issue. Decent squad players but you dont want them starting every week. Unfortunately however bad we think they are, they probably are our first choice atm.

Well he’s not an embarrassment, that is very much hyperbole right there.

No he’s not the best but it’s not like he hasn’t had good games for us. He also tries hard, if he plays like he does most weeks but wanders around like he doesn’t care then yes he would be a little embarrassing.

The goal from Newcastle and the goal yesterday are embarrassing. At Southampton he was to blame too for his half hearted effort at blocking it.

He shouldn't be playing.

We all agree he should not be playing but we cannot really come up with anything better. Pogba should be be one of the best centre midfield players in the world, in the the Toure mould, but for whatever reason he keeps falling short there. I guess until we get somebody of substance to play alongside him we will not know if it is him or not that is the problem.

It's not like Fred has all of a sudden became a crap player...hes been that way since he came to the club....I idolise Robbo and this guy Fred couldn't lace his boots....BUT....a whole transfer window went by and nothing was done about it....why not?...does he have photos of Ole in a compromising situation?...no excuses ...all that money spent on CR7 and Sancho yet the midfield left as is!!!! Unforgivable

We need to know the thinking behind it too. Does Ole genuinely feel that McFred are good enough to start every week? If he does that is a sackable offence on its own. Or is he not getting the backing from above? Or was he given a certain amount of money to spend and decided to spend it where he did? I guess we will never know the answers to this but I would love to hear Oles take on it.

He's terrible

But he did supply the cross for the winner in the week

He works hard but he's got no football brain really. His technique is poor, he gets bullied too easily and his passing is woeful.
Personally, I would give Bailly a go in that role. Can't be any worse than Fred. Nothing gets past him and that debacle with Gray if it was Bailly, I think man and/Or ball would've ended up in Row Z.
He's sitting 4th choice as CB, not much to lose as the Brazilian has shown us for over 2 yrs now

I’ve seen some bizarre suggestions in my time… Bailly in midfield has been added to my list.

Oh it could be so much worse letting that mad man loose in midfield is a red card waiting to happen after he butchers someone for no reason and he'd have absolutely no idea where to stand he barely knows where to stand at centre back.

I've seen Lindelof, Jones and now Bailly mentioned as a holding midfielder option. To be fair to Jones he played their a bit in his early years but I doubt his knees will fancy the extra running.

I get the impression that was an unpopular suggestion then. I would prefer anyone, any feckin one, to who we have playing in that position for Utd. I'd even ask Scholesy to relace his boots

Oh it could be so much worse letting that mad man loose in midfield is a red card waiting to happen after he butchers someone for no reason and he'd have absolutely no idea where to stand he barely knows where to stand at centre back.

I've seen Lindelof, Jones and now Bailly mentioned as a holding midfielder option. To be fair to Jones he played their a bit in his early years but I doubt his knees will fancy the extra running.
I'd rather have a red carder than a red facer

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back