Fred | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Fred had a perfect cameo. I think it shows he’s been forced to add elements to his game (I.e., defending) that he’s not great at. When he’s allowed to be attack-minded he’s much better. Also not having to play the full 90 seemed to have freed him up .

If we're honest we could say the same about everybody else in the squad currently.
Oh for sure. All these guys can be very good on their day but so prone to brain fart moments.

Fred definitely has a good finish in him though and is pretty skilful as well. Definitely has a place in the squad, plus you know he will always give it his all.

Oh for sure. All these guys can be very good on their day but so prone to brain fart moments.

Fred definitely has a good finish in him though and is pretty skilful as well. Definitely has a place in the squad, plus you know he will always give it his all.

The main problem with Fred is that he's Brazilian, if he was British or Northern European fans would love his all action up and at up style, giving 100% for the team every time comfortable playing either side of the ball. But because he's Brazilian fans expect him to have the tactical discipline of a Dunga defensively, and/or the flair/creativity of a Zico when going forward.

The main problem with Fred is he’s got a 1/10 performance in his locker and you never really know when it’s going to come but it happens a few times a season.

When something goes wrong for Fred it tends to go spectacularly wrong but let’s hope this version of Fred sticks around I like him in this 4-3–3 setup.

The main problem with Fred is he’s got a 1/10 performance in his locker and you never really know when it’s going to come but it happens a few times a season

I'm sorry but anybody that gives a player a 1/10 rating even if he's scored two own goals and got sent off for conceding a penalty is an idiot, 3 or 4 out of 10 gets the message across.

Two own goals and got sent off? What do you need to do to get a one then?

I'm sorry but anybody that gives a player a 1/10 rating even if he's scored two own goals and got sent off for conceding a penalty is an idiot, 3 or 4 out of 10 gets the message across.

you got the point though he has to many really poor games a season to play at a top side.

Someone scored a hat trick of own goals in the first half for New Zealand’s ladies team today I mean surely that 1/10

you got the point though he has to many really poor games a season to play at a top side.

Someone scored a hat trick of own goals in the first half for New Zealand’s ladies team today I mean surely that 1/10

United aren't currently a top side, maybe he's found his level.

2 probably, the only time i'd give somebody a 1 would be if it was out of 5

10 - Wow just Wow
09 - Seriously on Blob
08 - Great
07 - Very Good
06 - Good
05 - Average
04 - Below Average
03 - Piss Poor
02 - Shocker
01 - Took the knee, and would probably have influenced the game more if they'd stayed on their knees, and not moved.

Fred does seem a bit better when he's played more advanced.

But if we want to win the major honours we need an upgrade.

From what seems to be reported he's now playing in a similar position to where he played with Shakhtar and for Brazil.

Midfield 3 as a box to box player or number 8.

He still doesn't look like a £50m midfield player but he looks much better.

From what seems to be reported he's now playing in a similar position to where he played with Shakhtar and for Brazil.

Midfield 3 as a box to box player or number 8.

He still doesn't look like a £50m midfield player but he looks much better.

That's not how he plays for Brazil, he's often deeper than Casemiro.

That's not how he plays for Brazil, he's often deeper than Casemiro.

But he doesn't play as the deepest player in the centre that is always Casemiro or Fabinho he plays to the side of one of them.

Passing back to the keeper when 60 yards up the pitch in the City half because you are not good enough to find a team mate says it all. Suck a poor passer of the ball. Caught high up the pitch too often and in the end stopped running.

Passing back to the keeper when 60 yards up the pitch in the City half because you are not good enough to find a team mate says it all.
Think he did because Wan Bissaka was the passing option. He didn’t trust Wan Bissaka for obvious reasons.

Yep he was class yesterday his passing was sharp and quick and he was the only one really getting a foot in at times.

Had a lot of work to do but did a good job stopping them get the ball to Son on that side after Ralf switched him and Matic in the first half.

Looking a totally different player playing slightly further forward, not brilliant but better by Fred's standards. So much more comfortable on the ball, with a few good touches, twists/turns and pieces of skill.

Looking a totally different player playing slightly further forward, not brilliant but better by Fred's standards. So much more comfortable on the ball, with a few good touches, twists/turns and pieces of skill.
That one bit when he drifted past his marker near the byline with a beautiful bit of improvisation was the best part of the match.

Everton 1-0 Man Utd

Got to say the moment he got that injury was the moment we lost a grip on that game Everton suddenly started winning things in the midfield and finding ways out that weren't there before.

Been an important player to Rangnick the slightly more advanced role seems to bring the best from him as he can win the ball higher up the pitch and stop counter attacks.

He’s the one guy I don’t think you can ever doubt when it comes to trying. He can have some right stinkers but it’s not because of a lack of effort. Would be quite happy to see him part of a squad rebuild.

Fred should be part of the future squad as he does give it everything and I think can play a role. But he can't be a starter next year. If he is then things have not gone well for United.

Said elsewhere that if we upgrade on McFred in the Summer we could do worse than give Fred a run-out at left-back, unlike Shaw he reads the game well, has boundless energy, tackles well, and puts in a pretty mean cross, and is confident/competent using his weaker foot which makes it harder for the opposition to force him down blind alleys.

Fred has a place in the squad probably not in the starting XI every week.

Fred and McTominay should be players getting 30 odd appearances a season not 50.

All comes down to what the new manager wants from his midfield players though he seems to be a guy who floats between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 system I think Fred can fit into both so he probably sticks around.

Think he's only got 12 months left on his contract though so needs a decision to be made this summer.

I don't know about Fred under ETH's rule. Fred is not the kind of player to come off the bench and be a game-changer. His contributions are usually not that clear cut (goals, assists). He doesn't look after the ball well, or at least not as well as players like Matic and Pogba do, where they can receive it under pressure and not cough it up due to poor control. Fred can be pretty wild with his first touch, control, and passing, offers little goal threat. So if he's not looked at as a starter, he should be off. Yes, he's a trier, yes, he doesn't shirk his responsibilities, but he's not good enough for a starting XI that is competing for anything, and as a sub, he's too erratic to come on and either see out the game or help get the winner.

I say move him on.

We should be pragmatic. He is not good enought but he is not the worst. We must get replacement for Matic, Pogba and Mata first, before selling him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back