Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really tough choice now and that's a good thing. No longer is Carrick a guaranteed starter when fit and we don't have to rely on him anymore. These signings may see Carrick take more of a backseat role like Giggs/Scholes did from their mid-30s onwards in their careers.

End of last season and earlier in the season we used more of a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-3-3. Van Gaal is on record before he came to us as saying he favours a 4-3-3 with the point in midfield forward so pretty much a 4-2-3-1/4-2-1-3.

In terms of the attacking midfielder, my personal preference would be Herrera due to his passing ability in the final 3rd and improvement in front of goal. His defensive contribution is also better than other challengers for the role I feel. Mata probably the better attacker and with a better, defensively solid midfield, he may be trusted more centrally though.

Behind i'm gonna go with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger with Carrick being brought in to give either a rest. Blind, also an adequate replacement. Herrera can drop deeper too. Fellaini exclusively used behind a striker and mostly as a sub.

Providing all settle well so there isn't an obvious candidate for the bench... I think in a two it will be likely to be Schneiderlin and either Schweinsteiger or Carrick in a big game, Schneiderlin providing the energy and one of the other two sitting a bit more. I think they're good options for rotating based on opposition, eg Schweinsteiger against Chelsea where strength and steel is needed.

In front of that is anyone's guess at the moment, with Young, Mata and Fellaini establishing themselves a bit unexpectedly. I expect Fellaini may end up with a slightly reduced role, again coming in against physical sides as required. My one guaranteed starter would be Herrera as one of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, or in front of a deeper midfielder in a 4-3-3

Schneiderlin/Carrick beside Schweinsteiger with Herrera in front would be my preference. But as has been said it will vary depending on our opponents.

Carrick seemed to be playing as the more advanced midfielder between him and Schneiderlin last night. Van Gaal perhaps looking to utilise Carrick's passing ability further forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back