F1 2021

Yeah I'm not sure how an appeal would work? As there's no way for them to redo the event.

They’ve put in a protest so not sure what that now means.

Mercedes have every right to be fuming as the rules have not been followed.

The more I read the more I feel sorry for Lewis, basically they didn't want it won behind a safety car so bent the rules. I've changed my mind, that's not right

They won't change the result though

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep and that is where the damage to the integrity of the sport comes in as the decision was made for the benefit of entertainment not sport.

Finishing behind the safety car would have been a bit of an anti climax but it was what the rules required and delivered the fair result.

Stewards are there to apply the rules not make them up.

Would be hilarious if they did change the result now must admit I can’t stand Horner seeing them take the title off him would be hilarious.

I cannot see the FIA finding against themselves however disgraceful the decision.

The older amongst us, not sure if young kids do the same, will remember when we were out playing football, as it started to go dark, no matter what the score someone would pipe up with "next goal wins", this feels very much like that.

Quelle surprise.

Not going to admit they muffed it are they.

Joke really, will all those new viewers they were hoping to attract come back after that farce. Lewis should retire, he's probably their biggest draw

So there it is the race director can basically do whatever they wants to get people racing. You can’t have sport that doesn’t have clear rules today the rules were broken and there was no consequence to the person who benefitted.

Hamilton and his team who nailed all the decisions in the race and screwed over by the decision of 1 man.

If they wanted to play fair red flag it with 5 laps to go a straight fair shoot out both cars on new tyres.

I expect they will appeal but what is the point however you feel about Hamilton you have today he’s been totalled screwed over in that race.

Lewis should walk away. It's an outrage and a disgrace how this has played out. Lewis dominated the race and lost because of a call that is against the rules. He's done so much for that sport and they decided they didn't want him to win it again. Let's not forget that Verstappen shouldn't have been in the damn race today!

Hopefully it will go to cas and they should see through all the bullshit and deem the race director actions illegal
only letting 5 cars between lh and mv unlap is ridiculous what about the ferrari wasnt he allowed to race against mv as the cars between him and mv were not allowed to unlap themselves.
As for the stewards being allowed to decide if they themselves were in the right or wrong is nonsensical,as if they are going to admit there own mistakes.
lh was class in defeat

The problem is... What can they do to rectify this? You can't reverse the decision because there was still a lap to go and anything could have happened in that lap. It's a shambles and a disgrace. Hamilton would walk away. Without both Hamilton and Verstappen F1 is a very boring sport. If Hamilton walks then Verstappen wins the title with his eyes shut every year. If Verstappen weren't around then we know Hamilton dominates.

As people have pointed out Sainz who was in third wasn't given the same advantage that Max was as he still had lapped cars between him and the car in second place meaning Max didn't have to consider defending his second position at any point on that final lap. Not that this really mattered as for Max it was first or last nothing else mattered.

It would seem that the race director does have some wiggle room for his decision making as all teams did agree that wherever possible races should finish under race conditions rather than under controlled conditions.

This "sport" is essentially no more than WWE now at any point someone can run down and distract the ref and deliver a chair to the head of the person who was about to win. It's all about controversy as it drives the interest they need to create as much excitement and buzz as possible.

Been a crazy season just look at that farce in Spa where they allowed a couple of laps behind a safety car, god knows how many red flags, collisions, controversy, dodgy wings etc.

I don't really know what CAS or whoever looks at this appeal can do can they effectively null and void the last lap because the correct procedure wasn't followed by the stewards?

If they wanted the race to finish on track, they should have let them both change tyres.

Under normal circumstances that race would finish under the safety. To deviate from that then they should have let all the teams know.

I kind of feel sorry for Max too, because many people currently think he didn't deserver to win it. Although over the season he probably did.

Nothing is going to change the result, Mercedes should just drop it.

He certainly dominated the start but Lewis finished really strong won 3 (maybe 4) of the last 4 races.

Max did nothing wrong yesterday he played it fair and square he had a tight call go against him with Lewis going off track but keeping his position and the safety car was nothing to do with him. If the show was on the other foot then it would be Red Bull lodging all these appeals. Everything just fell into his lap on the day Mercedes were home and dry then an accident and suddenly the tables are totally flipped to their advantage. There's an element of tough luck that's racing for Lewis but when the rules are being twisted that's not really on.

Think when you have other drivers coming out questioning what's going on you know it's all a bit dodgy.

My guess is Mercedes will push it just to try as a minimum get the rules changed and if you're being vindictive they might try and get the current race director sacked as some of the decision making this season has been crazy.

Mercedes have dropped their appeal against the result in Abu Dhabi.

FIA have commited to a detailed analysis of what happened as they feel it has tarnished the image of the sport.

Mercedes have basically said this investigation and hopefully adjusting the rules is enough for them and they now accept the result and want to move on.

Michael Masi removed as race director following his actions in Abu Dhabi.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back