Evra reveals he was abused as a teenager

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

It’s good that more people are speaking out on this issue the people that do this are truly scum of the earth.

Agree, but it might have done more good to mention it while he was still playing, and not now when he's got a book to sell.

I don't blame him for not mentioning it when he was playing. Can imagine the Liverpool fans jumping on it and using it to sing about.

Liverpool fans love playing the victim so i'm not sure they would to be honest, though no doubt at certain provincial clubs they may have taunted him about it, but it would have got more people talking about it a lot sooner, or he could have mentioned it when those former academy players bravely stood up and talked about it a few years back. With his standing in the game it would probably have encouraged even more to come forward.

Put it in his book if need be but don't put it out there as a read my book to know more.

Are we really going to shame the victim?

When Evra was a player these sort of topics were not talked about it is only in the last few years that players have come forward

Yeah fully agree. Evra holds no blame for his timing and it's a shame at the time he felt he couldn't but he would have just received more abuse about it from the stands.

Not sure where victim shaming comes in, and Evra was still playing three years ago when the first stories broke, if he as a superstar had spoke out it would have made it easier for others to speak out, as it is you'd probably have to google the names of those that did speak out, I know I did and I watched a documentary not long back about the resulting court-case.

Still takes a very brave person to reveal this secret to anyone not just your inner circle of friends and family but the whole world.

We don’t know if his abuse had anything to do with football just that it happened when he was 13.

if those players hadn't been brave enough to come out that monster Bennal would still be living 10 minutes up the road from me.

As far as I’m aware this is his first book and maybe he feels the time is right to tell his story because these monsters operate using fear making vulnerable kids think no one will believe them to hide in plain sight.

Evra didn’t need these headlines to sell a book he’s a Utd legend who’s led an amazing life people would buy that book he’s already one of the most controversial players of the last 10 years. The incident with the ground staff at Chelsea, the mutiny with the french national team, the incident with Suarez or going into the crowd at Marseilles.

There’s plenty of stories Evra could talk about to sell a book.

Why are we even mentioning the want to sell books? The guy has just brought up he was sexually abused - it takes a whole lot of guts to bring it up at all.

Oh and for what it’s worth I already had the book on pre-order even before I knew about this. He doesn’t need anything further to sell his books like jsp mentioned.

On R5 Fridays around 11:30, Adrian Chiles interviews winners, succesful sports people. Normally quite good interviews. Today is Evra if anyone is interested.

Going to get his book for Christmas always found him an interesting character he's had some life.

It was good interview, worth a listen on Sounds, after the 11:30 news

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back