Everton Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Signed Dwight McNeil from Burnley for an undisclosed fee.

Never really been that impressed by him to be honest goes on dribbles but most of them end with no end product and doesn't really track back to help the team from what I've seen of him.

They also got Tarkowski on a free which I think is a good signing as they need some defenders.

Looks like another tough season on the horizon for the toffees.

Yeah never really seen the excitement about McNeil - looks a tidy enough player with a decent left foot. Beyond that though, he’s never really impressed me.

Tarkowski will be a good signing for them but think overall it will be a season of struggle and Lampard may not last the season.

I see a lot of people have gone for him as first man to be sacked and it’s not surprising.

it’s a real test of his credentials as he isn’t going to get backed with loads of money he has to find solutions through coaching to their problems.

For the money they’ve spent their squad really is awful.

Yeah their squad isn’t in a good state. Some decent enough players and in Gordon and Gray, they have a little bit of young talent. Overall though, you would put them up with one of the worst squads in the league.

If Lampard can lead them to a good season, then he has done a hell of a job.

Looks like they've agreed a deal for Gueye to return from PSG.

Underrated player, be interesting to see how he and Allan get on in a double-pivot.

Think he's solid but not spectacular should make Everton a bit harder to play through in the middle of the park but they need some creative players as those attacking options look weak to me.

Think they'll go to a traditional British 4-4-2 with DC-L and AN Other up top, with Gray, Townsend, Gordon and McNeill whipping in crosses.

Not sure that's been Lampard's style as a manager he's a 4-2-3-1 guy don't really see him drifting from that he will want to be seen as a progressive attacking manager but he should recognise he's not got the players and play a system that suits what he has. Needs to think more what would Ancelloti do?

I do agree the best route for them is to get crosses in for Calvert-Lewin they really need him to regain his focus and form this season. I'm guessing they'll try and get Dele Alli feeding off him as a number 10 like he did in his glory days at Spurs.

Given they've just signed McNeil and Tarkowski if they're going for that style might as well just sack Lampard and hire Dyche now let him just reassemble his Burnley side.

Not sure that's been Lampard's style as a manager he's a 4-2-3-1 guy don't really see him drifting from that he will want to be seen as a progressive attacking manager but he should recognise he's not got the players and play a system that suits what he has. Needs to think more what would Ancelloti do?

I do agree the best route for them is to get crosses in for Calvert-Lewin they really need him to regain his focus and form this season. I'm guessing they'll try and get Dele Alli feeding off him as a number 10 like he did in his glory days at Spurs.

Given they've just signed McNeil and Tarkowski if they're going for that style might as well just sack Lampard and hire Dyche now let him just reassemble his Burnley side.

Sssshhhh, the bookies are sitting on that.

Nah he’s definitely going for 5-2-3/3-4-3 based on pre season

3-4-3 could work well with Gueye/Allan in midfield not sure what your wing back options are like from memory he used 3-4-3 quite a bit in his first season with Chelsea where they finished 4th.

Big thing for Everton is the crowd he has to keep them onside as Goodison can be a hard place to play when the home fans are behind the team when they're not it become a very hard place for Everton to play.

He’s been using Tarkowski Mina and Godfrey as the back 3 with Patterson and Mykolenko as the wing backs. Definitely need a new DM as Allan and Doucoure just get over run together in midfield. Looks like healthy competition for the attacking spots. Gordon, Gray, Alli and McNeil (who scored twice on his debut). Hopefully DCL can stay fit this season.
Even with all that though I know we are in for a tough season again. We all know that Frank might not be up to the task but he’s worked wonders to win the fans over so we will get behind him and hope for the best.

I can't see the goals coming to freely from those players think it'll be a real slog this season probably looking at somewhere between 10-15 in terms of finish but could easily see them being in the relegation scrap again if they get off to a bad start.

He’s been using Tarkowski Mina and Godfrey as the back 3 with Patterson and Mykolenko as the wing backs. Definitely need a new DM as Allan and Doucoure just get over run together in midfield. Looks like healthy competition for the attacking spots. Gordon, Gray, Alli and McNeil (who scored twice on his debut). Hopefully DCL can stay fit this season.
Even with all that though I know we are in for a tough season again. We all know that Frank might not be up to the task but he’s worked wonders to win the fans over so we will get behind him and hope for the best.

They've also got that chubby lad they brought on to take a penalty the other day as well.

Classy from Everton was that. I almost wanted him to score.

Very much relying on DCL and hoping Gordon can push on again and Alli can re discover his form. If McNeil is decent at corners we might get a few more goals that way as we were dreadful last season. I’m not expecting much but I’d really like anything better than last season.

Yeah the club are pretty classy to be fair just wish it would start translating into the pitch!

Very much relying on DCL and hoping Gordon can push on again and Alli can re discover his form. If McNeil is decent at corners we might get a few more goals that way as we were dreadful last season. I’m not expecting much but I’d really like anything better than last season.

I don't like to be doom and gloom but for me Alli is never getting it back he lost it 4 years ago just hasn't been the same player since the world cup. Injuries seem to have taken a bit of edge off his game just don't see him getting it back will give you the odd flash of brilliance as the talent never goes but the ability to go hard for 90 minutes week after week does.

Huge season for DCL he looked like he was on track to being a really top striker I really liked him thought he was a bit of a throw back to the old style number 9's a real handful in the penalty box but just fell off a cliff in terms of form last season. Maybe the talk of transfers distracted him and he lost the focus but he needs to get it back. A decent start to the season and no reason why he can't get back into that England squad for the world cup.

Think Richarlison is a big miss he doesn't get many goals but I think he does win you games because when he's on it he can pretty much win a game on his own up top.

Yeah the issue with DCL wasn’t so much form but a really bad injury and possibly some mental health problems. He’s talking like he’s back to full fitness after the summer so fingers crossed. Richarlison will indeed be a massive miss. The amount of effort he puts in is top notch but good luck to him.
I tend to agree about Alli but hopefully some glimpses here and there will be enough to make the difference from last year.

Reactions: jsp
I wanted Vitalii Mykolenko at United when we were looking at options to push Lard Arse for his position before we signed Telles, it will be interesting to see how he fares this season now he's had 6 months to settle and he's got over the initial "what the hell have I let myself in for"

I know we are only two games in but Everton are in trouble if they can't bring another striker/creative winger in. DCL has injury worries and they don't look like they can make much happen.

I know we are only two games in but Everton are in trouble if they can't bring another striker/creative winger in. DCL has injury worries and they don't look like they can make much happen.
Same could be said for us.

We are in worse trouble. Everyone expected Everton to have problems but I think we are a club in absolute turmoil. No direction from the top. Not enough investment at critical points.

Looks like we will be fighting with them to avoid relegation at this rate!

In for Januzaj on a free according to the rumour mill.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought he looked better than McTom. Maybe I haven't seen enough

I thought he looked better than McTom. Maybe I haven't seen enough

He was a solid player for Forest in their promotion season wasn't one of the star names but then so was Jack Colback.

We can only assume that ETH saw enough in pre season to say he's not ready and I think Garner wants to get his career going so probably wasn't prepared to go on loan again.

Hopefully Utd can get a bit of protection built into the deal in terms of a buy back or sell on fee.

Think Garner is being sold because he can command a relatively high transfer fee compared to other players.

I'm sure that's a part of it but I also think they've clearly had a look and thought he's probably good enough to be a premier league player but he isn't going to be good enough to reach the very top level so cash in and move on.

Deal agreed according to the reports.

£15m signs a contract to 2027 and medical completed.

Utd do have a buy back clause as part of the deal according to that Romano guy off twitter.

I think it's a pretty sensible deal all round and hopefully he breaks into their team quickly and can keep the momentum going in his career.

This doesn't sit right with me. We're selling a promising youngster who plays a position of need on the back of 2 first team appearances? I mean, good on Garner for getting a move and hopefully it works out for him, but what are we doing?

This doesn't sit right with me. We're selling a promising youngster who plays a position of need on the back of 2 first team appearances? I mean, good on Garner for getting a move and hopefully it works out for him, but what are we doing?

We have a buy back clause so not all doom and gloom and actually playing premier League football will be great for his potential

It's a football manager way of raising cash but we know it works in the real world too. The Spanish are always at it.

Better than him making it and sitting on his new inflated contract for 5 years or running his contract down and going on a free.

It’s a tough one if He stayed realistically he’s starting the season as 7th choice centre mid he must feel he needs to start playing top level football he doesn’t want to risk his career stagnating like it did for Tuenzebe.

If we have the buy back clause I think it’s a great deal for Utd.

It is a shame he didn’t get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back