Sideshow Bob

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png
V
150px-Logo_AS_Saint-%C3%89tienne.svg.png

Thursday, 16th February 2017
Europa League Round Of 32
Old Trafford
20:05 GMT

Will we see the same team that started against Watford or do we expect changes?

My gut feeling is it'll be a strong side although maybe a couple of changes, maybe at LB and one of the CB positions if Rojo or Jones are back. Of course Martial's place is still not certain either despite a good performance and positive words from Mourinho post-match. Expect wholesale changes against Blackburn.

Early team news: United v Saint-Etienne - Official Manchester United Website

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed Marcos Rojo is fit to face Saint-Etienne in Thursday’s Europa League Round of 32 tie at Old Trafford, although Phil Jones, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney are all unavailable for selection.

Rojo was substituted at half-time of the 3-0 Premier League win at Leicester City, while Jones has not featured since picking up an injury during the 0-0 draw with Hull City at Old Trafford on 1 February.

Experienced campaigners Carrick and Rooney, meanwhile, are not ready to return to action but the manager is reluctant to describe the pair as injured due to the simplicity of their seperate issues.

Asked for an update on the squad by MUTV on Wednesday, the manager said: “Marcos Rojo is totally recovered. We protected him at the weekend and now he is totally recovered. Carrick and Rooney, they appear with little things. I am not saying injuries because I don't think we are speaking about injuries, but little things that I think are going to keep them out of the match tomorrow.”

Later, in the pre-match press conference, Mourinho started with a question about injuries and stated “Phil is still recovering from the injury” and is therefore unavailable to face The Greens.

The manager also confirmed he will retain the back four that started the 2-0 win against Watford the weekend, when asked by one reporter if Luke Shaw might feature on Thursday night.

"He's not playing tomorrow, because my team is playing well and I am happy with my back four," Mourinho said. "I am going to repeat Valencia, Bailly, Smalling and Daley Blind."

Expecting same as v Watford now. Only change I can see now is Martial but I really hope not.

Team: Romero, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Blind, Fellaini, Herrera, Mata, Pogba, Martial, Ibrahimovic.
Subs: De Gea, Darmian, Rojo, Schweinsteiger, Lingard, Young, Rashford.

Defensive organisation has been awful. Mourhino will need to change something at half time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back