Europa League 2022/23: Man Utd vs Omonia Nicosia ~ Thu 13th Oct 8pm KO

Was at a work conference most the day. Only saw the last 5 minutes. But sounded like their keeper was excellent. McT to the rescue.

Anyone walk away with much credit?
The impact of their keeper will probably be the hot topic in the morning. Either way, we created a boatload of chances and didn’t take them. Could’ve been out of sight at the half, and just kept on after the break.

I thought Casemiro did well. Rashford was up for it, and did well from the right, minus the finishing. ETH got things right tactically, and team selection wise, we just couldn’t finish.

Ronaldo was really poor tonight £500k a week and he’s offering us nothing against a team of at best championship players, I hate to say it but he’s finished.
In general, I’d agree with this, but I’m not sure singling him out is entirely fair on the evidence of tonight. Yes, he was the CF who didn’t score against a poor quality side, but I thought he played his part in a team performance instead of demanding the ball despite better options. Also, he’s probably been told to control himself, but the body language and histrionics following a move breaking down are much better of late. Probably damning with faint praise, but I’ve seen him worse.

Makarias III, Georgios Grivas, Eleftheria Eleftheriou. Alkinoos Ioannidis, Theo Paphitis, Androulla Vassiliou, Costas Philippou, Popi Avraam your guys took one hell of a beating ....

Well until Scott turned up and saved our bacon.

In general, I’d agree with this, but I’m not sure singling him out is entirely fair on the evidence of tonight. Yes, he was the CF who didn’t score against a poor quality side, but I thought he played his part in a team performance instead of demanding the ball despite better options. Also, he’s probably been told to control himself, but the body language and histrionics following a move breaking down are much better of late. Probably damning with faint praise, but I’ve seen him worse.

I can't knock his attitude. To be fair this season I think he's behaved himself well but his own performances just aren't anywhere near the standards he's set for himself and there's even a massive drop off just compared to last season. I don't think it's lack of effort the body just can't do what it did before. By all accounts off the pitch he's been good with the team this season it feels like he's accepted his role as a squad player rather than a guaranteed starter.

I just think the physical side of his game is totally gone now missing pre season probably didn't help, he doesn't look anywhere near as sharp as last season. His close control is sloppy, he can't run in behind anyone anymore and he can't drift wide and create the little space he does need to get shots away. Last night he was far from the main culprit but it's so clear watching him play against a poor side that he just hasn't got what it takes anymore.

He reminds me a lot of watching Gary Neville or Rio Ferdinand in their last seasons where you are watching great players where time has finally caught up to them, I take no joy in it but it's over for him. I'd say at best we're getting 10-15 goals from him in all comps this season.

It feels to me like unless you serve it up on a plate for Ronaldo now he's not going to score. I think currently he is a very easy player for defenders to play against and Utd have consistently looked better when he isn't on the pitch. Other players have to do so much more with him in the team and I think even he knows it.

To make top 4 I think Utd have to seriously consider buying a striker in January you can't rely on Martial to stay fit and Ronaldo just isn't up to it anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if after the world cup he announced that he's going to retire at the end of the season.

I don't like this top 4 chat. I didn't think it was possible pre season, and nothing I have seen says we can.

if we don't get top 4 with this shower that is not a failure on ETH part. He needs time

I always felt top 4 was a realistic target this season, was never nailed on because of the competition but if we got off to a decent enough start we should be in the mix come the end. We're about 25% of the way into the season now and we are 1 point off top 4.

Think the next 3 leagues games will probably determine where we really are. We're currently 5th in the league the next 3 teams we play are the teams in 6th, 4th and 3rd.

It's obvious to everybody, except Ronaldo, that he's finished at the top level, and if we're going to kick on after the World Cup we need a proper striker who can stay healthy. There's no debating that. My point was that his presence didn't hold the team back in the same way as it has before.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back