Euro 2024: England Thread

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Southgate has name his first squad for the qualifiers with Italy and Ukraine.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford)

Thought we might see a few more new faces coming into the setup maybe the like of Mitchell at Palace at left back but the return to fitness of Chilwell probably hasn't helped him. Centre back looks a big problem area to me the Stones/Maguire pairing can't role on forever. Ben White being left out suggests to me some sort of bust up happened at the world cup and he's now out of the picture.

Glad that Toney has been given a call up he's likely to be hit with a ban but right now without doubt he's the best backup striker we have to Kane.

I'd like to see us try Foden in the midfield with Rice and Bellingham we looked much better at the world cup when we went to 4-3-3 with Henderson playing alongside Rice giving Bellingham freedom but England have to learn how to retain the ball against top sides. England in my opinion really need Foden to become a midfield player and not another winger we need someone with his ability to take the ball under pressure and turn with it in that midfield.

Euro's is a long way away but to me this is the side Southgate should be trying to build through the qualifiers.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Bellingham Rice Foden

Saka Kane Rashford.

Shocked that Toney got a call up but glad to see that he has.

Until he’s found guilty he shouldn’t be punished and I think Southgate will want to see how he gets on with the group before his ban.

Expected a few more new faces to be honest but I guess it says a lot for our depth when players not performing/playing for their clubs are still getting in.

I think to myself how are Phillips, Gallagher etc still getting in but it’s hard to pinpoint players who could come in. Harvey Elliott would have probably been one who is doing well for Liverpool but other than I struggle to think.

Good to see Toney get his place as he has been very good this season.

Yeah Elliot is a good shout and to be fair Gallagher has actually started playing for Chelsea recently so can see why he's getting a bit of a chance.

Bowen hasn't really played well enough this season and Smith-Rowe has been injured.

That's the thing when people go on about players who are being picked they never say who should be picked instead.

Max Kilman at Wolves is one who I think must be getting close to a call up although I thought he was younger than 25.

Rashford, Mount and Pope all pull out with injury.

Forster has been called up as a replacement for Pope but replacements aren't being called up for the other two players.

Just turned on to see Maguire horror show. Must be something to do with when I watch him

He was playing well up to that point but made a bad pass then hunted the ball and got caught.

England played really well first half but they’ve been poor second half, the miss by Grealish to make it 3-0 could be costly.

Shaw red card.

Two yellows in quick succession.

Felt to me like the ref gave the second yellow because of the Italian reaction. Given the first yellow was for time wasting he could have shown some lenience.

Italy 1-2 England

Kane breaks Rooney’s record.

England were good first half but really struggled second half.

Shaw will miss the Ukraine game after his red card.

Bellingham looked like his leg was heavily strapped up so you wonder if he's fully fit.

Thought everyone played well apart from Grealish, all he did was try and win free kicks and the ref wasn't having it.

In my opinion he doesn't bring enough in the final third and when Rashford is fit I'd much rather have him on the left of that front 3.

Italy 1-2 England

Kane breaks Rooney’s record.

England were good first half but really struggled second half.

Shaw will miss the Ukraine game after his red card.

A caveat to Kane breaking Rooney's record. Kane has scored 18 of 22 penalties for England. Rooney scored 7 of 7.

I do think Penalty goals should be mentioned with the record. Andy Cole for example and his premier League record contains 1 penalty.

He was playing well up to that point but made a bad pass then hunted the ball and got caught.
Sums him up really, plays well, but has that critical mistake ready to go at any moment.

A caveat to Kane breaking Rooney's record. Kane has scored 18 of 22 penalties for England. Rooney scored 7 of 7.

I do think Penalty goals should be mentioned with the record. Andy Cole for example and his premier League record contains 1 penalty.

Yeah but he's also scored most of his goals in competitive games and probably more prolific in major tournaments.

I'd probably say Rooney played in a worse side than Kane in his prime, Rooney caught the back end of the golden generations prime then basically had to carry them all into retirement. Kane has had a young exciting team around him through his peak years.

I do agree on penalties I think when comparing goal scoring ability penalties should be taken out of player stats.

Kane deserves the record he is someone who I think gets massively under rated in this country because he plays for Spurs he's an incredible striker and England are really going to miss him when he calls it a day. We were lucky that as Rooney started to tail off Kane was ready to take over.

I'm looking forward to us playing another striker. I think this team would thrive with Toney in there.

For me Kane is still the man but I can see him calling it a day after the euros. It feels like that might be the end of the road for quite a few players Walker, Trippier Maguire, Stones, Sterling, Henderson and Kane could all see that as the point to call it a day on the international front. There's also the manager who I think win or lose could end up going.

It's a real shame Toney is going to be facing a chunky ban as I agree he looks like the man who's ready to take over. If he missed 6 months of next season that could be a big problem for England.

England have got a bit of a scrap on their hands to keep Balogun who's probably the best young striker around at the moment. He's still only reached U21 level but both US and Nigeria are after him. He's been ripping it up in France this season after his loan move from Arsenal.

There's a few glimpses this season that Rashford might move towards being a centre forward but I still feel his best position is out wide.

I can’t see Kane calling it a day anytime soon, even after Euro 2024. He will want this record forever, so will want to push it on far and far into the distance. Obviously does depend on where he is with injuries but can see him going onto 33-34 maybe - so potentially another 4-5 years.

Toney will eventually get a move to a better club, so will be interesting to see how he does on a bigger stage, such as the CL. I think we should be strongly considering him to be honest. Other than him I struggle to see out and out strikers coming through. Jsp mentioned Balogun but there is a strong chance we miss out on him - others like Abraham, Wilson etc don’t quite have enough for me to be able to lead the line on a consistent basis.

He will be 31 at the end of the Euro's he might hang around for another crack at a world cup.

Kane's injury stuff I think gets over played he's been pretty healthy for the last 3 seasons barely missed a game.

Yeah there's a few players who have turned into good strikers but none of them have looked anywhere close to reaching the world class standard of Kane.

Toney I think looks the part but he plays in a front 2 for a team who basically play a really direct style and England don't play that way it will be interesting to see how he adapts. Hopefully he'll get a run out against Ukraine.

A big thing for Southgate seems to be how players settle into the squad he doesn't want players that unsettle the group, seems a firm believer in the no d*ckhead policy.

Watching this England game, who thought at Chelsea paying £88m for Mudryk was a good idea? Obviously he’s young but he looks distinctly average.

Another good win sets us up really well for qualifying.

Will need a monumental feck up to not qualify now.

Not sure playing Maddison, Bellingham, Rice and Henderson works, but I guess it gives Southgate options.

My guess is Rashford eventually takes the spot on the left if he keeps up his current form through next season.

The midfield is tricky as there’s just no real competition I was hoping Foden might get a look as the third man in midfield but he needs to start playing there for his club side which is tough.

England aren’t going to win major tournaments unless they can hold on to the ball against the top sides.

We still lack real creative options in the middle of the park. Rice does a good job and Bellingham has been a little overrated so far in an England shirt - no doubt he is talented but he cannot do it all on his own.

We have a world class striker in Kane, some real quality on the flanks with Rashford and Saka but like jsp said if we cannot hold onto the ball against top sides, we will struggle to win a major. We have shown we can compete but a couple more options midfield will just transform our side.

I think England have shown in the last couple of tournaments and qualifiers they can compete with the best teams.

Beaten Germany, Spain, Italy, lost to France because of a bad pen.

They have the players, when the manager plays a bit more attacking football they do better.

I think we've shown this side can compete with top sides now but can they actually get past them when it really matters.

France to me felt like they were just a bit better than us in all areas which is fine, they're a seriously good side and their record since 2016 shows it. They've been in 3 of the last 4 major finals and it was a close game as we all know it was a penalty away from potentially being a draw and next summer they'll still be the team to beat.

I think the fact we finally had the confidence to ditch the back 3 at the world cup was a positive and I think we need to stick with the 4-3-3. The big question I see is who will be the third man in midfield. At the world cup we looked a better side when Henderson came in alongside Rice and Phillips career has hit a wall after that move to City with the injuries. It's hard to see where another alternative comes from at the moment.

I think England have shown in the last couple of tournaments and qualifiers they can compete with the best teams.

They have the players, when the manager plays a bit more attacking football they do better.
I have to agree. I think England's major tournament barren run is soon to come to an end. Very soon.

Has to be taken into a bit of context when saying we beat Germany, Spain etc. They were very poor versions of those sides.

I worry when those sort of sides get back to their best, then we will be left behind a little. Germany and Spain have some top top talent coming through - same with Portugal.

Our chance to win a major tournament was in the last two when the quality was well well down. We obviously have great young players ourselves but I fear the opportunity in the near future has been missed.

It is still a long way out but to me Germany and Spain both look very weak at the back and don’t have a centre forward.

Italy are rebuilding the defence after the retirement of a few senior guys but if they can get Chiesa fit again I think they’ll be strong next summer.

Portugal still have the Ronaldo headache to deal with. He is a burden to that side.

Holland probably on paper have 7 or 8 good players but very little impact off the bench.

England/France to me look like the squads not only with strong starting XIs but quality in depth off the bench that can change games.

The concern I have with England is how few of our players play champions league football regularly. That to me is the elite level competition but not many of our team are fighting in it every season.

Maguire seems to be the headline as he's not currently playing and Southgate has warned him that is a problem he needs to address and Sterling hasn't been included after a disappointing first season at Chelsea.

The Squad

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), James Maddison (Leicester City), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (Newcastle United)

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back