Sideshow Bob

230px-New_logo_SFZ.png
V
170px-England_crest_2009.svg.png

Monday, 20th June 2016
Euro 2016 Group B

Stade Geoffroy Guichard, Saint-Etienne
20:00 BST

England: Hart, Clyne, Cahill (c), Smalling, Bertrand, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lallana, Sturridge, Vardy.

Why so many changes, sure Sterling and Kane had to go but the others? Hmm. There is a decent break between this match and the last 16 game and plus we haven't even qualified yet? Still got enough quality to win but if we don't, then Roy is gonna feel some serious heat from fans!

Yeah, brave/silly selection by Hodgson, with his job possibly on the line. Six changes is extreme. Diamond or 4-3-3 formation?

Probably the same formation, with Wilshere playing in the Alli role and Sturridge and Vardy being pretty flexible in their positions. Sad we have to see the terrible Henderson, shame the only other option was Milner who is equally terrible.

Good first half performance by England. Hopefully we can maintain the same level in the second half and not a repeat of the game against Russia.

Are we considering that a good half? Seems to me they are very ponderous and happy to take a point here. Which is ridiculous as you have to be winning a group like this. And it could really bite them if Slovakia score. It's not like they've found goals hard to come by and so far England in this tournament haven't looked great defensively.

I wouldn't describe the performance as ponderous. 10 shots is decent. Quality in the final third could be better.

I think it's been a fairly okay performance, it has been a little ponderous but at times we have looked incisive. However our final ball has been poor and our set pieces have been awful. I do think if we had a fast man out wide on the right we would kill them, Clyne has had Weiss on toast back there! Henderson hasn't really added much, Bertrand looks a little nervy - don't think the replacements have done much to warrant any future starts. Think if it remains 0-0 then it won't be long before we see Rooney and maybe someone like Rashford or Alli.

It's not been a bad performance by any means I don't mean that. But it's been slow for the most part and there's no urgency to get the win. Not winning this group is quite frankly embarrassing and we could and should face a much more difficult game in the knock outs. None of the players coming in have added much. Hendo shouldn't be at the Euros, I've never rated him. Wilshere is hardly setting the game alight, Vardy has to be fair worked hard and Clyne has looked pretty decent. But they need pace out wide to get at Slovakia.

So... The big point behind this 4 best placed losers getting through thing was to make the last game a purposeful game... That all teams had something to play for and to go out there and win! What's actually happening here though is England know a draw is enough, Slovakia know a win and a draw probably is enough for them so are happy to settle here... It's a joke! And the end result? Some very very very poor teams will make the knock out stages.

For basically 270 minutes England have had the ball and been on the attack. The result?! 3 goals and 2 conceded against two awful teams and one pretty average. And that's a bloody disgrace.

Time for the FA to have a long hard look at themselves. Time for Woy to go.

It was hard tonight, Slovakia had absolutely no intention of making a game of it, basically nine or ten players behind the ball most times. Can say the three games we have dominated and not scored enough but all three teams we have played have been so defensive it was unreal, I think once the knockout stages come and teams can't just rely on holding out for a point, it will be better!

Wouldn't be saying Roy out yet just at this time, although leaving Henderson on wasn't wise, he was totally done towards the end. And I think a bit of pace would have put the wind up Slovakia so perhaps the direct running of Rashford may have been better, rather than Kane who didn't do much.

If the Group F games go with the script then Portugal beat Hungary and Austria beat Iceland then we will play Hungary I believe. However Austria haven't been too impressive so perhaps Iceland may snatch a win, meaning we play Iceland. Plenty of permutations, one thing for certain don't want Portugal!

I'm sorry but that is an excuse that has been used by fans in every game so far and just doesn't hold up. If it were United then for every now and then we'd accept it but when it becomes a pattern we'd be pretty mad. In all three games teams for the most part have looked pretty comfortable against us. Yes it's frustrating to play against but you've got to do better. You've got to try different things and we didn't do that. As the game wore on we seemed to bring on players with less pace and take off players who could get at the opposition. Where was the gamble to play Rashford? Why was Henderson who's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard stay on? What even was the formation at the end? Certainly didn't seem to involve any width.

Woy has a talented bunch of players at his disposal yet I've not seen any signs of an improvement under him. Yes we qualified with ease but what's new? We have done that time after time pretty much. And yet when the tournament comes around we struggle. In Euro 2012 we were knocked out in the quarters (at the time the first knock out stage) and then at the World Cup didn't even get out of the group. And now in a really quite easy group we've finished second behind a country who prioritize rugby and most don't even play football!

This new format though is a joke! So you finish second in your group yet should end up with a pretty easy tie? In major tournaments that shouldn't be the case. Finishing second in a Champions League group usually results in a consequence of having a tough draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back