Erling Haaland

Yeah never understood why people used to call it a British transfer record when the leagues are not combined guess it was a phrase used during the late 80's/early 90's when the Glasgow clubs were spending big on transfers.

Not even sure about that. The Scottish Transfer record (yes I mean Scottish not British) is still only £12m and the last Scottish team to break the British transfer record was Falkirk in 1922.

I'd suggest it's just to stop complaints like the above from Shoot even though they're different league's and the idea of a British football team would offend most.

I'm actually still amazed we've only broken the world fee once and that was recently. I guess that was a time Madrid was spending big.

I can't see it being broken for a long time now. The jump between Pogba and Neymar was just unreal. They doubled the record fee paid at the time. Think/Hope it'll be the record got the next decade to come it was an insane signing.

Even if Haaland and Mbappe were on the market and their contracts not running down would anyone realistically pay £225m for them?

Yeah never understood why people used to call it a British transfer record when the leagues are not combined guess it was a phrase used during the late 80's/early 90's when the Glasgow clubs were spending big on transfers.
I guess it may have been due to the money English clubs spent on Scottish players back then, many were crossing the border.

Interesting fact: The first recorded record transfer was of Willie Groves from West Bromwich Albion to Aston Villa for £105. in 1893.
Thats £11,000 intodays market.

Not even sure about that. The Scottish Transfer record (yes I mean Scottish not British) is still only £12m.

Meant more why it was often referred to as a "british record" in papers rather than an "English record"?

I think it was because up until the late 90's the two big scottish clubs were paying similar transfer fees to the English clubs but when the PL money really kicked in the gap got wider and wider.

The record in Scotland was set at £12m in 2000 and still stands today I'm guessing around that time the English record I think was £19m which we spent on Stam 20 years late the English record is now £89m we paid for Pogba but Scottish teams have't even got close to their record next on the list is £9m for Edourd

Not even sure about that. The Scottish Transfer record (yes I mean Scottish not British) is still only £12m and the last Scottish team to break the British transfer record was Falkirk in 1922.

I'd suggest it's just to stop complaints like the above from Shoot even though they're different league's and the idea of a British football team would offend most.
There you go above, you just called it the British transfer record. Its folk like you who think England is the UK that encourage division.

In football terms there is a division. We aren't in a British league or have a British team.

It's an English league an English international team and the same for Scotland. We have an English FA and Scottish FA we are separate entities in every form.

Would you like a British national team, FA and League? Or shall we stick to the English transfer record to go along with the English league.

Is it okay to reference the Scottish Transfer record? Can guarantee if Celtic went and spent £60m on a player this summer there'd be lots of talk of them breaking the Scottish transfer record.

Again a pointless, boring conversation for no reason because you want to pick at something that isn't there.

On Raiola, he is always said to be Haalands agent, did the agreement move on from the original?

On Raiola, he is always said to be Haalands agent, did the agreement move on from the original?

From what I've heard he is there more as an advisor to handle the legal side of all the commercial deals through his agency and if he does move then he will be involved in the deal negotiating the players contract etc.

In terms of offering advice to the player that all seems to be done between father and son Erling will take advise from his dad over where he should move rather than the agent if he wants a second opinion.

I wouldn't rule out Haaland wanting another buy out arrangement from his next club obviously the price would be higher than any transfer fee paid but I don't think he'll want to be "trapped" at a club this next generation of players I think will want the freedom to move around.

In football terms there is a division. We aren't in a British league or have a British team.

It's an English league an English international team and the same for Scotland. We have an English FA and Scottish FA we are separate entities in every form.

Would you like a British national team, FA and League? Or shall we stick to the English transfer record to go along with the English league.

Is it okay to reference the Scottish Transfer record? Can guarantee if Celtic went and spent £60m on a player this summer there'd be lots of talk of them breaking the Scottish transfer record.

Again a pointless, boring conversation for no reason because you want to pick at something that isn't there.
I accept your point. Grudgingly :p
That said, I was talking to another, you stuck your oar in. As you do.

He's going nowhere, they've been rumoured to have slapped a 150m fee on him.

The way he speaks suggests he has no intention of going anywhere either as long as Dortmund qualify for the CL next season.

If he decides he wants to go I think he'll be able to drive that price down to get the move he wants but just don't see how any club can justify spending 100m or more on anyone this summer.

It will be a long road back from the damage done by Covid. Uniteds investments in youth over the last couple of years to compliment some who were already promising potential breakthroughs will serve the club well in the next couple of years alongside some additions.
Thats just how it is.

Haaland's agent is his dad Raiola is only really there to deal with commercial deals from what I've read/heard it's the player and his dad who will make the big calls on where they go next.

For us to stand a chance it probably rests on how much the player rates Ole they've been together in the past at Molde and he obviously knows his dad from international football so if there's a trust there then they might decide Utd is the best place for him. Selling Utd to any player over City though is tough apart from the moral issue of taking oil money from an oppressive regime and all that they do run a bloody good football club that right now is in a much better shape than ours.
It's correct what u say about his father , which becomes a major stumbling block for Utd. His father has never forgot/forgiven both player and club , for that Roy Keane ' tackle '

It's correct what u say about his father , which becomes a major stumbling block for Utd. His father has never forgot/forgiven both player and club , for that Roy Keane ' tackle '

Not totally sure how his dad feels towards Utd as a club the stuff with Keane is between him and Keane not the club.

As far as I know he’s got a good relationship with Ole they played together in the national team and Ole coached Haaland at Molde so you’d hope that may give us a foot in the door.

The player has always suggested he’s a Leeds fan and would love to play for them one day.

If Dortmund stick to their price tag like they did with Sancho last summer this lad isn’t going anywhere no club can pay £150m right now.

I think his Dad tried to sue both the club and Keane. When it was pointed out to him that it was his other knee that gave up the ghost following operations months after he returned to playing, his litigenous aspirations waned.

I think it was City that looked into legal action but it never actually went anywhere as the knee injury that eventually ended his career was an existing injury to his left knee he’d been managing before the Keane tackle which was to his right knee.

Haaland Snr has made his feelings towards Utd , very clear on many occasions.
There's definitely no love lost there !

I do not think he would hamper his own sons career because he has a grudge against a club, which incidentally I am not sure I agree with. There are other good reasons Haaland might decide to go elsewhere but I dont believe that is one of them.

The talk is one of the reasons he turned us down last time was he didn’t think the club wanted him it was only really Ole pushing it whereas Dortmund sent the whole lot to meet him.

Hard to see us coming out on top of it’s a direct choice between us and City he will pick City and who could blame him.

My gut feeling is he stays another season in Dortmund just don’t see any club having the cash to make that deal happen.

The only slight positive is the relationship between Raiola and pep

Haaland Snr and Raiola met with the new Barca president today apprently to discuss the potential of a move for Haaland.

Barca are always skint but they always find a way.

They'll find a bank to lend them some money and just kick the debt problem further and further down the road because they don't have shareholders there's no real obligation on them to manage their finances.

Anyway the deal with the player/agent is probably the easy bit the tricky bit will be dealing with Dortmund we found that last summer the price is the price and they'll stick to it. Barca won't be able to play their usual games to try and drive it down and I doubt Dortmund will want any of their cast offs as part of a deal.

My guess is Barca will be looking to get an agreement in place where they buy him next summer when that release clause kicks in.

They have great history, but with Messi going, Defence getting old, is this a club he'd want to join?

I guess the problem is, Madrid and City don't like Raiola.

Surely City must have someone lined up to let Kun go.

I wouldn't bank on Messi going my guess is he's staying and getting Haaland to come would be a good reason for him to stay.

I don't think anyone likes his agent but sadly he's got the players so you have to deal with him.

Who knows what City will do if the rumours about Haaland's salary demands are to be believed then they won't be going near him as he wants big bucks.

Cards on the table , whatever that lad wants ,pay it. He really is a once in a generation freak.
Playing at OT for 10+ years ? Tantalising!
Just wondering where Ole stands if he can't help sway it ?

You can’t pay him more than the current top earners yes he’s great but he needs to be put in with the top earners if he delivers for us then you bump him up the wage bill.

Cards on the table , whatever that lad wants ,pay it. He really is a once in a generation freak.
Playing at OT for 10+ years ? Tantalising!
Just wondering where Ole stands if he can't help sway it ?
His agent will be touting him around after a couple of seasons. My guess is one more move before he heads to Spain

If we're taking a player from Dortmund, I want Bellingham.
Totally agree. Both would be ideal but really like Bellingham - the way he played last night at 17 was incredible. Going to be a superstar midfielder and will take a mighty fee to get him from Dortmund.

Ornstein and Chapman Podcast

Honigstein has some pretty damning things to say about Haaland's attitude and application. Basically, billy big time who doesn't do much other than score goals.

Not like Levy is a joy to deal with either, but for that money, I'd prefer Kane. He's not going to kick up a fuss and push for a transfer in a few years, and doesn't seem to have the same attitude, even though he should, and offers much more. Imagine Bruno feeding Kane...

Yeah Haaland and his team just seem like too much bother.

I did read his dad and Raiola want 20m each

That was denied by the agent and they said fees and demands were not discussed with either club during their visit. The meetings were to discuss to clubs wider plans over the next few years. Hard to believe you travel all that way without letting those that need to know about the numbers are true.

Give me a lad that does nothing but score 40 goals a season up front and I’ll be happy I saw the highlights of the game last night laid one off nicely for Reus on the goal. Sounds to me like a bit of backlash to prepare the grounds for him leaving happens all the time when a player is looking to move suddenly the golden boy becomes a problem child. Can’t say I watch him every game but looks to me like he works hard for the team and it’s his job to score goals so yeah he can be a bit self focused some times.

Anyway this deal will be horribly expensive I don’t see Utd or any club being able to do it this summer. The risks if he got injured are just to big you won’t win anything with just Haaland look at Kane you need a quality team around him.

You only need to look at Pogba to see the trouble that's going to come along with him. For a club in our situation, building, we need a player we can rely to stay for his contract. Not one that is going to be up for sale every transfer window. It unsettles the club. Yes he is brilliant, but the trouble is too much for me. I'd rather sort other places out and give Greenwood a shout for now.
If we are going large for a forward, it's Kane every day for me.

You can’t pay him more than the current top earners yes he’s great but he needs to be put in with the top earners if he delivers for us then you bump him up the wage bill.
You.pay peanuts, you get monkeys !
How much was Igjalho getting paid in China ?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back