Erling Haaland

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Us and every other club in Europe have decided this kid is the answer to our problems.

Going to be a hell of a fight to get him and it will likely go down to who the kid wants to sign for next as wherever he goes he's going to earn a fortune so if we are going in there's big pressure on Ole to sell the club to him and convince him this is his best option for his next move.

good luck with that
My thoughts exactly. I hope I’m wrong but the stars are kind of aligning for City in my opinion. They need a replacement for Aguero, Jesus isn’t really cutting it and his dad obviously has the affiliation with the club (although didn’t actually play much for them in the end).

Would love him to come here because he’d be our number 9 for 10+ years if he wasn’t lured away. Just not sure we will be very high on his list of where he wants to go. Hope I’m massively wrong though!

Would love to get this guy, but I think we'd stand a better chance of landing Kane, especially if Jose keeps to his usual tricks.

The only thing for City is they have a pretty rigid wage structure if Haaland is demanding the big bucks he will have to fit in with the top earners at City they won't allow him to come in earning more than the established stars.

The stories doing the rounds recently are Mbappe wants £600k a week from his next deal which is basically what Neymar/Ronaldo/Messi all earn. When City heard that they walked away they don't want a situation where 1 player earns a lot more than everyone else as they know what happens ever other player will be in asking for that money. It's why they walked away from Alexis Sanchez in the end and Utd learned the hard way what happens if you do a deal like that.

So for City to be in it will need Haaland to be happy to fit within their pay structure if he's chasing a silly contract I think they'll stay clear of him. If he's happy to do that then yeah you have to see them as a serious contender in the fight for Haaland. The top earners at City are on £250-300k a week.

Lets be honest in terms of clubs right now that are in the frame you'd say it's Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, PSG, Man Utd, Man City and Bayern. You can probably rule out Barca as they are broke but these are the 7 sides in Europe that could possibly make this deal happen.

I think they've ruled out Bayern. He wants to move on from Germany and PSG.

But Liverpool was included in the list of clubs.

Most ridiculous thing is that it's taken a new management structure to be put together to come up with a list sitting with Haaland at the top. Could have thrown four 4 yr olds together and got the same result.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer and I doubt it takes hours and a new structure to come up with this plan and the story is just a piece from the MEN who are basically clickbait central.

The fact we tried to get the kid a year ago before he went to Dortmund suggests he's been on the radar for a long time I think he made a clever move going to Dortmund at the time.

If you're looking for a world class striker you start with the list of current ones and if it's not realistic to get one of them you then look at who you can get who might become one. We sort of tried that with Lukaku and it didn't work out.

Hopefully he will want to join a club that he can make positive contribution to coming ascendency. That would be us.

The structure might have sat down and thought right, we lose de gea, Martial and Cavani we free up about 800,000 grand a week wages

Nah. I've made a point of recently saying our down turn was because of him missing.

Just I think we'll struggle to keep him.

There's plenty of reason for any supporter to want him gone. I certainly did until his recent run of good form when I started to think again.
But he does this to us. I now simply take the view to just let things take their course. He is a match winner on his own when he wants to be, but then....
I wont be overly disappointed if he goes and as @Mr C has said it certainly free's up funds to further strengthen.

I would like Pogba to go because I don't think he'll ever be happy here and when things dip he'll get annoyed and the usual nonsense starts again so I'd rather take that cash and start fresh with someone else. However, when he shows you the glimpses of how good he really is you think no matter who we get he won't be as good as Pogba so do we keep trying with him?

I do still worry in the big games should you be moving your "star" CM out to the wings to accomodate him?

I don't think we've ever quite had the right balance with Pogba in the team and now with Bruno it's kind of Bruno's team from an attacking point in the midfield so how do you squeeze Pogba in?

Anyway if Utd were to sign Haaland like City they need to get him in for the right reasons and that means fitting into the pay structure we can't do the Sanchez thing again if Haaland comes he would need to be fitting into our pay structure. This kid is the closest I've seen to RvN since Ruud left he's just head down one track mind goals goals goals and like Rooney he's got the body of a man despite only just being out of his teens. If he avoids injury it's scary to think what he could achieve because he's almost unstoppable.

They showed his stats on the MNF last night where Henry was talking about him in the CL this kid has 20 goals in 14 games and a shot conversion rate of 44% which is just off the scales good.

Lets be honest, the chances of us getting Haaland are slim. I imagine he'll go to city.

We are at a crossroads. One path leads to domination, trophies, titles; the other leads to mediocrity. We spent big in the past and were the best team in the world for years. It's that simple: buy Haaland. I don't care about his agent or wage structure. I want our owners to get us back onto the path of being contenders. Buy Haaland. It's a no-brainer.

We are at a crossroads. One path leads to domination, trophies, titles; the other leads to mediocrity. We spent big in the past and were the best team in the world for years. It's that simple: buy Haaland. I don't care about his agent or wage structure. I want our owners to get us back onto the path of being contenders. Buy Haaland. It's a no-brainer.
One suspects you run a fruit shop

Did Utd ever rule the world when we signed the big names or did we buy wisely and turn players into big names?

Utd in the past were mainly successful because the spent wisely and they were able to bully the English sides into selling them their top talent strengthen yourself and at the same time weaken a rival secure domestic domination. That doesn't really work anymore the TV deal allowed everyone to get rich and new owners at City/Chelsea made our domestic market way more competitive. I mean wind the clock back 10 years and players like Bale or Kane would have joined Utd from Spurs in their prime but that advantage we had is gone now.

Haaland does feel like a once in a generation talent we missed him once I'm not sure we can afford to miss him again especially if he joins a domestic rival.

We broke several transfer records during our heyday. Keane, Rio, Veron, Rooney, were all records, currently Pogba and Maguire. It usually works. Not recently tho’. We’ve never been thrifty in the Premiere League era. Our owners must know had they bought Bruno during that first window instead of waiting until January, and if they bought Haaland, we’d be Champions. We’re in second and running on fumes. Haaland and one other top player and we’d have it, making players like McTominay and Fred rise above. We’re close. But we are also in danger of being the new Arsenal, always bridesmaids and never the bride.

We've only broken the world record once which was Pogba not that it really matters but as you say plenty of big buys in recent years haven't really worked can add Di Maria, Lukaku and Fred to your list. Just look at that shambles of a squad Barcelona have gone full of ridiculously priced players who've all flopped.

The key isn't buying big it's buying right you have to identify the right man for the job and get him, the price paid then becomes irrelavant. Everyone knows Maguire cost £80m anyone know what Bruno cost? I sure as hell don't because he's done his job no one ever mentions what he cost us and from memory it was a lot of money.

Haaland looks so good he'd justify any transfer fee anyone paid so he's a bit of an exception but Utd need to be buying well and not worrying about transfer prices. Where they do have to keep a grip though is wages because dressing room harmony is vital in any club everyone needs to fit within the wage structure.

Is that true, pretty sure Keane was a record signing, Robson, Rio was most expensive english transfer.

Don't think thats true JSP

It is true.

Newcastle United have broken the record twice though.

wow, that is surprising.

Broken the English record a few times then, so Cosmic just needs to change it to that, his point still stands though. We did buy big to get the best and stop our rivals getting them.

I personally don't see us as an option for Haaland, he's going to city

Is that true, pretty sure Keane was a record signing, Robson, Rio was most expensive english transfer.

Don't think thats true JSP

Said World Record the only time we've broken the world record as far as I know was Pogba.

We've paid some big fees at the time Keane, Cole, Rio, Veron, Berbatov I think all broke the English transfer record but many would argue 2 of those were flops so spending money doesn't always work out.

It will be really interesting to see what Haaland goes for if he does go this summer the talk is he's got an 80m buy out next season will Dortmund be able to ask for more than that? Realistically with Covid wiping out every clubs cash reserves bar the nation states can anyone actually afford to buy him.

The transfer market will be a minefield this summer as buying clubs will expect prices to drop and selling clubs will be acting like nothing has changed.

The buy out next year is £60m I believe.

Mental to think that Haaland and Mbappe could leave next summer for a combined £60m if they hold out this summer.

Imagine they did that and end up at the same club.

I think Mpabbe is just interested in football, straight to Madrid.

Haaland's agent wants money, he'll do prem then Spain.

There's conflicting reports over how much it is as it's not something that is public record I've seen 50-80m euro touted so who knows what it actually is. What would a club realstically be able to pay over the buyout maybe 25% over the buyout to get him a year early?

Yeah it's potentially pivotal moments for big clubs so many of them need to freshen up the front lines and the two hottest young talents on the planet are potentially up for grabs in the next 2 summers all at a time when clubs are broke.

Whoever lands these two is going to have a serious advantage over the rivals.

I see Haaland & Mbappe as "globetrotters" I think they'll want to spend a few years in each place and move on experience everything in Europe so at some point I think both will want to play in England, Italy & Spain over the next decade. Will be interesting to see if domestically their paths ever cross like we saw with Ronaldo/Messi in Spain.

I mean imagine PSG manage to tie down Mbappe and Neymar then try to throw everything at Haaland that front 3 would be unreal but would be a nightmare for any manager.

I think Mpabbe is just interested in football, straight to Madrid.

Haaland's agent wants money, he'll do prem then Spain.

Haaland's agent is his dad Raiola is only really there to deal with commercial deals from what I've read/heard it's the player and his dad who will make the big calls on where they go next.

For us to stand a chance it probably rests on how much the player rates Ole they've been together in the past at Molde and he obviously knows his dad from international football so if there's a trust there then they might decide Utd is the best place for him. Selling Utd to any player over City though is tough apart from the moral issue of taking oil money from an oppressive regime and all that they do run a bloody good football club that right now is in a much better shape than ours.

wow, that is surprising.

Broken the English record a few times then, so Cosmic just needs to change it to that, his point still stands though. We did buy big to get the best and stop our rivals getting them.

I personally don't see us as an option for Haaland, he's going to city
Is that the British record your talking about?

As it's the English Premier League could he not just be referring to the English record? You'd have a point if it was a British league.

Really do have a chip on your shoulder.

Yeah never understood why people used to call it a British transfer record when the leagues are not combined guess it was a phrase used during the late 80's/early 90's when the Glasgow clubs were spending big on transfers.

I'm actually still amazed we've only broken the world fee once and that was recently. I guess that was a time Madrid was spending big.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back