Erik ten Hag named new United manager

Since I'm prone to hyperbole today, I'll just come out and say it. Playing Shaw in the derby as the CB marking the best striker in the league who doesn't feed the children is peak Fergie. The way he was transformed the mentality of the side since the first two matches, and the 6-3 has been nothing short of genius. He's got Rashford and Shaw playing at world class levels, despite the turgid performances they put in last season. AWB looks a player reborn. We have an actual midfield for the first time since Fergie's midfield glaucoma really took root. Defensively, we are composed, organized and don't give away silly goals. Hell, he's even got Varane fit for extended periods. Can't say enough about the work he's done.

City dominated the second half until Ten Hag introduced Garnacho and moved Rashford to centre forward. Credit to Ten Hag, the change made difference.

Since I'm prone to hyperbole today, I'll just come out and say it. Playing Shaw in the derby as the CB marking the best striker in the league who doesn't feed the children is peak Fergie. The way he was transformed the mentality of the side since the first two matches, and the 6-3 has been nothing short of genius. He's got Rashford and Shaw playing at world class levels, despite the turgid performances they put in last season. AWB looks a player reborn. We have an actual midfield for the first time since Fergie's midfield glaucoma really took root. Defensively, we are composed, organized and don't give away silly goals. Hell, he's even got Varane fit for extended periods. Can't say enough about the work he's done.
It is hard not to get carried away with the transformation of the club since the 6-3. At that point we had nothing, no team, no belief, no confidence, no spirit, no fight, no club.. Lots of infighting and dressing room leaks. Fast forward 3 months, and the change has been nothing short of a miracle. We now have a well organised team with players fighting for each other and the shirt, a strong mentaility and team spirit. Most negative influences have been removed, and the players have improved with coaching. Once again, we have a togetherness as a club, team and fans. After 70 mins today I would have accepted a 1-0 defeat because we had competed and could see the progress we are making. We now defend as a team with the back line marshalled brilliantly by Varane and shielded expertly by Casemiro. We can now control periods of the game without possession. A place in the starting 11 has to be earned on merit, with very health competition for each position (except goalkeeper perhaps). This is all due to the manager and how he rules with an understated single-minded focus, and surrounds himself with the right coaching team. He makes brave calculated decisions; would any of us have thought to pit Shaw against Haaland? He has us believing we can be a force once again, quicker than we had hoped or anticipated. I have no doubt Sancho will return a better player under EtH's guidance. He also has other managers thinking about us now, and it was interesting to see Pep make his 'ridiculous plans' comment in the week. A season that was perhaps written off to make progress may yet prove to be successful.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what he's changed, because the answer is; everything. It's more than just bringing in a few quality players, which he's done, it's all of that stuff @RVN mentioned. We've brought in class players before without this effect. but he's changed the culture and expectations, and actually been able to enforce them, which I didn't see coming. I said somewhere in this thread that I thought he'd be gone inside 2 years because these players would down tools and pull their usual disappearing act when things got tough. I didn't think the players had it in them to buy in and check their egos. I didn't think the board had it in them to let him get rid of marketable 'star' players like Ronaldo or sit Maguire/Shaw/AWB/McFred/Sancho when they weren't performing to standard. I think bringing in Antony and Martinez, two players who knew expectations and would run through walls for him, massively helped. Casemiro likewise. His reaction to the first two matches really did set the tone for things to come.

I think the biggest difference is they are being coached. And players respond to that. If you've got a manager who knows what he's doing, analyses the games with you and points things out, then I guess you feel there is a vision and buy into it. You trust him.
Bruno said a lot changed when ETH ran the extra miles Brentford ran on the following day. The players knew he wasn't just blaming them, they are a team and everyone is responsible together

I think the biggest difference is they are being coached. And players respond to that. If you've got a manager who knows what he's doing, analyses the games with you and points things out, then I guess you feel there is a vision and buy into it. You trust him.
Bruno said a lot changed when ETH ran the extra miles Brentford ran on the following day. The players knew he wasn't just blaming them, they are a team and everyone is responsible together
I think that’s the big thing, there is an experienced coaching team in there that knows what they are doing. We finally look like a team and it’s obviously very early days, but I can see signs of the old times returning.

I don't think it's as simple as the Manager having staff that know what they are doing, I'm sure David Moyes, LvH and Mourinho's staff did as well. Or is it just a pop at Ole?

Thought EtH had dropped a bullock keeping Rashford on against City, he looked done for, and if Martial had not needed to go off he would almost certainly have gone off, and Rashford staying on tipped the game in City's favour as they knew he couldn't sprint to make up the distances to protect the fullback, or sprint forward on a counter-attack. Great that he scored the winner, , but was he too brave for his own good, and should the Manager have taken the decision away from him?

If he(Rashford)has any discomfort in training in the next few days I wouldn't even bother taking him to Crystal Palace midweek, best he rest up with Arsenal(A) next Saturday in mind.

I think the most impressive thing I've seen so far is the change in culture at the club. It feels like a well run professional outfit now not the mess it's been for the last decade. ETH seems to have it under control, he's got the respect of the players and he's keeping them under his control.

There was obviously departures of a number of big personalities in the summer and another in January along with a few lads who were just hanging around. It feels like the unhappy squad members are now pretty much all gone everyone who is here clearly wants to be here. It feels like there's a team spirit there now that had been missing for the last 12 months. Ole seemed to be getting that going in his first few years but it all fizzled out last season so lets see if ETH can sustain it. I think what killed Ole was the inability to move players on his squad got to big and eventually it divided into camps who were all battling each other.

Maybe a few bad results will see the whispers from the dressing room appear again but from that side of things it's all gone very quiet. The players who aren't playing are all quiet we aren't hearing all these leaks from players anymore it feels like everyone inside the club is pulling in the same direction again.

There isn't unnecessary noise from the manager either he keeps his press conferences short and to the point he doesn't attract headlines by saying outrageous things which I think is another positive.

He's got a great chances to land top 4 and a trophy in his first season which will be a great achievement.

I think the most impressive thing I've seen so far is the change in culture at the club. It feels like a well run professional outfit now not the mess it's been for the last decade. ETH seems to have it under control, he's got the respect of the players and he's keeping them under his control.
The manager is the most important person at a club. Always has been, always will be.

I don't think it's as simple as the Manager having staff that know what they are doing, I'm sure David Moyes, LvH and Mourinho's staff did as well. Or is it just a pop at Ole?
Pretty sure Mourinho did plenty of that there coaching, and when players didn't take to it, he wanted them replaced. Turns out, he was right about Martial and Pogba. Shaw has matured and shown that he doesn't need the managers brain to tell him where to be.

This squad had previous for tuning out the manager, downing tools and then turning to social media to protect their brand. Changing that culture is ETH's version of Fergie vs Drink Culture.

Pretty sure Mourinho did plenty of that there coaching, and when players didn't take to it, he wanted them replaced. Turns out, he was right about Martial and Pogba. Shaw has matured and shown that he doesn't need the managers brain to tell him where to be.

This squad had previous for tuning out the manager, downing tools and then turning to social media to protect their brand. Changing that culture is ETH's version of Fergie vs Drink Culture.

That is very much open to debate. Correction, should be.

Would the Mourinho version have played out of position against the league’s top goal scorer and bossed it? Debate over.

Think it was more Varane and Casemiro that dealt with Haaland, debate very much still open.

And as much as it pains me to agree with anything Mourinho said he was bang on the money with his opinion of Shaw, he has improved slightly but he still doesn't get it, and if he is in the right position occasionally without being guided it's as much down to luck as good judgement.

Anyho it's a EtH thread ....

Looks like EtH is buying into the Luke Shaw love-in as well, but it will all end in tears if he perseveres with Shaw at LCB i'm telling you.

Think it was more Varane and Casemiro that dealt with Haaland, debate very much still open.

And as much as it pains me to agree with anything Mourinho said he was bang on the money with his opinion of Shaw, he has improved slightly but he still doesn't get it, and if he is in the right position occasionally without being guided it's as much down to luck as good judgement.

Anyho it's a EtH thread ....
"Shaw was given the credit for that given he was directly up against Haaland but the defender says it was a team effort to shutdown the service to the Norway international."

Not entirely sure the title is accurate, but clearly he's repeatedly positioned himself to win the ball and cut off the supply to Haaland. Maybe Mourinho left his brain behind when he left...which might explain his managerial prowess of late. Which certainly isn't nearly as impressive as ETH's. See what I did there? Circle squared. Debate over. Again.

"Shaw was given the credit for that given he was directly up against Haaland but the defender says it was a team effort to shutdown the service to the Norway international."

Not entirely sure the title is accurate, but clearly he's repeatedly positioned himself to win the ball and cut off the supply to Haaland. Maybe Mourinho left his brain behind when he left...which might explain his managerial prowess of late. Which certainly isn't nearly as impressive as ETH's. See what I did there? Circle squared. Debate over. Again.

Not sure what that video proved as Haaland was rarely in the same postcode. Catchy tune though, in an annoying way.

And the debate is far from over, the lad has been the highest paid left-back in the League for 8+ years yet he's only recently got back into the England squad because of his direct rivals for the LB position being injured. And there's a good reason for that. Great in the middle third of the pitch going forward as long as he can keep the ball on his only foot, but defensively ....

Not sure what that video proved as Haaland was rarely in the same postcode. Catchy tune though, in an annoying way.

And the debate is far from over, the lad has been the highest paid left-back in the League for 8+ years yet he's only recently got back into the England squad because of his direct rivals for the LB position being injured. And there's a good reason for that. Great in the middle third of the pitch going forward as long as he can keep the ball on his only foot, but defensively ....
Luke Shaw: How 'honest' assessment led to dropped defender becoming leader for Erik ten Hag at Man Utd

None of that is relevant. The point you were debating was whether he had massively improved from the Mourinho era. Sky Sports agrees with me. He undoubtably has.

Luke Shaw: How 'honest' assessment led to dropped defender becoming leader for Erik ten Hag at Man Utd

None of that is relevant. The point you were debating was whether he had massively improved from the Mourinho era. Sky Sports agrees with me. He undoubtably has.

Nowhere have I said he hasn't improved, he has, which is pretty decent of him considering he's been one of the highest paid fullbacks for 8 years, but he is still nowhere near the level he could've been if he'd listened and learned(and let's be honest he had enough time out with injuries to watch videos/talk to former pros who'd excelled in his position), and not just felt sorry for himself. He had a bad injury granted but players have comeback from much worse, ffs it took him nearly 5 years to get to a level that was nearly acceptable again, now he has a few decent games and he's Shawberto again, it's beyond laughable.

Oh well if SkySports agree with you ....

Nowhere have I said he hasn't improved, he has, which is pretty decent of him considering he's been one of the highest paid fullbacks for 8 years, but he is still nowhere near the level he could've been if he'd listened and learned(and let's be honest he had enough time out with injuries to watch videos/talk to former pros who'd excelled in his position), and not just felt sorry for himself. He had a bad injury granted but players have comeback from much worse, ffs it took him nearly 5 years to get to a level that was nearly acceptable again, now he has a few decent games and he's Shawberto again, it's beyond laughable.

Oh well if SkySports agree with you ....
Yep he’s a massive fraud, sell him.

I fail to see how anyone can slag Shaw, yet defend Maguire.

It's just fair criticism because there's so much more to come from Shaw(if he want's it enough, and I don't think he does), unlike what Maguire receives even when he's not playing.

To advance we'll probably need to move both on though.

Honestly lads did anyone think ETH was this good?

He's an absolute class act in front of the camera, he's handling the players brilliantly, he's attracted some top players who put the team over themselves and he's got Utd ticking again.

Turtle Necks must be doing a roaring trade in Manchester these days.

no, I knew he would improve things, but this fast, no.

Be amazing if he see's off Klopp and Pep :D

I expected him to be good at the tactics and coaching stuff but I didn't expect him to be this good at man management with the players and he's brilliant at dealing with the press.

He's had some difficult stuff to deal with and I think he's got pretty much all of it spot on. He took on arguably the most famous footballer on the planet and won the argument to the point where no one ever talks about Ronaldo anymore we've all moved on from it.

He is very good at changing matches with his subs.

Big thing last night was at the final whistle he didn't go on to the pitch charging around to be the centre of attention he shook Xavi's hand then every member of his squad and coaching team as they came down the steps before going on to the pitch. That team ethic seems to be really building and it's great to see.

His signings have been immense. You will never lose a game easy with the likes of Martinez and Casemiro in your team, these guys are an absolute pleasure to watch. Monsters of the game! and others either step up to have the honour of sharing a pitch with them or they crumble.
EtH uses the squad brilliantly and his record for getting the tactics and making the right changes is so good. Losing players to injury and suspension doesn't seem to have much negative effect. There's a whole different mentality and supporting United is once again an immense pleasure.

His signings have been immense. You will never lose a game easy with the likes of Martinez and Casemiro in your team, these guys are an absolute pleasure to watch. Monsters of the game! and others either step up to have the honour of sharing a pitch with them or they crumble.
EtH uses the squad brilliantly and his record for getting the tactics and making the right changes is so good. Losing players to injury and suspension doesn't seem to have much negative effect. There's a whole different mentality and supporting United is once again an immense pleasure.
I should of said in the above post, Malacia is another tiger. He is forcing the best out of Shaw to stay in front of him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back