Erik ten Hag named new United manager

Just listened to a podcast with McCalridge/McClaren

They are planning on changing the attitude around the club, which is great news. No more flapping arms and complaing (cough....Bruno) they want positivity. Don't do it, you're out.

'You have to be ready, have to be ready to train, you have to be ready to play, ready to impact as a sub, you have to react,' he said.

'A lot of people now, body language arms up in the air, you've got to react to get that ball back, win that ball back, whatever situation, react quick don't think about it.'

This is great news for me to hear, because I have absolutely hated that about this team.

I certainly think there are going to be changes from the new coaches. I think Ten Hag is going to change the attitudes of the players and if they don't change then they'll be out of the club.

From what I understand Ten Hag is meticulous and will really drive these players to be the best they can be so that's good.

But they start preseason training on Monday and there are no new additions. And no sales either. And for me that's going to be a problem for Ten Hag and every manager who comes in. Whilst the Glazers are in charge I just don't see things changing at United. I think they'll be a top 4 team at best until the Glazers sell.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just seen his 5 rules to implimented

Anyone late to team meetings/training will be dropped from the next squad.
No alcohol during a match week.
No personal chef's, their main meal should be consumed at carrington, he has overhauled the menu.
Anyone unhapppy needs to go see him. No running to agents
Weekly BMI check to check they are not getting overweight.

IF this is true, then wow, good luck with that and this bunch mate, they'll be downing tools by Christmas.

If true, I’m glad he is implementing his own ideas and rules. Some may not like it but if any players kick off then they can be rooted out as the bad apples. I think overall the harmony in the squad may well be better without certain guys who have left now.

I’m looking forward to the season regardless of what players come in. We’ve still got a lot of talent in the squad and sometimes you need a good coach to revitalise. I compare it to the England Test team - we have changed completely under a new coach but the actual players haven’t changed too much.

I'm really looking forward to this season, and the things I have been reading about ETH have been really positive and exactly what we needed.

I also think a decent coach could extract more out of this squad, but no way can we start next season without a couple of midfielders. That is key. We could probably scrape by the other positions. But not really challange for much.

Think the meals thing is a ridiculous situation everyone's body is different and diet has to be tailored to your digestive system to get the best results so unless we're giving each player their own individual diet to follow it doesn't actually make sense.

I wonder if that's been slightly lost in translation as one of the things that came out was that he wants players to go back to eating together as a group at the training ground but dictating exactly what they eat is probably a bit far.

Think the meals thing is a ridiculous situation everyone's body is different and diet has to be tailored to your digestive system to get the best results so unless we're giving each player their own individual diet to follow it doesn't actually make sense.
Tailored meals, but at Carrington

How long until ETH realises he's made a big mistake? Or perhaps he's already reached that point.

Fair enough
Why yawn? So what people can't discuss what a disaster the first month of the transfer market has been? You want to put a positive spin on things? Go ahead...

Pogba - Gone
Lingard - Gone
Cavani - Gone
Mata - Gone
Matic- Gone
Henderson - Gone
Periera - Pretty much Gone

Malacia - Signed
Eriksen - Pretty much signed
De Jong - In talks
Martinez - In talks

By all accounts the training ground is buzzing again players all look fresh and there seems to be harmony again.

Not saying it's been perfect but for a guy who's been behind his desk for 2 weeks I think that's a cracking start.

Why yawn? So what people can't discuss what a disaster the first month of the transfer market has been? You want to put a positive spin on things? Go ahead...
Disaster? At this point you are just trying to wind everybody up.

It’s been nowhere near a disaster.

Fair enough

Pogba - Gone
Lingard - Gone
Cavani - Gone
Mata - Gone
Matic- Gone
Henderson - Gone
Periera - Pretty much Gone

Malacia - Signed
Eriksen - Pretty much signed
De Jong - In talks
Martinez - In talks

By all accounts the training ground is buzzing again players all look fresh and there seems to be harmony again.

Not saying it's been perfect but for a guy who's been behind his desk for 2 weeks I think that's a cracking start.
The fact is this :
Pogba, Lingard, Cavani,Mata, Matic, Grant and Henderson gone.
Malacia and Eriksen in.
Martial, Telles unwanted.
Ronaldo want to go.
No established RW.
You can talk about any over players, they are not here yet.
That look terrible and we soon start the preseason tour.

How on earth can this summer so far not be anything but a disaster. City have added a world class striker and a top PL midfielder. Liverpool have added a really good young player with a lot of potential. Both already had fantastic squads anyway.

Arsenal and Spurs, who both finished comfortably ahead of united, have upgraded their team. Spurs are adding a lot of quality, Arsenal continue to add too.

Chelsea so far have been quiet but they'll get business done. Could get Ronaldo, could get involved for De Jong.

United... Well they've added a back up LB, a very good attacking rotational player and um oh yeah that's it. They could add Martinez but he's probably a #3 CB to start the year. And the talks for De Jong have gone on so long that I'm sure they won't happen. And whilst am exodus was needed they lost quality in the process. They've not gotten rid of some of the dead wood they needed to.

The fact is this :
Pogba, Lingard, Cavani,Mata, Matic, Grant and Henderson gone.
Malacia and Eriksen in.
Martial, Telles unwanted.
Ronaldo want to go.
No established RW.
You can talk about any over players, they are not here yet.
That look terrible and we soon start the preseason tour.

Again he has been here 2 weeks, we have 1 month before the real games start, 2 months before the window shuts.

Lets judge the first window under the new regime at the end not the start.

They have made a good start but there’s still a lot to be done to make it a great one

Chelsea so far have been quiet but they'll get business done. Could get Ronaldo, could get involved for De Jong.

United... Well they've added a back up LB, a very good attacking rotational player and um oh yeah that's it. They could add Martinez but he's probably a #3 CB to start the year. And the talks for De Jong have gone on so long that I'm sure they won't happen. And whilst am exodus was needed they lost quality in the process. They've not gotten rid of some of the dead wood they needed to.

Chelsea currently have a new owner with no experience of football managing their transfer window.

They've had to take a terrible deal to send Lukaku on loan
They are gambling that Sterling isn’t in decline
Ronaldo looks like a sticking plaster
Rudiger and Christensen gone on frees, Azpilucueta and Alonso both want to leave.

If I was a Chelsea fan I’d be very worried about the lack of signings at centre back.

The deadwood will take time these players are not going to be other clubs number 1 priority signings they’ll likely be last minute trolley dash sales as clubs look to fill squads out and we will likely have to accept poor deals to get them out. There is a reason we don’t want these players and it’s the same reason other clubs don’t want to buy them from us they earn loads of money and aren’t very good. There isn’t much the new boss can do about that these are legacy problems caused by Woodward/Ole.

There is 1 month before we play a game hopefully we can get 2 or 3 in before the games start and get Ronaldo out the door too. If I was giving it a grade right now I’d say it’s a C but there’s still a lot to be done.

There is 1 month before we play a game hopefully we can get 2 or 3 in before the games start and get Ronaldo out the door too. If I was giving it a grade right now I’d say it’s a C but there’s still a lot to be done.
2 or 3 in? That's not enough with Ronaldo likely going. They need 2 x CMs and a CF... Plus a RB and RW. Now that's going to be very unlikely.

I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We are not going to get everybody in we need in this transfer window. We have 2, assuming Eriksen is done, so if we can bring in 2 or 3 more I think that would be a decent effort. I am hoping that ETH can improve some of the players we already have and if we are lucky maybe introduce a couple of the youngsters. Things would need to fall into place a little bit but if those things were to happen I think we will be challenging for top 4. I am not the most positive person in the world when it comes to United but lets at least give ETH a bit of time and a chance to do his thing.

2 or 3 in? That's not enough with Ronaldo likely going. They need 2 x CMs and a CF... Plus a RB and RW. Now that's going to be very unlikely.

It should be enough to compete for top 4 it won’t be enough to win the league but it will be a decent start. Sounds like Martinez and Eriksen will be the pogba and Matic replacements and hopefully De Jong adds that extra quality we need. Malacia hopefully gives us a better option than Telles so it’s all progress.

A right back and an attacker will be helpful addition but it won’t be job done.

For me it’s a 3 window rebuild of the entire squad. Summer/January/Summer.

Next season we will need to be patient and probably try some of the kids like Laird, Garner, Hannibal, Amad, Pellistri and Elanga and see who can hack it.

I think the CM recruitment is crucial for any progression next season

I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We are not going to get everybody in we need in this transfer window. We have 2, assuming Eriksen is done, so if we can bring in 2 or 3 more I think that would be a decent effort. I am hoping that ETH can improve some of the players we already have and if we are lucky maybe introduce a couple of the youngsters. Things would need to fall into place a little bit but if those things were to happen I think we will be challenging for top 4. I am not the most positive person in the world when it comes to United but lets at least give ETH a bit of time and a chance to do his thing.
Some sense spoken! 100% agree.

It should be enough to compete for top 4 it won’t be enough to win the league but it will be a decent start. Sounds like Martinez and Eriksen will be the pogba and Matic replacements and hopefully De Jong adds that extra quality we need. Malacia hopefully gives us a better option than Telles so it’s all progress
I don't think it'll be enough to get top 4. United were already behind Spurs Arsenal and Chelsea and as things stand I don't think that gap is any smaller. In fact despite their clear problems I'd say Chelsea are a little further ahead and Spurs and Arsenal are absolutely ahead of united. One midfielder isn't enough, that united midfield is garbage.

Chelsea currently have a new owner with no experience of football managing their transfer window.

They've had to take a terrible deal to send Lukaku on loan
They are gambling that Sterling isn’t in decline
Ronaldo looks like a sticking plaster
Rudiger and Christensen gone on frees, Azpilucueta and Alonso both want to leave.

If I was a Chelsea fan I’d be very worried about the lack of signings at centre back.

The deadwood will take time these players are not going to be other clubs number 1 priority signings they’ll likely be last minute trolley dash sales as clubs look to fill squads out and we will likely have to accept poor deals to get them out. There is a reason we don’t want these players and it’s the same reason other clubs don’t want to buy them from us they earn loads of money and aren’t very good. There isn’t much the new boss can do about that these are legacy problems caused by Woodward/Ole.

Well, Sterling is not in decline at all. He always played well when called. They need to replace Rudiger and Christensen that is all. They have Chiwell and James to replace Alonso and Azpi. They don't need to replace Lukaku, they played without him almost all season. And they will use Gallagher to replace Kante.

I don't think it'll be enough to get top 4. United were already behind Spurs Arsenal and Chelsea and as things stand I don't think that gap is any smaller. In fact despite their clear problems I'd say Chelsea are a little further ahead and Spurs and Arsenal are absolutely ahead of united. One midfielder isn't enough, that united midfield is garbage.

I think you just want to take the negative position and I really don't know why. We're doing what everyone wanted we've appointed an exciting manager that plays a modern style who is known for developing players, we've started clearing out the players who don't perform and don't want to be here and we're starting to get some new faces in.

I think the work done so far will lead to us getting higher points total than we got last season.

As things stand right now I expect Utd/Spurs to get more points, Arsenal to do about the same and Chelsea to do worse. How that shakes out in the league table we'll see in May but for me we're in that top 4 race if things go our way we'll hopefully get it if it doesn't we might end up 6th again.

Look if you want to call it negative then fine. To me I'm looking at it realistically and being honest. And as someone who's not really a fan of the club like you guys are I think I can look at it more objectively than you can. And that's fine, fans want to be positive and want to be optimistic.

For me Spurs look much better than last year. Arsenal have improved and so I'd expect them to get more points. Chelsea well look that remains to be seen but Tuchel is a proven manager and they'll add.

Have United made a good appointment? Yes I think they have. Have they potentially lost some of the guys who were an issue? Yes I think perhaps they have. But as we sit here today this United team is not in a better position. They've added a young back up LB and a rotational attacking player. Their top goalscorer last year wants to leave and they are displaying the same transfer behaviours they seem to every year... I.e. not getting deals wrapped up.

Ten Hag wants to play modern football but he doesn't have the players to do so. Not even close right now.

So sure call me negative that's fine. Believe it or not I want to be positive about the team but I just don't see it.

I think for this manager to stand any chance against the BBC pundits, and press, we need CM signings.

If we don't get those, and quality ones, then I fear ETH is doomed. We cannot go into this season with the midfield we have. I do hope we have not tossed all our eggs into the De Jong basket. Because that deal is getting trickier by the day.

I think they're actually showing something new they've actually told players who for years would be given contract after contract to go that is new.

It is all on paper though I do agree Spurs are looking good they've clearly had 6 months to plan their summer window and they're signing up good players on paper and they have a great manager I think they'll be third next season. The Arsenal love in I just don't get they've signed a centre mid none of us will have watched closely and a centre forward who has a similar scoring record to Lacazette. I'm just not seeing a massive step forward at the moment from them they've made a good start to the window but they haven't anything to make me think they're going to shoot up the league next season. I also think their squad is going to be stretched much more by the european matches than it was last season and the big issue at Arsenal was squad depth. Chelsea could easily implode all the red flags that an implosion is coming are there and they've also struggled to attract players so far.

Utd are in the process of reshaping the squad these things take time if we get the Eriksen deal done then that's 2 in before the tour which is pretty good but the next challenge is can we get in 2 more before the actual games start. Players don't learn anything in pre season matches they are pointless it's all about fitness work as long as they're doing pre season somewhere I'm not bothered.

Just think your attitude is Utd's current players can't be better these players are all good players with a proper manager I think they will function better which will deliver more points than last season where we stopped trying in March. Obviously if we don't find some centre mids we are probably screwed but if we get De Jong and Martinez who can play in midfield I think we've got something to work with and something we can hopefully get behind.

I think I can look at Utd pretty objectively even though I'm a fan who didn't chuck the towel in on them because in football once you pick a team you are stuck with them. There's still tonnes of negatives about Utd for next season. I'm not convinced the keeper will adapt to the new style, I think both our right backs are awful, centre mid is still a hole, no one to play on the right and no one to play up front if Ronaldo goes.

I am however optimistic that a few of them issues will be solved before the season starts and if they're not well it's going to be another tough season.

I don't think Jesus is a good signing, his stats for playing in a team like city who create an absolute bloodbath of chances is not great. He is no superstar signing. And their manager I don't rate at all. Arsenal are nowhere near the quality of united.

If united sign the 3 players being linked, (plus the 2 we have, although Eriksen isn't confirmed) then I put them above Chelsea and Spurs in terms of squads. The difficulty will be ETH lack of prem experience, which I guess is where McClaridge comes in.

I actually don't think Liverpool will be as close to City next season either.

The more I read about De Jong, I don't think he's going to Chelsea, it's united or stay. Sounds like the money owed in wages is the big issue.

We need to get these deals over the line quickly, so the manager can prepare properly.

I'm not sure how much the prem experience matters he's been manager at Ajax so he knows what it's like to manage a team where every side you play will raise their game to try and beat you.

McClaren I think can bring certain small details to ETH and the new players who might not realise just how much everyone hates us and wants to beat us. Does anyone in this league not think of Utd as some sort of rival?

The major difference is whatever happens to Utd is always on the back pages or first up on the rolling news/podcasts/websites. Win, Lose or Draw Utd are in the headlines and the fans will want questions answered. The scale of it is the only thing he'll need to grasp and I think the tour will be good preparation for that I remember Moyes saying he couldn't believe how much bigger Utd was than Everton until he went on the pre season tour.

His first headache is going to be once the press conferences start and he's got to deal with the big issue of Ronaldo. He probably didn't want that headache but how he handles it will be interesting as so far he's not really had to face the media. He certainly isn't going to win the media over with charm he'll need to win them over with results/performances.

Just think your attitude is Utd's current players can't be better these players are all good players with a proper manager I think they will function better which will deliver more points than last season where we stopped trying in March. Obviously if we don't find some centre mids we are probably screwed but if we get De Jong and Martinez who can play in midfield I think we've got something to work with and something we can hopefully get behind.
My view is that a lot of the players aren't good enough. The RB, whoever it is going to be, isn't good enough. Maguire isn't good enough and Varane struggled with injuries. Shaw is adequate but adequate isn't great but for now and with Malacia coming in I think they'll take that.

In midfield I mean they are a mess. They need De Jong plus one more (be that Martinez or whoever) and they now need at least 1 attacker. And in fact with Ronaldo seemingly on his way they probably need 2. I guess you could argue with Eriksen on his way in they need just 1 for now. I don't think Rashford is that good, I think Martial is useless and I think Elanga is decent but nothing more. Sancho has so much talent so there's definitely hope there.

Now that was never going to happen in one summer and that's fine. United need to rebuild and that's going to take time. But as things stand I don't think they are going to get the right business done this summer (sorry but years of failings in the transfer market have led to that view) and that's going to put them in a bad position next year.

Right now they need to sign a RB, 2 x CMs and an attacking player as a minimum this summer. I just don't think they are going to do that. I don't think they'll get a RB, I think they'll get 1 CM and I'm not sure about in attack. And even that is then having to make do with Shaw (or hope Malacia steps in) and Maguire in defense whilst hoping Varane stays healthy.

I thought we were going to change managers and these players were suddenly going to be world beaters. Where's the energy gone from when Ole was in charge and not getting enough out of the players and it was him that's the issue.

The new manager should be the biggest upgrade you believe we could get based on what you were saying then and therefore ETH should be able to get these players to perform.

It's nowhere near the doom and gloom people are making out. If the season starts tomorrow we still have a squad to compete with Chelsea Tottenham and Arsenal we just aren't near the top 2. But we've started the summer miles behind as we are the only ones starting with a new manager coming in.

We are talking about United issues. Imagine if we were starting the season with Xhaka and Elneny has our CM. This is who you have to compare us to with where we are currently at.

Maguire for all you say isn't good enough starts for Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. Again this is who we are competing with not the top 2.

Go through our starting 11 and sides they start in our of those 3.

De Gea - All 3
AWB - Arsenal
Maguire - All 3
Varane - All 3.
Shaw - Tottenham (Could argue Chelsea considering he starts ahead of Chilwell for England)

Fred - Arsenal
McT - Arsenal
Bruno - All 3

Sancho - Arsenal / Chelsea
Ronaldo - All 3
RW - All 3 are stronger than us.

We are talking about United issues. Imagine if we were starting the season with Xhaka and Elneny has our CM. This is who you have to compare us to with where we are currently at.
Bud sorry but you have such United tinted glasses. Xhaka and Elneny are far from good players but they are better than Fred and McTominay.

De Gea - All 3
AWB - Arsenal
Maguire - All 3
Varane - All 3.
Shaw - Tottenham

Fred - Arsenal
McT - Arsenal
Bruno - All 3

Sancho - Arsenal / Chelsea
Ronaldo - All 3
RW - All 3 are stronger than us.
De Gea doesn't get in ahead of Mendy nor Ramsdale. AWB doesn't get in any of those teams. Maguire... Probably but Chelsea and Spurs likely upgrade at CB. Fred and McTominay don't get in any. Bruno... Hmm not sure. Sancho yes, Ronaldo not ahead of Kane and he wants to leave anyway.

Oh come off it. Ask any Arsenal fan if they'd rather have Xhaka or Fred and they're snapping Fred off your hands quicker than you've finished the sentence. I'm far from a fan of Fred but Xhaka is awful.

Ramsdale has had half a good season, been relegated (3 times?) and can't get in the England team ahead of Pickford. Mendy had the worst shot/goals conceded ratio in the league. Whereas De Gea made more saves than anyone and had the best positive XG in the league.

Bruno isn't even up for debate his stats over the last 3 seasons speak for themselves.

I'll let you have Kane over Ronaldo but Ronaldo got more goals in less games in what is a poorer side according to you.

As much as you can accuse me of having tinted glasses on yours are just as tinted in the other direction.

Bud sorry but you have such United tinted glasses. Xhaka and Elneny are far from good players but they are better than Fred and McTominay.

De Gea doesn't get in ahead of Mendy nor Ramsdale. AWB doesn't get in any of those teams. Maguire... Probably but Chelsea and Spurs likely upgrade at CB. Fred and McTominay don't get in any. Bruno... Hmm not sure. Sancho yes, Ronaldo not ahead of Kane and he wants to leave anyway.
At the end of the day true fans are going to have slightly tinted glasses. But come on, Xhaka and Elneny better than Fred and McT? Not a chance in hell. You pose the same question to most neutrals and they will give you the same answer. Fred is very much above Xhaka and Elneny. McT potentially on par but as a twosome Fred and McT are much better.

I know you say you look at things objectively but you don’t. Everything is negative about United, even in times when positive steps are being taken. Sure we haven’t signed as many as we wanted to yet but a transfer window isn’t complete after one month - some moves are a process and take time. The pursuit of FDJ wasn’t going to be easy as Barca owe him money and they are twunts to deal with.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back