Erik ten Hag named new United manager

There's plenty of top centre backs who are under 6ft who are great in the air. If you've got a decent jump and read the game well you'll be fine at that height.

A lot of it is about aggression and a desire to win the header.

Thiago Silva is 6ft for example.

He is nothing like Memphis, he is more like Nani when he came here. Explosive and full of skills. For me, Antony is the best RW we can get. Hopefully for a reasonable price.

It's more about players who look amazing in Holland often struggle to adapt to premier league football.

The full backs here are much quicker and stronger than what you get in Holland so these players can look really quick and great in that league and then look very average here.

It's more about players who look amazing in Holland often struggle to adapt to premier league football.

The full backs here are much quicker and stronger than what you get in Holland so these players can look really quick and great in that league and then look very average here.
But he do it in CL too. Also is style is completly different to Menphis. He has real pace to burn and a curling left foot.

But he do it in CL too. Also is style is completly different to Menphis. He has real pace to burn and a curling left foot.

So was Ziyech and he’s struggled at Chelsea.

Just saying I’m very wary of lads coming from these leagues with crazy records for goals and assists because the jump up in quality of defenders is huge.

I like what I have seen of him got a bit of needle about him to Utd need guys who are win at all costs.

So was Ziyech and he’s struggled at Chelsea.

Just saying I’m very wary of lads coming from these leagues with crazy records for goals and assists because the jump up in quality of defenders is huge.

I like what I have seen of him got a bit of needle about him to Utd need guys who are win at all costs.
Excuse me. Where did you see some pace on Ziyech ? He never was fast.

Excuse me. Where did you see some pace on Ziyech ? He never was fast.

He’s fairly quick got great close control and a wand of a left foot scored/assisted for fun in Holland but he’s found it harder in England because the teams defend much better. Ryan Babel was quick and skilful but he struggled to adapt to English football.

Im just saying if we go to Ajax we are taking gambles as not every player from there has adapted to their new surroundings. The stand out ones off the top of my head from the last decade were Suarez, Vertonghen, Alderwiereld and Eriksen.

Utd are crying out for a left footed wide player and if they go for this kid good luck to him hopefully he adapts to the league and gives us the threat we need from that side of the pitch.

According to reports he will attend the palace game and he officially starts work on Monday.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Probably asking his lawyers how to get out of his contract? :p

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good luck to them all. Massive project ahead.

This transfer window will be the most excitment of 2022 for united fans.

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by Ten Haags press conference? I mean look I do get it so some extent but I'd have liked him to be a little more to the point.

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by Ten Haags press conference? I mean look I do get it so some extent but I'd have liked him to be a little more to the point.
No issues with the the presser for me. He was very much in down to business mode. What more did you want him to say?

Seemed to answer most of the questions with a pretty straight bat to be honest which is to be expected.

Good to see him starting early and getting stuck in and its been confirmed that the non international players will return to pre season training on the 27th June the players involved in international will come back in staggers. He apparently wants a tough pre season to raise fitness levels amongst the squad as he thinks the players need to be fitter.

He can't just come in and slam the existing players he needs to get the ones who are staying on side that is part of being a manager so he'll need to build them up and bit and kiss their backside and hopefully get the right reaction.

There is a lot of talent in that squad that he will need to use in his team.

Of course he can't slam them and he needs to big them up. because we can't get rid of all of them in one hit.

A couple of interesting points I picked up, 1. Maguire may not keep the armband, 2. Not spoken to Ralf and sounds like he might not 3. Ralf hasn't got as much out of them as he should

I did read last week he wants a 5 a side cage installed at Carrington to improve control and passing.

I wouldn't take anything from the Maguire comments he was very non committal about everything. Can tell he isn't interested in doing press conferences just wants to get on with the work and let results talk for themselves.

The media aren't going to like him as he won't cater to them. Already ramblings that he's dull.

He thinks the squad has massive potential?
I guess he can’t say these bunch look a massive steaming pile of turd! He needs to get in there and assess but he’s not wrong when he says there is potential in the group. Sancho, Rashford (there is a player in there), Elanga, Varane, Bruno and Ronaldo are a decent core of players to start with. Then he needs to add to them wisely.

I likes that his press conference was basically all business. Yes the media like a charismatic character but if he gets us trophies, I couldn’t care less if he’s the dullest guy on the planet.

The media can do one as far as I’m concerned what do they expect him to do.

he went round and shook all their hands to introduce himself and some still can’t resist a dig.

I guess he can’t say these bunch look a massive steaming pile of turd! He needs to get in there and assess but he’s not wrong when he says there is potential in the group. Sancho, Rashford (there is a player in there, Elanga, Varane, Bruno and Ronaldo are a decent core of players to start with. Then he needs to add to them wisely.
Look there's no doubt Sancho is a talented player and I'd hope with good coaching etc he can really take a leap next year. And we know that Ronaldo is going to score goals and Bruno can create and score. Varane is a good player but had a disappointing year (mostly injuries I guess). As for Rashford and Elanga? Sorry bud but I think United fans do overrate them both. Elanga is probably going to be a good decent squad player. For me Rashford is overrated and has been for a while now.

Elanga I'm doubtful about, Rashford I'm still hopeful about, he can be devastating

Look there's no doubt Sancho is a talented player and I'd hope with good coaching etc he can really take a leap next year. And we know that Ronaldo is going to score goals and Bruno can create and score. Varane is a good player but had a disappointing year (mostly injuries I guess). As for Rashford and Elanga? Sorry bud but I think United fans do overrate them both. Elanga is probably going to be a good decent squad player. For me Rashford is overrated and has been for a while now.
Like Mr C said Rashford can be devastatingly good. He has got all the skills to be a top top player but for whatever reason his head has not been in it this year. He looked scared of being passed the ball and taking people on. I do hope ETH can get something out of him.

Can see what you are saying about Elanga but think he does have good potential. If you throw any young player in this team then they are going to struggle. Young players need a good environment to flourish and he hasn’t had that. He’s got good ability and commitment so I think he’s got a decent future.

I think shipping out the deadwood will most certainly help ETH as well. I just hope we can get the players he wants in nice and early so we have a whole summer to build a squad.

Rashford will be a cracking player. After the penalty miss and the racism that followed we should never have got him front stage until he'd seen a therapist. The problem is in his head not his ability.

Elanga I don't see it.

We can go back and forth on Rashford and I guess ultimately time will tell. I think he's a good player but not a top player. I don't think he's ever been a top player and I don't think he ever will. But he's also a better player than what he's shown the last year or so. And he's not had a really good coach to work with him and help him develop. Let's see if Ten Haag can be that for him.

Elanga... Like I said I think he's a good player and will be a good squad player. He's one of those who seems to follow instructions and puts in a lot of effort. I think he lacks top end talent though and so long term I don't think he's a first team player for one of the top teams.

I think Elanga will benefit a lot from the Europa League games next season should be good for his development but I'd be surprised if he's used in league games.

He's done alright coming into a really average side as a kid he's looked no worse than what we had around him and chipped in with a few goals but if the squad is assembled properly for next season he shouldn't be a starter.

Rashford for me the jury's out I'm willing to give him another chance under the new boss but right now he just looks totally fried whatever has happened to him in the last 12 months has killed him he looks scared on the pitch. Hopefully a new manager will be able to spark him back into life but there are some serious weak points in his game that at this age should really have been sorted out.

I don't think he'll go on to be a world class superstar but he could have a solid career as a sort of Welbeck type player a squad player in a good side.

Rashford's big problem now is Sancho unless Sancho goes back to the right side of the attack I just don't see Rashford taking the spot off Sancho in my opinion he looks a better player.

That said it will all come down to how well all these players adapt to the new system no ones spot in the starting XI is safe it's a clean slate for everyone and they'll be judged by the new boss on performance as he has no loyalty to any of these lads.

I really do think if Ten Hag believes that this team does not need 8-10 additions over the next couple of years then he's going to fail.

I know he's not said it as such but he did talk up the potential of this team.

This team is, and has been for years, poisonous and there are too many players who are paid a lot of money who really aren't good enough.

There needs to be a clear out. Every United fan can see that. And yes a lot of players will leave because they are out of contracts. And I guess they'll probably sell one or two more. But this summer they need to sign a minimum of 4 players and I'd argue they need more like 5/6.

Everyone knows very few of this current squad will be around when this side is capable of winning anything.

I really do think if Ten Hag believes that this team does not need 8-10 additions over the next couple of years then he's going to fail.

I know he's not said it as such but he did talk up the potential of this team.

This team is, and has been for years, poisonous and there are too many players who are paid a lot of money who really aren't good enough.

There needs to be a clear out. Every United fan can see that. And yes a lot of players will leave because they are out of contracts. And I guess they'll probably sell one or two more. But this summer they need to sign a minimum of 4 players and I'd argue they need more like 5/6.

You can't walk in to a job and say yeah they're all shit. He's already told AWB he can leave.

He's also right when he says there is a lot more potential in the squad than what was got out of them last season. He's a manager that believes in himself to improve players and you'll see a rejuvenated Donny. You've got to remember according to some of you Ole was the worst manager of all time and Ragnick hadn't managed in many years. Just getting a good manager in should make a difference.

You can't walk in to a job and say yeah they're all shit. He's already told AWB he can leave.

He's also right when he says there is a lot more potential in the squad than what was got out of them last season. He's a manager that believes in himself to improve players and you'll see a rejuvenated Donny. You've got to remember according to some of you Ole was the worst manager of all time and Ragnick hadn't managed in many years. Just getting a good manager in should make a difference.
No you can't come in and say that but I also don't think he should be talking up this lot. They are a joke. An embarrassment.

And no there isn't a lot of potential in this squad. There are good players, there are some quality players but a lot are overrated. Sorry bud but you do this all the time. You overrate so many of the United players.

No you can't come in and say that but I also don't think he should be talking up this lot. They are a joke. An embarrassment.

And no there isn't a lot of potential in this squad. There are good players, there are some quality players but a lot are overrated. Sorry bud but you do this all the time. You overrate so many of the United players.
So if there you admit there are good players and quality players then there is potential, no? I think that’s what ETH is saying - he probably does think a lot of them are not worthy of the shirt but he’s not going to say that publicly. It just alienates him from the whole squad.

I can’t believe people are already having a go at ETH. He’s been properly in charge for about three days! Give the man time to do his thing.

I've not even named anyone but it's clear this lot are better than what they've shown this season and a better manager will get more than Ralf did out of them.

If you don't believe the above why did you ever think Ole had to leave if you thought he was getting the best out of this lot? You obviously thought he wasn't and that the players were better than being shown.

As for 'doing this all the time' the transfer window hasn't even opened and you're here criticising ETH. It's been one press conference fcol.

This squad certainly was good enough for top 4. I think Ralf blew that.

And I do believe they have the quality, what they don't have is heart. They turn on the manager too much when told to do things they don't like. That is the buggest fault of this side. And that is what needs worming out, regardless of good the player is. Unacceptable

Lets give the guy a chance I'm sure he'll be sitting down with Rangnick and getting a first hand report from the previous manager about which players will respond to his methods and which ones wont.

In that big piece on the athletic it was said the camp was split between a group who wanted to be coached in much more detail and another group who wanted to play more a more free system. My guess is those who want the detailed coaching will stay and those who don't will go or be given 1 chance to adapt.

He isn't stupid and he will of course need to bring in new players and probably will have a look at some of the younger players in his first season to see if they can step up.

For me in his first season I expect him to challenge for a top 4 spot but getting it will probably depend on others but we got a very poor points total this season he needs to improve on that as a starting point and that shouldn't be to much to ask. We need to see a playing style that can be used against any opponent and make the team competitive so as we practise it and get better at it slowly it becomes a way of playing that our opponents just can't handle.

As crap as we've been this season that side should have been good enough to finish 4th but a combination of the two managers poor performance has done us neither of them could manage that dressing room and get them all pulling together in the right direction.

I've not even named anyone but it's clear this lot are better than what they've shown this season and a better manager will get more than Ralf did out of them.

If you don't believe the above why did you ever think Ole had to leave if you thought he was getting the best out of this lot? You obviously thought he wasn't and that the players were better than being shown.

As for 'doing this all the time' the transfer window hasn't even opened and you're here criticising ETH. It's been one press conference fcol.
I don't think clearly this lot are better than what they've shown though. I think they are a team who fight for top 4 and nothing more. And guess what? Until about 3 weeks before the end of the season that's exactly what they were doing. If you want to think they are better than that then go ahead. You're kidding yourself.

Ole didn't have a clear vision. The results were bad and the football was awful. That's why he had to go.

I'm not criticising ETH. I'm just saying the impression is he doesn't think a drastic overhaul is required. This is coming from those in the media with ties to the club. Now you can argue whether those people are legit but I can also argue that they are. And if he doesn't see that this needs a drastic overhaul then he's not going to succeed.

Van Persie has confirmed he was offered a role as part of Ten Hag's coaching team and turned it down as he wants to stay in Holland for now and continue his work at Feyenoord.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back