Erik ten Hag named new United manager

Well now to the rebuild.

We’re in for the long haul and I hope there is patience for the project ahead.

To be honest, I thought he would back out, and I wouldn't have blamed him.

Massive job ahead. I don't care where we finish next year, just want a team playing nice football with passion come season end, season after I would like top 4, season 3 title challenge.

It seems that Erik does not take any rubbish from players, holds them to account, and so I hope that he is the manager players might actually fear. I am optimistic that having Ralf supporting him will help them restore the culture we want to see at the club.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and he is high energy high tempo, some if not all these players will struggle.

Great appointment. Obviously come from the Dutch league is a risk but most appointments of managers or signing of players is a risk to a degree.

He plays football the right away and his Ajax are always a joy to watch. Just got to buy in some young hungry players who are made of the right stuff. It’s a major summer rebuild but it’s good that we’ve got this done early - gives him plenty of time to assess the trash the players we already have at the club.

An exciting day amongst the gloom we are currently experiencing.

The risk is, none of our squad are equipped to play at that tempo/press.

Not sure how many can be made to either.

The risk is, none of our squad are equipped to play at that tempo/press.

Not sure how many can be made to either.
Every player has the ability to play at a high tempo and press. And if they don’t buy into the philosophy then they need to be shipped out. That goes for every player, doesn’t matter if they have come through the youth ranks or are players from the outside.

This is a rebuild of the highest magnitude and if one person doesn’t share where we are going and where we need to be then it’s bye bye.

Genuinely excited by this appointment and think it’s the first appointment that opposition managers will think, whew they’ve got a great manager coming in here. That’s not happened with any manager since Fergie left. Moyes was a solid appointment, Van Gaal and Mourinho were good in the day but lost that fear factor by the time they got here and Ole and Ralf were not putting the fear into anybody.

Every player has the ability to play at a high tempo and press. And if they don’t buy into the philosophy then they need to be shipped out. That goes for every player, doesn’t matter if they have come through the youth ranks or are players from the outside.

This is a rebuild of the highest magnitude and if one person doesn’t share where we are going and where we need to be then it’s bye bye.

Genuinely excited by this appointment and think it’s the first appointment that opposition managers will think, whew they’ve got a great manager coming in here. That’s not happened with any manager since Fergie left. Moyes was a solid appointment, Van Gaal and Mourinho were good in the day but lost that fear factor by the time they got here and Ole and Ralf were not putting the fear into anybody.
I agree. I am so happy, now let start the rebuild.

He's got a big job on his hands to turn this ship around but it's good that it's finally official hopefully he'll be planning on starting quickly once the Dutch season is over a holiday to recharge then start preparing the pre season for the players.

I think most agree it will likely take 2 or 3 summer transfer windows to sort out that squad.

Hopefully he clears the decks this summer gives some youth a chance next season has a good look at what he's got. Who fits the system and who doesn't then start adding the missing pieces.

Seems odd that the club are pushing back against McLaren maybe wary of that link to the Fergie and the past.

Pre season is huge this year our players have looked knackered this season most will be off for a proper rest this summer with no international tournament. Recharge the batteries, repair mentally and hopefully look forward to a new season with a new boss. Physically this Utd side needs to be much fitter next season.

Erik who? I'm shocked this happened! No one saw this coming, that's for sure. Wow, blindsided. The worrying thing I read was the Glazers have promised him an "adequate" transfer budget and are already signaling they are not splashing out big, when a splash the size of a killer whale in a kiddie pool is needed.

They are staying clear of Mclaridge because he's awful and his time has gone. I'm glad they are pushing back on this

And of course players who dont buy into his philosophy need to go, my point was, I think that will be 80% of them, they don't want to work or run.

If the rumours of some players aren't keen on the appointment are true, then they need shipping out before he arrives. Someone must know who those players are

They are staying clear of Mclaridge because he's awful and his time has gone. I'm glad they are pushing back on this

And of course players who dont buy into his philosophy need to go, my point was, I think that will be 80% of them, they don't want to work or run.

If the rumours of some players aren't keen on the appointment are true, then they need shipping out before he arrives. Someone must know who those players are

Not sure where you're hearing that, the Wally with the Brolly is nailed on to be part of ten Hag's backroom staff. Good call as well.

And the other stuff it's nonsense, not an ounce of truth in it.

It was in the tweet someone posted, Glazers pushing back on Mclaridge appointment

It was in the tweet someone posted, Glazers pushing back on Mclaridge appointment

Now then Martin it was nearly funny the first time.

Doubt ten Hag would've taken the gig if the powers that be were telling him who he could/couldn't bring to the club.

Ten Hag is used to having powers that be which challenge his decisions.

If he really wants McLaren he’ll need to demonstrate why and convince his bosses of the need. Simples.

My guess is the club would prefer a younger man to come in as part of the setup.

This could be a really really good appointment for United. I think he's the kind of manager who given time could build United back up but he's going to need time.

More reports today that some of the squad are ambivalent about the appointment. These players are a disgrace and a joke if that's true.

Though United and Ajax have agreed terms for Mitchell van der Gaag to follow ten Hag to Old Trafford there's rumours(yeah I know)that he is leaning towards staying at Ajax and becoming the new Manager.

It's a good thing. The more prominent and vocal they are, the easier to identify and get rid!
That's very true. If I were Ten Hag I'd want to know who they were and I'd be getting them out as soon as possible.

Shouldn't be too difficult to identity, it will be ones on his first visit to Carrington who are singing "who are you, who are you"

First minute is quiet, after that its ok

First minute is quiet, after that its ok

So atleast a ball playing CB, 2 press resistant CM and maybe a RB or/and a RW. We must act quickly, cause all the good targets won't stay long in there clubs. I see a fast start of the summer activity this year with mainly the big transfer (Mbappe, Haland, Dembele and Pogba) annoncing soon there next club.

If it's all about playing out from the back then De Gea will be a problem for him as he's just not very good at that part of the game.

Remember when Emery went to Arsenal and he was trying to get Cech to play from the back it was a disaster. I think we saw early in the season when Ole started playing more from the back that we were not good at it Leicester away I remember being a particularly bad day.

If this is the key part of the game given how many times the keeper starts the play in a game De Gea will likely need to be replaced.

It was a problem for Klopp at Liverpool with Mingolet and with Pep at City with Hart both were decent shot stopping keepers but this part of the game was a huge problem for them. I know Pep ditched Hart straight away and I think Klopp replaced Mingolet in his first or second summer window.

It is then compounded by when the team push high up the pitch to squeeze he does not control that space in behind him in the way some keepers do. It's massively high risk stuff but the best sides are now taking these risks and backing their keepers to come out of their areas quickly to mop up any long balls played in behind the defence.

Must admit I could only handle 5 minutes as it's pretty boring but yes he will also need to address the central midfield options as for me neither Fred or McTominay are good at taking the ball under pressure close to goal and he will need to find a right back as neither of the current options are near the level required.

It's not a boring vid, it explains his system really well. I did find a quicker less "boring one"

Sorry but why would anybody want to subscribe to that, not sure the guy was convinced he knew what he was talking about himself half the time so why he thinks anybody else would is beyond me. Blaggers gotta blag I guess.

I watched the rest of that vid his analysis is at best scattergun.

If we are going to build from the back for me we have 4 if you include Jones 5 centre backs who are comfortable on the ball but where we are weak is our keeper can’t play with the ball at his feet, full backs aren’t happy receiving the ball and same for centre mids.

Going forward he talks about width where width is really exploited is obviously having 1 vs 1 ability to beat your man but you also need players who can play that switch ball with speed and accuracy to get that ball to the open man quickly.

Klopp had Liverpool on track within 18 months the first 6 months he sounded out the squad then a season building the squad and the following season they made that CL final where you thought they are in shape now. In his second full season in charge they got 97 points and won the European Cup so it can move very quickly if you get the signings right.

It's fair to say in those first few summer/winter windows they had it was almost perfection in terms of the signings. Allison, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mane, Salah, Fabinho from memory were all landed within 18 months of Klopp taking over.

That is the challenge Utd can't afford any early slip ups if we want to catch up quickly this first summer is vital we've got to find at least 4 players who need to slot in quickly.

Secured the title last night with Ajax with 1 game to spare.

There is a suggestion that he's asking for all non international players to return for training as early as June 20th as he wants to get an early start on fitness work.

There are international matches scheduled for June so any players playing in those games will get at least 2 weeks off before returning for pre season.

I do think fitness is going to be vital next season is going to be a really tough with the world cup in the middle players are going to need a really solid base level of fitness to see them through the season.

Sounds like ETH is going to get his wish of Steve McLaren becoming part of his management team.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back