English Cricket 2023

The rain last night when the openers were flying and the seriously dodgy ball change(when England took the last wicket the ball still looked in better condition than the one it replaced the previous day!), plus the rain yesterday afternoon between 2 and 4 when Australia were getting back in control with Smith and Head helped England for sure, but Test cricket was the real winner.

42+ hours of Sport and neither side has won, wonder what the Americans would make of it.

Still think if the middle session hadn't been lost to rain the Aussies would have won, and I wonder if they had the time again they'd have played for a draw once the last session started, and taken an England victory out of the equation. But credit to them going for it, even when everything was in England's favour. Not sure they would have done if the series was on the line mind, in fact I know they wouldn't,

42+ hours of Sport and neither side has won, wonder what the Americans would make of it.

I dunno their equivalent sport is baseball and they play 162 games before having a playoff series to decide who the best team is.

They don't really have the moral high ground when it comes to playing hours of sport without deciding a winner.

Still think if the middle session hadn't been lost to rain the Aussies would have won, and I wonder if they had the time again they'd have played for a draw once the last session started, and taken an England victory out of the equation. But credit to them going for it, even when everything was in England's favour. Not sure they would have done if the series was on the line mind, in fact I know they wouldn't,
Yeah you’re probably right, we looked pretty toothless when bowling to Warner and Khawaja, however it was still a lot of runs to get even when they were going well.

I guess Broad will now move into commentating after doing a little bit for Sky last summer in The Hundred. I wonder if Anderson will call it quits, he has said he wants to carry on but that decision may be taken out of his hands of the coach/captain don’t think he’s up to it anymore.

I don’t think any fast bowler will get near the Anderson/Broad wicket totals. Test cricket has taken a back seat for countries and the current calendar doesn’t exactly lend to longevity.

Yeah you’re probably right, we looked pretty toothless when bowling to Warner and Khawaja, however it was still a lot of runs to get even when they were going well.

I guess Broad will now move into commentating after doing a little bit for Sky last summer in The Hundred. I wonder if Anderson will call it quits, he has said he wants to carry on but that decision may be taken out of his hands of the coach/captain don’t think he’s up to it anymore.

I don’t think any fast bowler will get near the Anderson/Broad wicket totals. Test cricket has taken a back seat for countries and the current calendar doesn’t exactly lend to longevity.

Don't know if it's a mindset, or better pitches, or both but teams are chasing down far bigger totals than they ever have, it's nearer the norm now where it was always a once in a decade thing, if that, and I thought they'd reach the target with only three or four down, and before the start of play Atherton, Butcher and Karthik all expected Australia to win which was strange, maybe not.

I think he will seriously consider retiring now, the last thing he needs is a 5-Test tour of India.

The two lads are right up there with the very best fast/medium bowlers to have ever played Test cricket - I just hope than nobody finds out that I thought Broad was piss-poor and only in the team because of who his Dad was

So any interest in The Hundred from anyone?

For me it is an unnecessary tournament, it’s just like the T20 Blast with a few less balls. You don’t need both tournaments.

Would rather have another Test series than seeing the England guys taking part in this tosh!

I might flick it on when I get a bit of spare time but it doesn't really interest me and I don't follow it at all but then it's not really aimed at me it's aimed at kids.

I tend to agree T20 is a good enough short form of the game making it slightly shorter doesn't really make a lot of difference it just over crowds the schedule. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than 5 years in total.

Seems to me they'd be better off having the T20 blast in the school holiday period.

The person whose brainchild(quite fitting) this is should be named and shamed, it's an abomination, jeez T20 is bad enough ....

Guess if you pay the players enough they will play, but most if they were honest would say they wanted to give it a swerve.

The fact the achievements(runs/wickets etc etc) aren't recorded by the I.C.C statisticians tells you all you need to know.

Hopefully in two years it will be no more.

The person whose brainchild(quite fitting) this is should be named and shamed, it's an abomination, jeez T20 is bad enough ....

Guess if you pay the players enough they will play, but most if they were honest would say they wanted to give it a swerve.

The fact the achievements(runs/wickets etc etc) aren't recorded by the I.C.C statisticians tells you all you need to know.

Hopefully in two years it will be no more.
I think they do get recorded in the players overall T20 statistics.

I don’t think the hundred will have too much longevity to be honest, mostly because of the money. Major League Cricket has just been launched in the USA and they are offering big money, which you just don’t get in the hundred. I think eventually players will favour other international leagues.

You could just put more emphasis into the T20 blast and make that the showpiece but instead the ECB created this baffling tournament.

"Ohhh, Lanky Lanky Lanky Lanky Lanky Lancashire"

Franchising it put me off from the start as much as the format, I think i've watched 6 balls in total, since it first started and that was only because it was on SkySports news when I turned the TV on.

Think the next round of TV contracts will decide if it carries on if the TV companies decide it's not worth paying for it'll be scrapped as that's where most of the funding for it is coming from.

The only positive from the hundred is there's live cricket being shown on free to air TV. If it does go then I think the ECB need to be looking at putting at least 1 test match and some of the T20 blast games on free to air TV even if that means taking a bit less money off Sky.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back