English Cricket 2023

SuperRash

Baz-ball gonna baz-ball.

Another rollicking batting performance in the first test against NZ. Probably left a few out there but an attacking declaration and three early NZ wickets means it’s a good day.

What you expecting in the Ashes Rash? Do you think the Aussies will come out and play?

I don’t think they’ll come and try and imitate how we play. I think they’ll play their own game because they definitely have the bowlers for English conditions. I don’t think they really have the players that will wallop 80 off 60 balls. Guys like Khawaja, ML, Smith etc will probably be happy with an 80 off 130 balls.

I think we will win the Ashes but I think there will be a few cock up collapses along the way because it wouldn’t be England without them!

Pat Cummins (captain), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vice-captain), Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

--------------------------

Not the strongest Aussie squad to hit these shores but I think they may just have a little too much for England. Baz-ball or not.

Expecting Cameron Green to star with bat and ball.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Our seamers seem to be dropping like flies so no surprise someone different has been called up. Tongue has been highly rated for a while and has been pretty consistent County Cricket so good to see him get a shot.

Shows how much attention I pay to the County scene, Lancashire aside these days as i've never heard of him

Quick bit of research he nearly retired after being out injured for 15 months, should fit right in!

Yeah he’s had his injury problems but hopefully over them now. He was genuinely quick when he first burst onto the scene, he has slowed a little now but still a good bowler.

What do you think of Mahmood being a Lancs man?

Don't think he'll ever hit the height his early potential suggested he could because of injuries which is a shame, great for Lancashire when he's fit though - Might be a useful List A bowler for England, but the longer format nah, maybe an occasional call-up though.

Not sure what is is with English fast/medium-fast bowlers(not called Anderson or Broad) these days with all their injuries, back in the day bowlers like Hendrick, Old, Arnold, Lever would just seem to keep going all season every season, same with Trueman and Statham before them.

Can't be all down to the pitches they play on now, or their footwear or diet, or maybe it's a combination of all three.

Definitely a blow and there isn’t an obvious replacement really. The next cab off the rank for a few years has been Parkinson but his form has nose dived.

Would be a major risk to throw in Rehan Ahmed, despite his brilliant debut in Pakistan.

Then you’re looking at an all seam attack with Root, Livingstone providing some part time spin.

A big decision on the replacement.

So Moeen Ali has come out of retirement to play in the first two Ashes Tests - and probably the rest of them.

It’s a safe pair of hands but his bowling against the Aussies has never been great but hopefully he’ll be able to play a similar role to Leach - plus obviously he’s a far superior batsman.

So two days to go until the Ashes summer begins.

Who we fancying as the stars of the show and who wins it?

Will be a tough series as this Aussie side is very strong. I hope Pope, Brook, Robinson and Anderson all have series to remember. If they do, we'll just about nick it.

The Aussie bowling attack is very very good and could be deadly in English conditions this summer.

I think we may need to rein in the ‘Bazball’ every now and again because this Aussie attack can knock you over very quickly if they get a sniff.

Their batting is a little iffy though at times, so think we can get right into them.

I think we will have a couple of batting disasters but ultimately take the urn 3-1. I am pressing a draw somewhere - British weather and all that!

1-2 to Australia, they just have the edge in batting depth(their 3-5 are comfortably the best in the business), and have more quicks who will drop it on a length straight away and keep it there all day, whereas England have only really got Anderson who can do that and I fear he will be flogged into retirement. And Nathan Lyon v Moeen Ali isn't even a contest. And because of injuries neither is Cameron Green v Ben Stokes.

Best bet - no century opening partnerships(either team)in the series.

I can't find the partnership one.

No opening batter to hit a century is 13/2

I'm clueless on odds just can't get my head around them, at 13/2 is it more likely an opener will score a century, or won't? Guessing won't.

1-2 to Australia, they just have the edge in batting depth(their 3-5 are comfortably the best in the business), and have more quicks who will drop it on a length straight away and keep it there all day, whereas England have only really got Anderson who can do that and I fear he will be flogged into retirement. And Nathan Lyon v Moeen Ali isn't even a contest. And because of injuries neither is Cameron Green v Ben Stokes.

Best bet - no century opening partnerships(either team)in the series.
Have faith in the bazballing!

I think we are very well matched to be honest, you say only Anderson can keep it on a length all day but Robinson is brilliant at that and he could be the surprise package of the Ashes - wouldn’t be surprised if he finishes the series as the leading wicket taker.

Lyon is clearly a better spinner than Ali but wouldn’t discount Stokes having a huge role in the series. In the big moments he steps up injury or not.

The Aussie openers are a little iffy in English conditions which could immediately put pressure on the Aussie middle order. Smith’s returns in England have been patchy and Head is having a purple patch now but again wouldn’t say he’s immovable.

Have faith in the bazballing!

I think we are very well matched to be honest, you say only Anderson can keep it on a length all day but Robinson is brilliant at that and he could be the surprise package of the Ashes - wouldn’t be surprised if he finishes the series as the leading wicket taker.

Lyon is clearly a better spinner than Ali but wouldn’t discount Stokes having a huge role in the series. In the big moments he steps up injury or not.

The Aussie openers are a little iffy in English conditions which could immediately put pressure on the Aussie middle order. Smith’s returns in England have been patchy and Head is having a purple patch now but again wouldn’t say he’s immovable.

It'll be Warner and Khawaja's last tour to England and they'll either go out with a bang or a whimper, expecting the latter, and the Aussies opening bowlers will have too much knowhow for Duckett and Lawrence most of the time.

Tough call for Australia tomorrow, do they go with Starc or returning Englishman Boland, if they go Boland think he'll be the star man in the series with the ball - but think for the first Test they will go with Starc, or do the unthinkable and leave Lyon out.

England's batting depth(with Bairstow at 7, and Moeen at 8) v Australia's more variety in attack, could be a classic.

I had a season ticket for Lancs back in the day, but watch very little cricket these days. Can’t wait for this.

Same really, but I do like the Ashes, and I watch the world cup of pretty much all sports. Even Rugby which I really don't like.

They need to put these sports back on the "normal" TV channels. Or at least Netflix or something.

Although if we buy Mbappe I will be getting Canal+ :D

Struggled to keep up with it in recent years, don't follow it anywhere near as much as I used to.

Enjoy a day at the test though great day out with your mates if you can do it.

England win the toss and bat. Time for Bazball (or a horrific collapse) - it’s a fine line!

Aussies already retreating into their shells with their fields. Scared of conceding boundaries.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back