England's Road to Qatar

Didn't see much of the game on Friday seems to have been wrapped up in a bit of scandal because Harry Maguire did a bit of a silly celebration when he scored but it was a big win and means tonight England just need a point vs San Marino to secure qualification.

He did play the 3-4-3 system on Friday you wonder if he's leaning towards that system at the world cup or just using it as a chance to have a look at it in case he feels he needs to use it at some point.

Connor Gallagher also called up to the squad as a replacement had a great start to the season at Palace on loan from Chelsea.

Shaw and Mount won't join up with the squad.

Got to be some pre-qualifications for these minnows to get into the actual WC qualifying group stage. Tonight was just embarrassing for San Marino.

I don't agree I just think it's stupid that England put their best team out to play these games there really is no point. Where do you draw the line? These games are a necessary consequence if you want to have a seeding system because there's always going to be 1 rubbish team in your group that everyone batters.

Southgate should have been heavily rotating that team to rest players. Guys like Kane or Maguire should not be starting these matches but because of all the withdrawals he probably didn't have a lot of choice. Of the 23 man squad think he lost 8 players and only called up two replacements.

England have just become very good at qualifying in the last 30 years we've qualified for 13 out of 15 tournaments only missing 94 and 08 and most of those qualification runs have been winning groups comfortably.

Latest Squad for the upcoming friendlies.

Goalkeepers Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Coady (Wolves), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Ben White (Arsenal)

Midfielders Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Crystal Palace), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards Tammy Abraham (Roma), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Not really surprised to see Rashford out of the squad Southgate confirmed it was due to his form but though Sancho might have got himself back in but there's a lot of competition for these places. I think Grealish is lucky to be in ahead of him as he'd had a poor season at City.

At the back Walker has been rested for these games Southgate wants to give James and TAA some more playing time.

Hopefully see a bit of Bellingham in the games I think he's the one I expect to really break into that starting XI ahead of the world cup probably ahead of Phillips. If Bellingham and Rice can get a partnership going in central midfield that would be huge for England.

Ramsdale, TAA, James and Abraham have pulled out Johnstone, Kyle Walker-Peters, Tyrick Mitchell and Ollie Watkins called up as replacements.

From taking a million full backs to the Euro’s, we are scratching around for any fit ones!

I like the look of Mitchell at Palace but then again I liked the look of AWB there and look how that’s turning out!

Wonder if Djed Spence at Forest would have been considered if it wasn’t for the U21 games. He looks such a promising prospect and will be in the PL before long.

From taking a million full backs to the Euro’s, we are scratching around for any fit ones!

I like the look of Mitchell at Palace but then again I liked the look of AWB there and look how that’s turning out!

Wonder if Djed Spence at Forest would have been considered if it wasn’t for the U21 games. He looks such a promising prospect and will be in the PL before long.

Well four are currently injured and we still have pretty good options which shows the depth we have in those spots.

They're only friendly matches I guess if they were competitive games they'd have called up Walker who was rested.

Mitchell looks much happier on the ball that AWB ever did lets hope his career doesn't stall which is what happened to AWB sadly.

There's also Lamptey (Brighton) and Livaremento (Southampton) who haven't had call ups yet.

Could do with a few more left backs coming through as we're very well stocked for right backs.

Johnstone has now pulled out and Fraser Forster has been called up.

Show's how much Dean Henderson's stock has fallen in 12 months if it wasn't for injury he'd have probably been at the euros and he might have even started the season as the number 1 at Utd. Now he can't even get a look in for club or country.

I admit I quite like the England side especially since Southgate took over it seems like a really good group of lads who stick together and they've done great stuff off the pitch but sadly it attracts some absolute morons to watch them.

Last night Harry Maguire was booed at Wembley.

Now I get he might currently be getting some stick from his club fans where his performances have been poor this season but when he's pulled on that England shirt he's been quality. World Cup semi final, Euro's final (team of the tournament), helped us qualify for Qatar etc etc.

Southgate was right to call them out how that guy is getting boo's in an England shirt is ridiculous he's been brilliant for the national team same way Pickford has despite some pretty ropey club form.

Last night Harry Maguire was booed at Wembley.

Now I get he might currently be getting some stick from his club fans where his performances have been poor this season but when he's pulled on that England shirt he's been quality. World Cup semi final, Euro's final (team of the tournament), helped us qualify for Qatar etc etc.
Yeah that was very odd. He's always played pretty well (and a lot of the time very very well) for England. I don't think he's ever let them down so I'm not sure why England fans are booing him.

Yeah that was very odd. He's always played pretty well (and a lot of the time very very well) for England. I don't think he's ever let them down so I'm not sure why England fans are booing him.

It wasn't all of them just a section who seemed to do it think it also happened when his name was read out at the weekend as well which is mad.

I really thought we'd left that sort of stuff behind with the national team how could you not like the current crop of players but then does anything in football surprise you?

Sadly you will always sections of unintelligent football fans that are total idiots and feel booing is right.

No player deserves to be booed and glad the boss and other players have come out and said something.

I can think of a few players who deserve to be boo'ed, but none of them for football reasons.

Think for booing to have any meaning you need to be using it when someone has actually done something wrong that deserves a response.

I'd love to know why the people that did it felt he deserved to be singled out but we'll never know.

Think the response from the manager and his team mates has been top class all of them have come out and basically said idiots like that aren't welcome as part of the group for me it shows a real unity amongst those players.

On the football side of things I only saw parts of both games but it looks like Bellingham is making a big claim for a starting place at the world cup alongside Rice.

Bellingham is the best English footballer since Gazza, Liverpool are getting a very good player.

England fans are pretty scummy, I see why they boo him because that's what they're like. Probably a load of Chelsea there :rolleyes: be waving Abramovich flags this weekend. But lets be honest, United fans boo'd him too. I don't like it myself. I don't think he should be playing for united at the moment, but he needs support, not boo'ing.

Can't see Liverpool being able to afford him Dortmund are going to be asking for mega bucks for him but he looks like the full package. Shame Utd couldn't convince him to come before he joined Dortmund people like to slag off our scouting but they'd clearly done the homework on this kid. I think like Dele at Spurs when he joined form MK Dons he was so good it would have only been a few weeks before he was in our first team every game like he is now at Dortmund.

I'm not a fan of the Utd fans ironically cheering him coming off either to be honest he's one of our own and needs some support not further negativity but maybe that's modern football now. That crowd at Old Trafford is becoming a tough one to win over they've seen some really great sides but some have forgotten how to look after their own and support them it's become a very tough place for our players to play.

From what I can tell, Bellingham to Liverpool is more or less a goer, unless Madrid convince him to wait a year.

From most reporting I've seen Dortmund are only prepared to let Haaland go this summer and that's only because of this release clause he has.

He's got a contract to 2025 there's no talk of any release clauses in it so not like they're really under pressure to sell now my guess is they'll be looking to keep him for next season then cash in if he wants to go.

Bellingham will be similar to what we were told with Sancho in 2020 when they wanted 120m for him. Basically pay way over the odds or don't even bother bidding just don't see where Liverpool get £100m plus for a player from unless they're planning big sales to rebuild the side.

Everyone is going to be chasing this kid though.

Should be an interesting group. Probably Wales makes it ahead of Scotland, so England, USA, Iran, Wales. The last time we met in competition was 2006, wasn't it? I'm glad we are qualified but like all minnows, I dread getting an absolute hiding from the big boys. It will be interesting to see which version of England turns up.

I actually have a somewhat bold prediction...All this hype (rightfully so) for England but I actually think they may fail to get out of the group.

Should be an interesting group. Probably Wales makes it ahead of Scotland, so England, USA, Iran, Wales. The last time we met in competition was 2006, wasn't it? I'm glad we are qualified but like all minnows, I dread getting an absolute hiding from the big boys. It will be interesting to see which version of England turns up.
We all want Ukraine to win the play offs surely

I actually have a somewhat bold prediction...All this hype (rightfully so) for England but I actually think they may fail to get out of the group.

Im predicting it’s coming home.

Team isn’t perfect but it’s now or never for this generation time to go one step further and land the big one

Best of a bad bunch

Germany or France for me.

Probably Germany as they have the best manager

My only thing with France is they play to narrow and their full backs don’t offer enough but if they arrive in form they’ll be tough to stop.

Benzema and Mbappe up top with Griezmann in behind is a frightening forward line but having to play the 3 of them means no width.

I'm certainly not trying to suggest that they can't go all the way and win it. We know they can. 4 years ago they made the semis, last year they made the final of the Euros. I just think there's a potential for a banana skin.

Im predicting it’s coming home.

Team isn’t perfect but it’s now or never for this generation time to go one step further and land the big one

Now or never? This team peaks in about 6 years.

No mention of Brazil who are the tournament favourites. With England second favourites.

Now or never? This team peaks in about 6 years.

Walker, Stones, Maguire, Kane, Sterling

This is their prime the time is now for the core of the team.

Other than Walker they'll all be in the next world cup squad. And the players around them will be the ones that have won at the younger age groups.

And walker doesn't make our best starting 11.

Thought Walker was a guaranteed starter at RCB to make up for the lack of pace of Maguire.

Other than Walker they'll all be in the next world cup squad. And the players around them will be the ones that have won at the younger age groups.

And walker doesn't make our best starting 11.

My point is they might still be there but they won’t be in their peak years they’ll likely be on the slide. Can add Henderson to that list as well not a starter but I think he’s an important senior player in that squad.

No matter what system we play for me Walker is in the side either in the back 3 or at right back in a 4 people forget just how good he is. If we play with a back 3 I’d be having James as the right wing back which means no TAA.

Think that Canada will surprise a few in Qatar, they've got some seriously good players.

Nations League matches in June
Hungary (a), Germany (a), Italy (h) & Hungary (h)

4 internationals at the end of the season is ridiculous but guess they're still catching up.

Squad named

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Coady (Wolves), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), James Justin (Leicester), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Man City), Ben White (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Crystal Palace, on loan from Chelsea), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Roma), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Man City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City)

Good to see Bowen get a call up & Henderson hasn't been included for these games as Southgate wants to give him a rest.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back