England World Cup Squad Build Up

Crazy game

0-1 (pen)
0-2
1-2
2-2
3-2 (pen)
3-3

Pope and Maguire have had the sort of games that could see you dropped from the World Cup.

For me Pope has been crap in both games

Excellent fight back to 3-2 but a Pope mistake let Germany back in. Been a cracking second half.

Great second half, Havertz's first and Mount's goals were brilliant finishes. Bellingham and Rice now have the midfield spots nailed, if only we had a spare £300million to bring them to United. Am I the only one that thought Sterling was poor? He could/should have scored 1 or 2 in the first half, and he simply had to bury the chance when one on one with the keeper. Not great from Maguire or Pope, and I don't think they will make the squad for Qatar.

I thought Stirling could have done better, especially with his first chance.

Maguire just can't help giving the ball away. He cost England last night. Worrying.

it's the kind of mistake Maguire is prone to, done it many times for united. But there is no other choice for England, which is a worry. I didn't see it but he had some involvement in the second too apparantly.

Let's hope Southgate has realised the way forward is a more attacking mind set.

it's the kind of mistake Maguire is prone to, done it many times for united. But there is no other choice for England, which is a worry. I didn't see it but he had some involvement in the second too apparantly.

Let's hope Southgate has realised the way forward is a more attacking mind set.

He was in their half, dithered on the ball a bit as he had no pass on and got tackled 5 or 6 passes later and Havertz drops it perfectly in the top corner from about 20 yards.

If it wasn't Maguire who got tackled not sure much would have been said.

Even the first goal England weren't setup to play short. Dier plays the ball quickly with Germany set to press Maguire isn't even looking at Dier, plays a really sloppy pass to Shaw who's miles away at that point he's a sitting duck.

How come Maguire fans blame everyone but Maguire.

That third goal wasn't Popes fault if you're a Pope fan.

It's about time those still backing him just fess up, he's not very good and has that mistake waiting in every game. Not sure how you can blame Dier at all.

I didn't bother watching the England game so have no idea. But I think your agenda probably gets you a bit blinkered anyway.

'Maguire fans need to fess up' highlights enough.

I heard Shaw had an excellent game. Apparently played a ball out to Sterling that you'd only ever expect to see on FIFA.

I didn't bother watching the England game so have no idea. But I think your agenda probably gets you a bit blinkered anyway.

'Maguire fans need to fess up' highlights enough.
I don't have an agenda, I'd love for him to be brilliant so we could save money on a new CB.

But I'd also like people to admit when there are wrong, and not blame other people for his mistakes. Like JSP implied with Dier.

You continually have a pop at Eriksen when he's been nothing but excellent, that is an agenda in my opinion, avoiding all data to reinforce your point. I don't think having a go at Maguire when his form is terrible is having an agenda. It's stating a fact that he is not good enough.

Luke Shaw on Harry Maguire: “Harry is an amazing player, an amazing character. He’s taken a lot of stick - probably more than I’ve ever seen before in football. At the moment the confidence might not be there because it could feel like the whole world is against him.”

When you've got his team mate telling you it's the most abuse he's ever seen towards a footballer you should realise there is an agenda driven narrative.

It's a shame United fans would rather get on his back than get behind him. Shows the side we've become it used to be that when our players were getting abused from outsiders it was when we backed them most. Now we've just joined in to toxic booing off our own players and wonder why they're confidence shot.

I've not seen the mistake yet. But have loved the responses from his England team mates. Apparently he's injured too now according to Kane.

The Eriksen nothing but brilliant narrative is nauseating. Bruno's been the better player but no one mentions his performances. It Bruno was putting in the performances Eriksen does no one would mention it. After the Arsenal game everyone talking about Eriksen when Bruno played two worldy of the ball and was easily the better player of the two but Eriksen is the media darling whilst Bruno's performances get ignored. It's ridiculous. Eriksens been decent but McT had been too and Bruno but I don't see anyone else talking about them because the media aren't hyping up every basic level thing they do.

I remember people burning David Beckham effergies. So not sure Luke is right there, and of course his team mate will defend him to the press.

There are two different things going on here, as a football fan I think it's absolutely wrong that a player gets booed. Nothing right there. But I do think a player should have the mental strength to rise above it if they want to be a top player. Mental strength comes into that.

As a united fan, I have no agenda, I don't think he's good enough and I'm pleased we have a manager who doesn't feel like he has to play him because of the fee etc. He put his trust in him by keeping him captain but he's clearly not doing enough in training and on the pitch. And we do look better with Varane and Martinez. I hope he comes good because we have other areas I want to see them strengthen than keep going back to CB. But he has not shown me he has what it takes to be a first teamer at a top club. I do think if we can sell him we should and just move on from Maguire.

as for the press, I don't think they are over the top on him, he's playing badly, what are they meant to do, not report on it.

Shaws 27. Might be a bit much to expect him to remember something that happened 24 years ago as something he's seen. Though I'd suggest the bomb threats at Maguires house were worse.

Maguire spent 2 years being our best player and showing you he had exactly what it took to be a CB at the club and captained the club to second in the league. Finished in the Europa and Euros team of the season. But when you don't want to see it you won't.

How come Maguire fans blame everyone but Maguire.

That third goal wasn't Popes fault if you're a Pope fan.

It's about time those still backing him just fess up, he's not very good and has that mistake waiting in every game. Not sure how you can blame Dier at all.

My point was there was a lot more going on last night than just Maguire making a massive howler which he did and 100% he deserves to be criticised for.

1) Germany were pushing right up on us because they know Pope like De Gea can't play quick passes so at all times they were ready to go for the press. If you watched the game you'd have noticed how many times Pope got away with one because he dithered on the ball.

2) I think Dier rushes the free kick the England players aren't setup to go short he plays the pass to Maguire who sees the press coming and tries to pass it on to Shaw but Musiala reads and it because the pass is crap he nicks it. It's a bad pass that gets intercepted now he's one vs one and the guy beats him and wins a penalty.

So there's two things last night 1 I don't think Germany press that aggressively if Pickford is in goal and 2 I don't think Stones plays that pass to Maguire because he's seen the opponent waiting to press us.

Maguire should be dropped just as he has been for Utd but with zero games to test a new partnership out before the world cup it isn't going to happen.

My defence of him is I just feel a bit sorry for the bloke he's having a tough time he's miles off his best form and putting him out their and allowing him to soldier on and keep making mistakes isn't any good for anyone.

England have big problems at centre back going into Qatar.

I heard Shaw had an excellent game. Apparently played a ball out to Sterling that you'd only ever expect to see on FIFA.

Yeah he got a goal and the pass to Sterling was brilliant took out their entire midfield and defence with one pass, just a shame Sterling couldn't get it past the keeper who made a decent save.

He was solid throughout maybe got caught on his heels a bit for the 3rd goal as Havertz beat him to the rebound having gambled on Pope spilling the ball. That is if you want to be really critical it's the kind of thing that I think holds Shaw back he can be a bit reactive rather than proactive in his defending and get caught ball watching.

I think he's certainly someone who's come out of the international break more assured of his place in the starting XI than others.

I think he's nailed down the left wing back spot if he stays fit even if he's not playing for Utd at the moment. He looked more comfortable in that position than Saka did and Chilwell wasn't used in either match. Not sure if that was fitness or tactical, to me it suggests that they might not take Chilwell and have Saka as a backup left back to free up a spot.

Shaws 27. Might be a bit much to expect him to remember something that happened 24 years ago as something he's seen. Though I'd suggest the bomb threats at Maguires house were worse.

Maguire spent 2 years being our best player and showing you he had exactly what it took to be a CB at the club and captained the club to second in the league. Finished in the Europa and Euros team of the season. But when you don't want to see it you won't.
players get death threats for being black.

Shaw is over stating the fact saying Maguire gets it worse than anyone else.

He should not be getting booed or threats, most normal fans know that.

And I definitley see Maguire play, and see he's not good enough. He's been dropped by united, probably would be if there was another option at England, and I doubt will get a new contract. But I'm wrong and you're right.

If you're happy for a CB to make mistakes like that on a regular basis then bully for you.

There is no denying Maguire is in a real hole at the moment and needs to dig himself out of it. It won’t be easy because Varane and Martinez look rock solid at the moment - he will get games but may not be enough to secure his starting spot at the WC.

The amount of abuse he’s had lately is deplorable - I’m not surprised his mind is scrambled. People say you shouldn’t feel sorry for him because he’s earning so much money but he’s still a human being.

Taking it away from Maguire for a minute. I thought Shaw was excellent and will give ETH food for thought. I think ultimately Shaw will win his place back from Malacia and be our number one left back at the WC.

Pope hasn’t done himself any favours, it was a difficult bouncing ball for Germany’s equalised but a top level keeper should be holding that.

I think for England Shaw is almost nailed on to start now he is the best option for England at either left back or left wing back. You are kind of hoping bit like Maguire that at the world cup the version we saw at the euros turns up for a month and not the one we've seen in a Utd shirt ever since then.

There's not really a lot of competition for him with Chilwell looking like he's struggling to come back from his injuries, struggling to think of another left back who's even playing in the prem. There's Mitchell at Palace who I think could get a chance after the world cup.

At Utd it's a different story because of the form of Malacia he needs to fight to win his spot back. The scheduling means even if both are fit then Shaw will likely get at least 5 starts before the world cup.

It feels like the starting XI looks pretty set now for the world cup

Pickford

Walker Stone Maguire

James Bellingham Rice Shaw

Foden Kane Sterling

I think for England Shaw is almost nailed on to start now he is the best option for England at either left back or left wing back. You are kind of hoping bit like Maguire that at the world cup the version we saw at the euros turns up for a month and not the one we've seen in a Utd shirt ever since then.

There's not really a lot of competition for him with Chilwell looking like he's struggling to come back from his injuries, struggling to think of another left back who's even playing in the prem. There's Mitchell at Palace who I think could get a chance after the world cup.

At Utd it's a different story because of the form of Malacia he needs to fight to win his spot back. The scheduling means even if both are fit then Shaw will likely get at least 5 starts before the world cup.

It feels like the starting XI looks pretty set now for the world cup

Pickford

Walker Stone Maguire

James Bellingham Rice Shaw

Foden Kane Sterling
Do you not think Southgate prefers Eric Dier instead of Kyle Walker, in the middle of the back three with Maguire on the left and Stone on the right?

I was looking at some insight into Maguires performance. I think he has some real problems, making real basic mistakes, just not thinking clearly. Stepping up in the wrong places, leaving acres of space behind, running into opponents, It's a worry, I think it would be best for him to step down a level at club level. Maybe go to West Ham or somewhere like that.

As for England, their CB position is a real problem, weird because historically we have been strong in that position.

Is it just me or is anyone else a little lukewarm when thinking about the WC this time around?

Obviously being in November is a factor - the good thing about the WC is having a great time in the sun at the outside screenings or chilling in the garden before and after. It doesn’t quite have the same feel being cuddled up in blankets and thermals.

Also the fact it’s in Qatar doesn’t help with my indifference towards it.

I will still be watching obviously but there isn’t that sense of excitement.

Do you not think Southgate prefers Eric Dier instead of Kyle Walker, in the middle of the back three with Maguire on the left and Stone on the right?

I don't think so. I think he wants Walker's recovery pace in that back line as none of his centre backs are quick plus it allows him to easily switch to a back 4 if required. I think if Dier was to come into the 3 he'd be on the right of the 3 with Stones in the centre and Maguire left.

I just don't think it's worth having James in the team ahead of one of the attacking players, I like him but we need lads who can score goals on the pitch and I don't see James scoring very often. Especially as England almost always build up down the left side.

Just play a flat back 4 with Walker at right back and either get an extra centre mid in to try and control the ball and game or an extra attacker in to unpick the lock. It might be in the knockout matches we then drop back to the 3-4-3 and play the boring nick it by a goal tactics.

Even at the Euros it felt more 3-5-2 as Mount would drop into midfield and Sterling played almost right up with Kane.

Is it just me or is anyone else a little lukewarm when thinking about the WC this time around?

Obviously being in November is a factor - the good thing about the WC is having a great time in the sun at the outside screenings or chilling in the garden before and after. It doesn’t quite have the same feel being cuddled up in blankets and thermals.

Also the fact it’s in Qatar doesn’t help with my indifference towards it.

I will still be watching obviously but there isn’t that sense of excitement.

Yeah it just feels all wrong there's not been a long break since the euros so it still feels like that was only yesterday and now it's the world cup.

Summer tournaments to me at about packed pubs, beer gardens, bbq's everyone is out and getting involved this feels like the complete opposite.

It also doesn't have the big event build up buzz to it because of it being mid season.

This can never be allowed to happen again world cups have to be held in the summer that's the tradition and it should never be allowed to be changed again. Even if that means some countries never get to host it, sadly that's just tough luck.

Isn't the issue more it's not been long since the Euros? I don't think there'd have been a buzz for the world cup had it been the summer just gone.

Back to back tournaments just isn't right.

Isn't the issue more it's not been long since the Euros? I don't think there'd have been a buzz for the world cup had it been the summer just gone.

Back to back tournaments just isn't right.
It's a bit of both, but for me more the fact that it is in mid season when there is already other football on, and also it is in Qatar (dirty choice) which just does not have the 'festival of football' feel about it.

It's a bit of both, but for me more the fact that it is in mid season when there is already other football on, and also it is in Qatar (dirty choice) which just does not have the 'festival of football' feel about it.
Plus the shocking treatment of the labour force used to make the thing happen. And the stench of money.

Other than that....

It feel a bit like Morrisons Cola vs Coca Cola.

It's not the real thing.

The World Cup is great because you have a few weeks after the club season ends to build up to it and build the buzz.

This time it's basically club football ends and 6 days later the world cup starts there's no build up as for the next 6/7 weeks all everyone will really think about is club football.

Kyle Walker is a doubt for the world cup.

He's picked up an abdominal injury and currently doesn't have a fixed return date.

Does that mean the back 3 system will be abandoned as we only really play it to utilise his pace.

Kyle Walker had surgery on his groin last week that's going to be very quick rehab to be ready for a world cup that is only 6 weeks away.

TAA now also a doubt for the World Cup and last night Reece James limped off for Chelsea. Klopp suggested that TAA might be back in 2-3 weeks and we don't really know where James will be.

England have got 3 top quality right backs and currently all of them could miss the tournament.

A big chance for Trippier or White (playing RB at Arsenal) to step up if these boys aren't fit.

In terms of the rest of the squad Rashford I think is really going to make a push for a call up if he keeps up the current form he does look back to his old self and England need a player with his direct style. Connor Gallagher is getting playing time at Chelsea he might have a shot.

I did see the other day that the squad size has been increased from 23 players to 26 players, you have to name 3 keepers within your 26.

On form he certainly is Trippier has been in top form lately whereas TAA has really struggled.

Just don't think the style England play suits TAA at the moment we aren't full of players who look to score from crosses and his defending isn't good enough.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back