Edinson Cavani | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should advise Martial against heading the ball. He would only run around for a while looking even feckin dizzier than he normally does.

Carabao Cup: Everton 0-2 Manchester United - 23rd December 2020

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought he looked off the pace for much of the game, but what a strike!

I thought he looked off the pace for much of the game, but what a strike!
Guess he will have games like that but around the box he knows where the goal is. I suspect that’s what he was kept on because he is very capable of something sweet like that strike.

Cavani is pure class, our other forwards are getting a striking lesson, see how he hits the ball early last night, as soon as its out of his feet. Martial or Rashford probably take another touch in that position and get closed down. Greenwood has similar fundamentals to Cavani though, when in doubt SHOOT!

Set the chance perfectly gave the defenders no chance and unleashed an unstoppable shot with his weaker foot.

He’s just a class act shame we couldn’t get him in his prime but PSG offered him crazy money and you can see why their fans love him.

Premier League: Leicester City 2-2 Manchester United - 26th December 2020

Good cameo/impact sub.

So impressed with him tonight and since he joined us. Runs his socks off never giving the defenders an easy time, I feel much more comfortable with Cavani as our no.9 than Rashford or Martial. Work rate, intelligent runs, professionalism. He will be so crucial in the second half of the season.

Yep he was class last night just occupied their defence for the full game, sniffed out a goal by being alert, forced the keeper to make some good saves, held the ball up well and worked his nuts off putting the opponent under pressure.

He should be starting the league games going forward 1 game a week for him let Martial have cup/europa to earn his spot back.

Such a shame we didn't get hm when he left Napoli but PSG paid him an absolute fortune and you can see why they loved him there.

Clearly our best number 9 by a mile! Just a shame he is 33 and not 23. But think he’s got a couple of years left him in yet. I think when you see him play you see the advantage of having a proper striker with those instincts and traits - of which Martial and Rashford lack.

Also love his little celebration archery bit!

this is a position we need to find a long term solution for.

Yeah I agree there's still a few years left in those legs but it's 1 game a week for him I doubt he recovers as quickly as he did a few years ago and unlike other strikers he hasn't adapted his game to save his legs.

I'd happily give him the second season on that deal but in the summer I think we've got to be looking for a proper quality centre forward who can be the first choice every game and have Cavani as the backup if he's happy with that role off the bench.

this is a position we need to find a long term solution for.
Greenwood could be the long term solution, I'd rather he was getting minutes as a striker when Cavani needs a rest rather than shoehorning Greenwood into the right wing tbh.

I don't think he is even in the same vein, we need that box striker like Cavani.

Greenwood is at a tricky cross roads where he maybe needs a bit of time out on loan somewhere in a slightly easier league just to brush up on a few bits of his game. I think he'll struggle to make it as a centre forward unless he has a bit of a growth spurt the way the game is now to be a centre forward you've got to be able to handle the physical game on your own.

Cavani is a great guy for someone like Greenwood to learn things from to become the all round centre forward.

The obvious name on everyones mind would be Haaland, but I would love to see Mason slowly make that spot his own. As @jsp has just mentioned though, he needs to up some of the areas of his game and lets not be too unfair, he is still 19 so plenty of time to do that.

Cavani needs to be our first choice ST in my opinion, offers far more than Martial does, just a shame that we will have to manage his fatigue levels and to avoid injury with him being nearly 34.

I think it's time to move Martial on.
That could be the answer potentially, he is just so frustrating to watch at times, and his lack of enthusiasm/determination is something that I dont think you can teach.

Cavani is everything he isn't, and for me, think we stand far more chance with him instead of Martial.

The Cavani goal last night, I dont think Martial (or Rashy) are in that position to tap it in.

It's a tough one money will still be tight for everyone next summer as lets face it the fans aren't coming back this season so unless prices drop massively buying and selling is going to be tough. City managed to get 40-50m for Sane off Bayern Martial is a similar type of frustrating player to Sane but it's hard to see who'd offer up that sort of money for him. Maybe Utd could use him as part of a deal for a player like Haaland but Martial is on big wages so he'll be tough to shift out.

Think positions in the team have to be given on merit if you're in form you're in the team there's good pressure and competition up top at the moment for the central and left position maybe Diallo will give us a bit more from the right once he's settled in.

If Martial gets back to his best he puts real pressure on Rashford or Cavani for a starting spot but if a club came in with a good offer I'd let him move on and look to buy a player who can be more consistent.

I wonder what the deadline is for the second year option on the Cavani deal?

Greenwood is at a tricky cross roads where he maybe needs a bit of time out on loan somewhere in a slightly easier league just to brush up on a few bits of his game. I think he'll struggle to make it as a centre forward unless he has a bit of a growth spurt the way the game is now to be a centre forward you've got to be able to handle the physical game on your own.

Cavani is a great guy for someone like Greenwood to learn things from to become the all round centre forward.
Agreed, Greenwood needs experience through the middle, he can get that at the club though, cup games and final 20 of league games etc. Although Rashford is a cracking player who developed well year on year, imo we botched his development as an outright striker, when he burst on the scene he was a natural #9 didn't drift too wide and always found space in the box. Successive managers put him on the wing due to his pace and that's now his best position. When Ole gave him a run as central striker it didn't work out I believe those formative years on the wing removed his striker instincts. I want to see Greenwood stick to being the goalscoring centre forward he naturally is.

Agreed, Greenwood needs experience through the middle, he can get that at the club though, cup games and final 20 of league games etc. Although Rashford is a cracking player who developed well year on year, imo we botched his development as an outright striker, when he burst on the scene he was a natural #9 didn't drift too wide and always found space in the box. Successive managers put him on the wing due to his pace and that's now his best position. When Ole gave him a run as central striker it didn't work out I believe those formative years on the wing removed his striker instincts. I want to see Greenwood stick to being the goalscoring centre forward he naturally is.

Rashford was a winger quite a bit through youth football it was similar with him the manager changed and Mourinho got Zlatan in then Lukaku he clearly wasn’t prepared to put his faith in Rashford. I think the wide role really suits Rashford gets him on the ball facing goal and breaking behind from a deep position.

I think Greenwood has similar qualities that could make him a very good wide forward 2 footed, good close control and puts in a nice cross but like Rashford after that initial burst onto the scene he struggled a bit.

A lot of the centre forward stuff that Cavani has that others don’t is an instinctive thing he assumes keepers will fumble or defenders will miss the ball and puts himself in the position to take advantage. He doesn’t react he anticipates. He also wants to score from headers not sure the other lads really want to throw themselves in to challenges with defenders where you might get hurt. That sort of care free approach to getting hurt is a hard thing to teach.

I love watching this guy play. He's constantly having a go at those around him and his energy is non stop. He does love a swing and a miss though on low crossed balls.

Him and Bruno are so far ahead of anyone else in our side in determination.

Just imagine if we’d got him in his prime.

Works his balls off for 90 minutes and scores goals he’s the full package such a shame that he can’t be a more long term solution.

I was dubious about the impact he could make when he signed but oh my, I love him as much as Bruno. I think he could play for 2-3 years as he looks after himself so well. Martial knows if he can't match Cavani's goals and work rate then he isn't in the team.

Yeah, we might disagree over Maguire, but 2nd at this stage and above Liverpool would not have seemed possible at the start.

We're doing really well, and for someone who thought Cavani was too old I'm happy to be proven wrong. It's also highlighted how lightweight Martial is.

Definitely a position to improve long term. He's done great for us.

He's just a totally different striker to what we had last season.

He reminds me a lot of Van Nistelrooy just lives for goals and works his nuts off up top looking for goals maybe not quite as ruthless as Ruud but his movement is unreal.

What a shame we didn't get this guy 5-10 years ago when he was leaving Napoli according to Andy Mitten he was up for a move to Utd when he went to PSG but the money they offered him was to good to turn down and Utd at the time couldn't get near it.

One of the great things that cameras are picking up is on the pitch he's coaching the young players telling them where they've made mistakes with their runs they must love playing with him.

To me it's a no brainer right now that we keep him 1 more year send Martial packing and buy another striker.

To me it's a no brainer right now that we keep him 1 more year send Martial packing and buy another striker.
Definitely, they need to be looking now, or getting Greenwood ready. I'd send Martial packing this summer. Send a message to the rest, you put the effor in or you're gone.

I can't see us getting near Haaland which is a shame, with enough money, Kane could be an option.

Definitely, they need to be looking now, or getting Greenwood ready. I'd send Martial packing this summer. Send a message to the rest, you put the effor in or you're gone.

I can't see us getting near Haaland which is a shame, with enough money, Kane could be an option.

I think Greenwood looks like a wide player to me I'd be looking to get him modelling his games on a player like Salah just master the movements to create space to get those shots off I'm not sure he'll ever be able to go in the middle and do what a player like Cavani does. For Greenwood to be a central striker he'd have to play it a very different way for me he's just not alive enough in the box for crosses to be a number 9.

I think there's still a chance with Haaland by all accounts he's got a bit of a relationship with Ole which could sway things our way his agent hates Pep and those ex Barca boys with a passion.

Kane is a wonderful player but the ship has sailed on him I think the money it would cost would just make it impossible. £150m plus the wages considering his injury record it's just to big a gamble to take now.

The one I think we need to keep an eye on from the PL is Calvert-Lewin that lads got something this is a big breakthrough season for him if he can perform like this again next season he might be worth the gamble as the next big thing.

I think this season has just proven that Martial is not the answer long term he did really well last season I hoped maybe finally this would be him kicking on but he's gone backwards this season you just can't have a guy who is this inconsistent.

Cavani is different class, his movement to find space in the box is unreal. He's a beast as well, don't be fooled by his age, looking at him physically I'd say he's easily got 2 years more in him, he's a thoroughbred.

The one I think we need to keep an eye on from the PL is Calvert-Lewin that lads got something this is a big breakthrough season for him if he can perform like this again next season he might be worth the gamble as the next big thing.
Yeah have been thinking that many times this season, he would also be a very Fergie type signing. Someone who is doing well for another PL club and willing to take a chance on him making the step up. Similar to Saha, Carrick, Smith etc.

Haaland will be very gettable and I can see us being the one he chooses eventually. Just a feeling y’know.

Yeah have been thinking that many times this season, he would also be a very Fergie type signing. Someone who is doing well for another PL club and willing to take a chance on him making the step up. Similar to Saha, Carrick, Smith etc.

Haaland will be very gettable and I can see us being the one he chooses eventually. Just a feeling y’know.

Just silly prices would get asked realistically he’s costing 50-60m maybe more which is similar to what we could pay for Haaland with that buyout clause although they don’t kick in until 2022.

I think he’s a guy in the last year who’s really kicked on first under Duncan Ferguson then Carlo Ancelloti he’s just about to turn 24 so he’s entering his prime. He would be a gamble at that age Kane was hitting 30 a season for example this season DCL looks like he will get around 20 so you are hoping that he can explode and go up a level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back