Edinson Cavani | Match Discussion 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Getting a bit worried about Edi if I'm honest we saw last season the more he played the better he got this season he's not getting much of a look in and while he still charges around like a bull when he comes on he's not really getting into the games.

Said it in another thread I wouldn't be surprised if he was out the door in January which is a shame if that happens hopefully before then he gets to bang in a goal at Old Trafford as that crowd will love a player like him. Give it absolutely everything and when it kicks off on the pitch he's always first man on the scene to protect his team mate.

Don’t think he’ll start many so you may well be right about a January move. However, I still expect him to contribute a few goals when he does come off the bench.

I wish we had got him in his prime, he would run through glass for you. Love his attitude!

He has scored in front of the OT crowd though from what I remember? Against Fulham at the back end of last season when fans were allowed back in?

Technically true but wasn't capacity limited to 10,000?

My worry is if he doesn't play enough even when he does come on he won't be sharp and at his best he'll put in the work rate and effort but he looks to me like a player who the more he plays the sharper he gets. Doesn't look like someone who can just turn it on all the time.

Technically true but wasn't capacity limited to 10,000?

My worry is if he doesn't play enough even when he does come on he won't be sharp and at his best he'll put in the work rate and effort but he looks to me like a player who the more he plays the sharper he gets. Doesn't look like someone who can just turn it on all the time.
Yeah you are probably right on the reduced capacity. It would be nice if he did score in front of a packed crowd.

He does seem like the type that does need a good run of games to get sharp. I guess that’s another reason why going out of the League Cup was so disappointing. No doubt he would have been the starter in that competition which would have given him some vital game time.

Yeah I don't think he hung around to be a sub either he stayed because he probably felt between him and Greenwood he's getting 25-30 games as a starter plus subs but with Ronaldo now in the mix he's going to be sub a lot. He left PSG because he didn't want to be a substitute I think this guy wants to play.

I think he'll fight for his place he's never ducked a fight but because it's Ronaldo he's fighting with one hand behind his back as we've seen Ronaldo not only will start nearly every game it's also likely he won't be subbed unless the game is already won.

I think he's battling fitness problems. Which may be restricting his playing time too

Yeah heard a few people say he's one of these players who won't play with niggles so if he feels something he'll stop and won't risk it which is fair enough he knows his body better than anyone.

Just hasn't really got going he missed the first match because he had to isolate after his summer break so basically did no pre season other than running on a treadmill in his house. Then he got a bit of a knock and at the weekend he wasn't available due to international matches so it's been very stop start.

Just think with no league cup games it's going to be tough for Ole to really rotate as he needs to be full strength in league and champions league games to get wins. Maybe if we can win the 2 in the group the last game will be a dead rubber but that doesn't seem likely at the moment.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-3 Manchester United - 30th October 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By far his best performance of the season and a lovely finish for his goal.

Hopefully the injury that forced him off wasn’t anything serious

He has a tendon injury that has been troubling him since the summer.

He is missing the internationals and hopes to put the injury problem behind him soon.

He is an important player the only true number 9 at the club the only one capable of holding the ball up and bullying the opponents defence I think he’s a great partner for Ronaldo as we saw vs Spurs.

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-1 Manchester United - 27th December 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By a long way the best number 9 at the club just a shame he’s not fit enough to play every game.

we always look better when he’s in the team.

By a long way the best number 9 at the club just a shame he’s not fit enough to play every game.

we always look better when he’s in the team.
That's because we know he'll work his socks off and give 100% with and without the ball, and not whinge like Ronaldo and Bruno.

That's because we know he'll work his socks off and give 100% with and without the ball, and not whinge like Ronaldo and Bruno.

It’s not just those two it runs way deeper that’s a squad full of cry babies and plenty of them need to grow up and start taking accountability.

Squad full of nice boys Cavani could probably beat up all of them together in a fight.

It’s not just those two it runs way deeper that’s a squad full of cry babies and plenty of them need to grow up and start taking accountability.

Squad full of nice boys Cavani could probably beat up all of them together in a fight.

You don't have to take everything Gary Nev says as gospel you know.

You don't have to take everything Gary Nev says as gospel you know.

just because we agree on this point doesn’t mean we agree on everything.

I watched the game with my dad was shouting at the TV all the stuff Neville picked up on. Funnily my dad even said at half time Neville must have heard you.

Switching off when the ball goes dead
Arms in the air to the ref whenever you don’t get a decision while the opponent runs off with the ball
not sprinting to a ball that is in your favour

these are all easy things to spot in bad teams it wasn’t just Ronaldo and Bruno it was the whole team.

they time wasted non stop after their goal Maguire never got to the ref once, every foul Lascelles was on that ref demanding yellow cards. We allow this sort of stuff to happen because the whole team is a bunch of nice boys they need to switch on.

just because we agree on this point doesn’t mean we agree on everything.

I watched the game with my dad was shouting at the TV all the stuff Neville picked up on. Funnily my dad even said at half time Neville must have heard you.

Switching off when the ball goes dead
Arms in the air to the ref whenever you don’t get a decision while the opponent runs off with the ball
not sprinting to a ball that is in your favour

these are all easy things to spot in bad teams it wasn’t just Ronaldo and Bruno it was the whole team.

they time wasted non stop after their goal Maguire never got to the ref once, every foul Lascelles was on that ref demanding yellow cards. We allow this sort of stuff to happen because the whole team is a bunch of nice boys they need to switch on.

I'll have to watch it again. and I will because that's what I do, but never felt during the game the players moaned too much, or didn't contest decisions they shouldn't have.

The time wasting from them was embarrassing, how Sidney Joe Linton or whatever his name is won MOtM is beyond me, he spent most of his time on his backside crying to come off, but yet Gary Neville said he was outstanding, ok Gary.

I'll have to watch it again. and I will because that's what I do, but never felt during the game the players moaned too much, or didn't contest decisions they shouldn't have.

The time wasting from them was embarrassing, how Sidney Joe Linton or whatever his name is won MOtM is beyond me, he spent most of his time on his backside crying to come off, but yet Gary Neville said he was outstanding, ok Gary.

There’s two first half where players are flapping arms calling for fouls when the ball breaks to a 50-50 that they don’t even contest. They just don’t play to the whistle it’s something we all learned as kids while you cry at the ref I’m running off with the ball.

Hard to see on TV but their keeper was taking 30-40 seconds on every kick and not once did Maguire on anyone give him the hurry up.

The ref was poor tonight he allowed 2 minutes of dead time in added time and blew bang on the whistle but Utd aren’t clued up enough to putting the pressure on the ref to clamp down on it.

There’s two first half where players are flapping arms calling for fouls when the ball breaks to a 50-50 that they don’t even contest. They just don’t play to the whistle it’s something we all learned as kids while you cry at the ref I’m running off with the ball.

Hard to see on TV but their keeper was taking 30-40 seconds on every kick and not once did Maguire on anyone give him the hurry up.

The ref was poor tonight he allowed 2 minutes of dead time in added time and blew bang on the whistle but Utd aren’t clued up enough to putting the pressure on the ref to clamp down on it.

United can't win on that score, the Norwich Manager wouldn't shut up about Ronaldo and Co. trying to referee the game last time we played.

And yeah the Ref was poor, he got caught up in the occasion.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Burnley - 30th December 2021

It was Cavani’s turn to play like an old man.

Think he enjoyed the physical battle but just wasn’t really in the game.

Guessing back on the bench vs Wolves on Monday

Think he enjoyed the physical battle but just wasn’t really in the game.

Guessing back on the bench vs Wolves on Monday

Nope same team again, apart from Varane for Bailly who'll be Cameroon bound.

And more time for Rashford on the bench to prepare his speech for the Commons.

Nope same team again, apart from Varane for Bailly who'll be Cameroon bound.

And more time for Rashford on the bench to prepare his speech for the Commons.

Just don’t see him being played again he’s well in his 30s missed most of the season injured can’t see him starting 2 games in quick succession.

now he’s fit we need to make sure we keep him fit so I reckon back on the bench and used as a sub for the next game.

Just don’t see him being played again he’s well in his 30s missed most of the season injured can’t see him starting 2 games in quick succession.

now he’s fit we need to make sure we keep him fit so I reckon back on the bench and used as a sub for the next game.

So is Ronaldo, think he'll start and score against Wolves and hopefully he'll put the desperate to leave rumours to bed post-match.

So is Ronaldo, think he'll start and score against Wolves and hopefully he'll put the desperate to leave rumours to bed post-match.

Ok he’s well in his 30s and unlike Ronaldo he spends 50% of every season in the treatment room.

Cavani’s body has not stood up to the test of time like Ronaldo’s has

Premier League: Manchester United 0-1 Wolves - 3rd January 2022

Way off the pace again. He offered very little in attack. Not sure why he wasn’t replaced.

Impact sub not a starter.

Him and Ronaldo just don’t seem on the same wave length both coming short to often as they’re to old to run in behind

Was so surprised he started again after playing against Burnley. Rashford is pretty dreadful as well at the moment but he would have given us a run in behind option. We were so predictable with Cavani and Ronaldo upfront.

Really love Cavani’s attitude and application but he is an impact sub and shouldn’t be starting many games.

Just don’t think you can have him and Ronaldo together.

Cavani just isn’t getting in the game at all in these last few games even vs Newcastle.

The two strikers just aren’t linking with each other or the creative players.

Ok he’s well in his 30s and unlike Ronaldo he spends 50% of every season in the treatment room.

Cavani’s body has not stood up to the test of time like Ronaldo’s has

That's not even close to being true.

@PSG

2014 - 44 appearances
2015 - 53
2016 - 51
2017 - 51
2018 - 47
2019 - 34
2020 - 21 before signing for United

There was a drop off of appearances in 2019 but that was as much who he was competing with(and we all know who that was)for game time, than him being unavailable through injury.

The guy is a machine, and we should enjoy every last second we have him at the club.

That's not even close to being true.

@PSG

2014 - 44 appearances
2015 - 53
2016 - 51
2017 - 51
2018 - 47
2019 - 34
2020 - 21 before signing for United

There was a drop off of appearances in 2019 but that was as much who he was competing with(and we all know who that was)for game time, than him being unavailable through injury.

The guy is a machine, and we should enjoy every last second we have him at the club.

That's all in the past though in his prime the bloke was a tank barely missed a game but in his later years injuries have been a growing concern just look at the drop off from 2018 onwards.

He missed a lot of games last season at Utd with injuries and he's also missed a lot of games so far with injuries and he also had that silly ban for his social media post.

I think he's a great player and his attitude is bang on we really need him to find his best form for the second half of the season but you can't really build anything that relies on him because we all know he's leaving in the summer and at any point his body will give up on him.

That's all in the past though in his prime the bloke was a tank barely missed a game but in his later years injuries have been a growing concern just look at the drop off from 2018 onwards.

He missed a lot of games last season at Utd with injuries and he's also missed a lot of games so far with injuries and he also had that silly ban for his social media post.

I think he's a great player and his attitude is bang on we really need him to find his best form for the second half of the season but you can't really build anything that relies on him because we all know he's leaving in the summer and at any point his body will give up on him.

Neither Cavani or Ronaldo have been brought in for the long-term, more to take the pressure off what is still a very young forward line for this season at least, but just training alone with two of the very best in the business for well over a decade will benefit Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Elanga et al if they want to watch, listen and learn the art of forward play. If they don't they will be moved on.

Neither Cavani or Ronaldo have been brought in for the long-term, more to take the pressure off what is still a very young forward line for this season at least, but just training alone with two of the very best in the business for well over a decade will benefit Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Elanga et al if they want to watch, listen and learn the art of forward play. If they don't they will be moved on.

I think having both is a problem having one is fine but when the decision was made to bring Ronaldo back I think a conversation could and maybe should have been had with Cavani to allow him to leave.

Neither of these boys are here to play the bit part both want to play as much as possible.

One thing I do accept is for these young players to learn from the attitude and drive these two guys have but to also have the mentality to think I can out perform these boys I’ll go out there and make sure you the manager picks me and not you every week. That is the attitude Cavani has he makes you play him because when he’s on that pitch he fights for everything that comes near him.

I think having both is a problem having one is fine but when the decision was made to bring Ronaldo back I think a conversation could and maybe should have been had with Cavani to allow him to leave.

Neither of these boys are here to play the bit part both want to play as much as possible.

One thing I do accept is for these young players to learn from the attitude and drive these two guys have but to also have the mentality to think I can out perform these boys I’ll go out there and make sure you the manager picks me and not you every week. That is the attitude Cavani has he makes you play him because when he’s on that pitch he fights for everything that comes near him.

There's one thing the squad is short of and it's been obvious for a few years now, experience, and experienced winners.

And okay you bring in Ronaldo and let Cavani leave, what happens if Ronaldo gets a long-term injury in the first match of the season, muddle through until January with an inexperienced forward-line with the damage it could do to them as individuals taking on the responsibility of scoring the goals for the biggest, most talked about club in the world, fine if they get off to a flyer scoring goals for fun, but if they didn't ....

Plus it will do Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho no harm having to fight for one position, for this season anyway, it's just a shame we haven't got that level of competition elsewhere in the squad, yet!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back