Diogo Dalot | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Hojlund gets way too much grace for doing very little other than run about in my opinion.

that ball was not an easy one because of the position Hojlund took up.

If we don't get a proper striker in Jan we are going to struggle all season

Dalot isn't good enough you're right. Nor is Hojlund.

Or our transfer team, should have bought Pavard. He covers RB and we wouldn't need to play Shaw at CB
You can level Dalot not being good enough because he’s been here a number of years but not having Hojlund being declared not good enough either. The guy has played 12 EPL games!

If you can judge on him12 games so can I.

And on those games he has poor first touch, doesn't really hold the ball that well, and is never in the right place, he doesn't seem to have that goal scorers instinct.

He does, as you all say, hurry the defenders, which currently is his only asset.

Is Hojlund getting any quality service and missing chances?
No, because we don’t have conventional wingers Antony & Rashford both want to cut inside for a shot and neither go outside and get a good cross in. Rasmus is raw I agree but he’s getting little help in this set up.
Antony is totally one footed and easy to defend against, he’s not what we needed, shocking waste of money.

If you can judge on him12 games so can I.

And on those games he has poor first touch, doesn't really hold the ball that well, and is never in the right place, he doesn't seem to have that goal scorers instinct.

He does, as you all say, hurry the defenders, which currently is his only asset.
You can’t judge a player on 12 games though and say he isn’t good enough. And the things you say about never being in the right place, he’s done that on a fair few occasions in the CL and away against Copenhagen he had that goal scorers instinct. It’s not happened for him in the EPL but others have struggled to begin with. Forlan struggled for a hell of a lot longer but that guy was pure class - albeit more so when he moved away from United.

I’ve always said he has got potential but he’s of course not the finished article. There is enough there though.

Watched the highlights.

Poor on their second goal puts no pressure on the player allows him time and space to cross and pick out his man at the back post.

As for the ball across I think it’s on and he should be looking for it. However, if you are going to shoot from their you need to be hitting the target the attempt is well wide.

I have little doubt the guy will be a star.

Those that criticise him are the same that couldn’t see the potential in Ronaldo and thought we were better with Ruud upfront

I presume IDFD is talking about Hojlund there and not Dalot.

I myself have commented but probably best move the chat to the Hojlund thread, as this is moving away from Dalot discussion.

I have little doubt the guy will be a star.

Those that criticise him are the same that couldn’t see the potential in Ronaldo and thought we were better with Ruud upfront
nonsense

I loved Ronaldo prior to his return.

Hojlund isn't good enough. How you can compare Hojlud to Ronaldo is laughable.

I remeber Ronaldo's first game, he was exciting, you could see the potential in him immediatly.

I just checked his stats, his total prem minutes that season account for 17 games, 4 goals and 4 assists.

the above statement is just total nonsense

Hojlund, as JSP said, is more like Forlan. Although Forlan did get into good positions.

One thing I will say is I'm a lot more convinced about Hojlund becoming a top player than I ever was about Dalot.

Let's not forget Dalot arrived with a similar fanfare, was going to be the best RB in Europe

According to his agent and to be fair at U21 level he'd done well for Portugal but his record in senior football was even shorter than Hojlund.

He was a player with a bright future, I just think he made a poor career choice. Needed to stay at Porto for at least 1 year and establish himself in the first team there before making a move. Utd tried to be clever and get in before he extended his contract at Porto which would have seen his release clause shot up.

There didn't seem to be much of a plan for him once he got here he was probably a player that needed to go straight out on loan. Dalot was signed to be the number 2 to Valencia in his first season whereas Hojlund clearly came in to be the number 1 straight away which is crazy pressure to put on a kid with so little experience.

number 1 straight away which is crazy pressure to put on a kid with so little experience.
Isn't this the point I make and everyone argues against. No ready, not good enough to lead united.

He might be good enough in 4 years, but thats no use to us now.

Isn't this the point I make and everyone argues against. No ready, not good enough to lead united.

He might be good enough in 4 years, but thats no use to us now.

We go round in circles and this isn't the thread to discuss it.

I totally get your point in an ideal world Utd signed Harry Kane but we couldn't get him so we've had to do something different.

Bring in a kid, back him and play him through this development stage to me is a better option than the alternatives which was a) buy no one and play Martial or b) spend £70m on a player who's good but not quite world class and end up with another Lukaku situation.

I don't think it'll take 4 years to find out if Hojlund has it or doesn't we'll know in 12 months.

If you want to go back 10 years Utd turned down the chance to go for Lewendowski instead going for RVP. That sort of short term thinking delivered a league title for Fergie in his final season but that was it had the club thought more long term they might have had the best number 9 in europe for a decade.

Maybe I'm optimistic but I really like the kid and I'm confident goals will come but there's going to be a painful period to get through first.

If there was a young striker out there that had scored 5 goals in 5 Champions League games this season everybody of a red persuasion would be desperate for United to try and sign him, and DALOT has always performed better on the LEFT, he just rarely plays there for United.

I think defensively he’s looked better at left back but he really struggles to get forward on that side because he doesn’t want to go outside.

Think his issue is either side he can just be a bit dozey, switches off and it can cost you.

Pretty ridiculous decision to send Dalot off but Michael Oliver does like some headlines about him.

Sure give a yellow card but not two! And it was our throw in anyway, so Dalot was understandably frustrated at an incorrect decision!

The refs are on this stuff this season show aggression towards an official you get a yellow. They are rightly clamping down on it because a lack of refs is killing the game at grass roots.

He is unfortunate but he’s also stupid he’s got himself sent off because he didn’t get a throw in.

It’s the lack of consistency again though. Nunez got booked and then sarcastically clapped the ref but no second yellow?

It was definitely worth a yellow but not a second yellow. It was ref headline grabbing for me.

Absolutely nonsense. As mentioned above it’s the lack of consistency. If Dalot should walk then Nunez has to earlier.

Can't even get consistency from the same ref over 90 mins. Laughable really

Did the ref even see the Nunez clap?

One thing they are big on is aggression towards an official not sarcasm. Dalot did the exact same stupid thing twice.

The yellow is your warning to do the exact same thing again is stupid.

Are the refs consistent? no but it doesn’t give you a free pass when you do something wrong.

I think Oliver could have had a word after the yellow and told him to calm down but his bosses want him to clamp down on it so he’s decided to apply the rule in its literal sense. Had this happened on 60 minutes I don’t think he gives the second yellow.

I still think you hold the player accountable first getting two yellow cards for dissent is stupid.

Nunez was having a pop at everyone. Even the Liverpool fans in my group chat thought he'd go.

No way the ref can let that go, but not Dalots one

They are all miked up, if he didn't see it, it was right in front of the linesman.

If the same ref can't get consistency in the same match, what hope is there.

As I said the thing they're really clamping down on is aggression and threatening behaviour towards officials, that is what is causing the problems at grass roots level that they want to stamp out.

Nunez was being a d*ck but was his behaviour threatening towards an official or was it petulance? I think he was lucky and had he done it later in the game he might have been pulled up I don't think refs want to send players off early in games unless they have to.

Also, whatever he did doesn't excuse what Dalot did which was idiotic.

it looked pretty agressive to me. From the foul to the words after the booking. I saw no difference whatsoever

I am not discussing what Dalot did, or whether he is an idiot, it's not part of this discussion.

A referee judged two identical incicents differently in the same match. Doesn't matter if they were idiots or not.

It is unacceptable from the referee

Brilliant block when the West Ham player was through on goal and when the score was 2-0.

Looks to be back in the form we saw before the World Cup last season.

Playing with confidence on the ball and not switching off with his defending.

Sloppy with his passing in the first 5 minutes but after that outstanding, probably our player of the match.

An absolute peach of a cross for the winner. Overall pretty good performance and he’s definitely cemented that right back spot for the rest of the season. Although depending on that Shaw injury, I think he could be switched to left back to accommodate.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back