Diogo Dalot contract situation

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think he has a 12 month option clause in the deal.

Plenty of players who’s contracts are up for renewal but the club have been pretty clear they won’t discuss new contracts until after the World Cup.

Given his current for you’d expect Utd are willing to offer him a new deal as ETH seems to like him.

I think it is easy to forget how young he still is, we signed him when he was 19 and he is now 23. EtH hailed his development and form over the past few weeks. He should definitely be offered a new contract if his form continues, but EtH did say that the club needs two quality full backs on each side of the pitch.

I'm just enjoying seeing the players develop under a coaching team, as it seems like a very long time since this last happened.

Seems like his agent (Jorge Mendes) is trying to stir the pot a bit and force Utd into negotiations.

There's a lot of rumours that Barcelona are interested in him.

As well as he's playing, he won't be difficult to replace. He shouldn't over play his hand.

It's a very tricky situation for Utd as where do you pitch your offer to him.

These numbers are all ripped from google so who knows the truth on what players actually earn.

Dalot - £25k a week
Malacia - £75k a week
AWB - £90k a week
Shaw - £150k a week
Williams - £65k a week

I know where his agent is going to pitch his demands now that he's an established first team player but we are yet to see him deliver consistently over a long period of time which is why I think the club will be wise to wait to the end of the season.

Think if he stays he might be developed as a RCB over the next few years, or just used as a solid squad player that can play practically any outfield position behind the front-line.

In terms of the right back position, I still think we need a solid signing and I would expect that solid signing to either make the role his own - or push AWB all the way for it - which would decide if AWB becomes our No1 RB or a very good back up. I don't see Dalot making it his.

I think he’s a decent squad player like Malacia but I don’t think he’s good enough to start regularly for a side going for the title.

I feel the same about Wan Bissaka to me in order to kick on we need to sign a top quality right back and that would likely mean one of Dalot or AWB leaving.

Not sure what to make of the news to be honest, and I say that as somebody that has always defended him, it's great for the lad obviously, but does it mean we are gonna continue rotating him and AWB for the foreseeable. Ends the pursuit of Frimpong for starters ....

Squad player he’s a decent but not great right back and a competent third choice left back.

Had a really good run of form before the World Cup but never really recovered his form after the injury and lost his spot.

He switches off to often defensively and I think his attacking contribution is over rated.

5 years pretty much ties him down for his career and £125k a week is big money.

Ugh...I thought this summer was supposed to be different. I know it's only one new contract to an undeserving player, and it doesn't mean we're going to keep all the deadwood again and expect the manager to work miracles, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that life under ETH is going to be any different.

Agree with @jsp's assessment. Decent squad cover, but isn't nearly good enough to play FB in a title challenging side. We should be phasing out those types of players and bringing in upgrades, not giving them 5 year deals.

Ugh...I thought this summer was supposed to be different. I know it's only one new contract to an undeserving player, and it doesn't mean we're going to keep all the deadwood again and expect the manager to work miracles, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that life under ETH is going to be any different.

Agree with @jsp's assessment. Decent squad cover, but isn't nearly good enough to play FB in a title challenging side. We should be phasing out those types of players and bringing in upgrades, not giving them 5 year deals.

The Manager obviously wants him around so let's see how the window plays out before we start full-scale moaning eh?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back