David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

That's an awful cough you've got and there's no harm in have a few posts about individual players in their performance thread as long as it remains focused.

That's an awful cough you've got and there's no harm in have a few posts about individual players in their performance thread as long as it remains focused.

That's how it starts, before you know it'll be okay to put glass jars/bottles in the plastics only box ....

I'd give him an 8 for his two performances so far ....

4¼ v Brighton
3¾ v Brentford

Taken a lot of abuse this season. Just watching the game a second time. Made an absolute wonder save that was behind him which everyone seemed to miss.

Was scary seeing him 40 yards off his line!

I noticed early he was kicking long too. Maybe stopped trying to get him to do what he can't. Which doesn't bode well for him long term.

Thought his kicking was pretty good last night he's not got much to hit when we play long as none of our attacking players are particularly good in the air.

Made a couple of good saves to.

I noticed early he was kicking long too. Maybe stopped trying to get him to do what he can't. Which doesn't bode well for him long term.
I think it was a tactic for this game. Teams have worked out that if you go long against the Liverpool press and win the first or second ball you can get after them.

I think it was a tactic for this game. Teams have worked out that if you go long against the Liverpool press and win the first or second ball you can get after them.

What was interesting was ETH said this was meant to be the tactic vs Brentford draw them forward then go over the press and fight for the second ball.

Be interesting to see if we go back to playing short in the next game.

What was interesting was ETH said this was meant to be the tactic vs Brentford draw them forward then go over the press and fight for the second ball.

Be interesting to see if we go back to playing short in the next game.
I mean ultimately long term I think that's what Ten Hag wants to do. But perhaps they need to build up confidence first?

I think ultimately De Gea's days at Utd are numbered I think it's time for a change next summer but this season we will need to use him so it might mean that ETH has to compensate a bit for his passing and be a little bit more direct in style this season.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Keep your head down Calamity Jane, a few regulation saves in the next match will have your fans calling you the best in the World again, and demanding you are paid accordingly, oh hang on ....

The requirements for a goalkeeper have evolved since DDG joined the club, and unfortunately he does not have the all-round game a keeper needs in modern football and EtH's sytem. Being a great shotstopper is simply not enough now. The lapse in concentration last night was unforgiveable.

The requirements for a goalkeeper have evolved since DDG joined the club, and unfortunately he does not have the all-round game a keeper needs in modern football and EtH's sytem. Being a great shotstopper is simply not enough now. The lapse in concentration last night was unforgiveable.
All keepers make mistakes, even the en vogue darlings Allison and Edison.

Perhaps my view is a minority one, but I feel he more than earns his keep.

It was bad mistake, but he's saved plenty of points this season.

He was like an old Man staggering home drunk, hanging on to the post, I half expected him to get his todger out!

The goal was inexcusably poor, and there was a moment in the second half where he goes walkabout and nearly gets himself in trouble. He used to be good for a David James moment every few matches, but lately they're few and far between. I don't hate him as my keeper, but when we're paying for the best keeper in the world, I'd expect better.

De Gea has become the first non-British player to make 400 Premier League appearances(for one club)

Really?!? I thought he was poor today. Had relatively little to do, but was dodgy with his feet again, and gifted them a good chance that a side fighting relegation does more with.

Made some pretty routine saves but the defence in front of him didn't exactly give him an easy day he earned his clean sheet bonus.

Had a couple of dodgy clearances but his shot stopping was spot on yesterday.

I've gone in the sequence Shaw then De Gea, neither are fall guys, unless i've been going around the forum with my eyes closed, so what point are you actually trying to make, are are you just being an idiot for the sake of it??

But Weghorst, Fred and Maguire are brilliant?

I think your views on players is off skew with most of the support, and the manager.

Dave's not perfect and he needs to agree a pay cut but do Utd really want to be going into the summer looking at buying a 50-70m keeper?

Not sure you really pin it on the keeper when you give an opponent a free header from 8 yards out, especially when he's one of their main danger men who's notorious for being good in the air.

He's the last line of defence not the first the set piece was poorly defended and De Gea maybe with his reflexes could have kept it out but the defenders should not be allowing him a free header like that.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back