David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

On neither goal did I think he should have saved that. He actually made a few brilliant saves. Raphina looked absolutely shocked at one of them.

His kicking was terrible. United we lucky not to concede from one attempted pass/clearance.

The only thing I'd say on his long kicking was the conditions were very tough big swirling wind probably made it hard to find the right range but his short passing was also dreadful.

It is something he's never going to fix I think it's maybe even a stretch to say he's average with his feet for a premier league keeper I think it's probably more fair to say it's poor. It becomes a problem when teams press as his passes take to long to go out to the defenders who are then under more pressure and his long kicking isn't great so we rarely retain possession that way.

I wonder if the lack of news over that new deal maybe makes you think Ten Hag has seen enough and he'll be off in the summer.

I thought his passing had improved over the season to be honest, maybe it was just an off night

I thought his passing had improved over the season to be honest, maybe it was just an off night

I'd say it improved from crap to average mainly because we massively reduced the amount we play from the back after the first few games and started kicking a bit longer.

Utd need to be better at keeping the ball and that starts with the keeper.

Unless you can find a keeper who stops as many goals as Dave, it'd be counter productive to get rid of him. He wins us points.

Yeah I wouldn't be moving Dave anywhere at the moment. It isn't a position we need to spend money on. Let's focus on a CM to partner Casemiro and a striker. (Or two)

We need RB (CB if Maguire goes) CM and strikers.

After that RW, LB, then keeper.

DDG I think has saved us many points this season, way down the list.

Unless you can find a keeper who stops as many goals as Dave, it'd be counter productive to get rid of him. He wins us points.
Yep and that’s the key thing for a keeper - winning points. I always found it ridiculous there was ever a debate between Henderson and DDG. Henderson maybe better with his feet but there is no contest in terms of actual goalkeeping ability in saving goals.

Bringing in another keeper is definitely not a priority in the short term.

You might be interested to hear that De Gea is ranked 17/20 for goals prevented this season according to the stats he's conceded 5 more goals than he should have. This is calculated by the numbers of goals conceded measured against teams expected goals so it's not perfect if players are slamming worldie goals past you with low Xg your numbers will look bad but I'm not sure that is the case.

Last season De Gea ranked 4th but his stats were basically he let in 57 and the Xg was about 57. Season before he was 11th with -4 for goal prevention

This idea that he bails us out I think is a myth keepers are there to make saves and he makes saves to be a top keeper I think you need to make the saves and do all the other bits as well.

You might be interested to hear that De Gea is ranked 17/20 for goals prevented this season according to the stats he's conceded 5 more goals than he should have. This is calculated by the numbers of goals conceded measured against teams expected goals so it's not perfect if players are slamming worldie goals past you with low Xg your numbers will look bad but I'm not sure that is the case.

Last season De Gea ranked 4th but his stats were basically he let in 57 and the Xg was about 57. Season before he was 11th with -4 for goal prevention

This idea that he bails us out I think is a myth keepers are there to make saves and he makes saves to be a top keeper I think you need to make the saves and do all the other bits as well.
So he should be sold, is that what you are saying?

I think he could make himself bigger or close a striker down quicker than he currently does, as I don't think preventing goals is just about shot-stopping. I'm not saying he should be sold, yet, as there are clearly other areas of the squad that are a priority, however, we do need a keeper with stature and command of his area, who is good with 1-on-1s, with the ball at his feet, quick, and agile.

Well I think they should be very cautious about giving him another contract on big money.

We might have to get by with him next year but if he still expects to be earning mega wages then let move him on.

I just think with where the team is going De Gea is a problem, we've covered up that problem this season but we need to make signings that turn us into a 90 point plus team next year if we want to win the title and goalkeeper to me is still uncertain.

You've been a supporter of Maguire over the years, how you can say he is worth keeping but De Gea isn't is beyond me.

You've been a supporter of Maguire over the years, how can say he is worth keeping but De Gea isn't is beyond me.
Interesting you should mention that as I don’t think Maguire is very good with his feet either.

You've been a supporter of Maguire over the years, how you can say he is worth keeping but De Gea isn't is beyond me.

If that is aimed at me where have I said that we should keep Maguire this season?

It is pretty clear that Ten Hag doesn’t see him as a starter so I’ve been pretty clear that I think the club should sell him.

His inability to command the penalty could be an issue going forward, and the reason why I would look to replace in the summer or next summer.

His inability to command the penalty could be an issue going forward, and the reason why I would look to replace in the summer or next summer.
Disagree. He's good for a few seasons yet. Whilst he has those amazing reflexes he'll save us more points than he costs us.

Would have to be a spectacular player to better him. Can you name one who's free?

Disagree. He's good for a few seasons yet. Whilst he has those amazing reflexes he'll save us more points than he costs us.

Would have to be a spectacular player to better him. Can you name one who's free?

If the club has the money go and see how much AC Milan want for Mike Maignan.

Teams are hammering us on set pieces because De Gea can’t come off him line.

He has been a noble servant during a bad period for the club but it is time to part ways and to look for a new keeper. In the modern game being a good shot stopper just isn’t enough you have to be the whole package at the top sides.

I will say today hick kicking was better than it usual is.

I’ve been a keen defender/admirer of De Gea over the years but United should be looking for a replacement in the summer. He doesn’t breed confidence.

Take the contract offer off the table.

A new keeper is now a must he just isn’t good enough and like the centre forward spot we can’t keep ignoring it.

At fault for all 3 goals.

Hospital pass for the first
Didnt move his feet quick enough for the second
Who knows what he was playing at on the third

1/10

Didn't see the game, but by all accounts Dave had a horror show of a night.

Still think a new GK is way down our list of priorities.

The expression on his face last night; he has the look of a goalkeeper that feels lost, knowing that his major quality is no longer sufficient in the modern game, but he valiantly tries anyway, and is ultimately unsuccessful.

Didn't see the game, but by all accounts Dave had a horror show of a night.

Still think a new GK is way down our list of priorities.
Not necessarily, as good teams are always built 'from the back'. We need a solid foundation of a quality GK and back four, as we cannot keep giving goals away as we have this season.

Seems to be worse with Maguire/Lindelof in front of him
We cannot play out from the back with De Gea, Maguire and Lindelof - they are all not that great with the ball at their feet. I would say Lindelof is probably the best of the three. But we have to adapt when we do have injuries, sometimes it is best just to go long at times.

We are much better when you’ve got Shaw and Martinez back there, they are both very good with the ball and are able to manipulate the ball better.

Was just a horror show last night and no-one was beyond blame but De Gea was clearly the main culprit.

It is certainly worse with the two centre backs we played last night but it has also been an issue in games where Varane or Martinez play.

Just think it's time to stop making excuses for him enough is enough the club needs a new keeper and I dare say it looks to me like De Gea could benefit from a fresh start.

If the Sheikh comes in throwing money around, then yes I agree.

But he is generally good at keeping goal. So CB, RB, CM, CF and still RW are more important for me.

We're just not scoring enough goals.

He will likely be getting massive wages on a 2-3 year deal.

You can find a better keeper for half the wages who might cost you a transfer fee.

I just think it's time this guy was changed he's been here a long time and a fresh start is needed.

Utd have got to be ready to pounce and snap up the next top emerging keeper when he's available.

I don't watch enough European football to tell you who that guy is but Utd have got to land him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back