Super Cup 0

Previous Seasons
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
David de Gea | Match Discussion thread 2013/14
David de Gea | Match Performance Thread

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Leicester City - 26th August 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Stoke City 2-2 Manchester United - 9th September 2017

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Everton - 17th September 2017

Top performance.

He was there when we needed him but don't think he did anything spectacular 2 one vs ones there were close to him and a decent save late on after a shot from distance but he did what you would expect the keeper to do.

I sometimes feel like his performance when he makes one or two saves get over hyped we all know he's capable of making world class saves like he did vs Stoke but yesterday were pretty basic saves in my opinion.

Champions League: CSKA Moscow v Manchester United - 27th September 2017

He was there when we needed him but don't think he did anything spectacular 2 one vs ones there were close to him and a decent save late on after a shot from distance but he did what you would expect the keeper to do.

I sometimes feel like his performance when he makes one or two saves get over hyped we all know he's capable of making world class saves like he did vs Stoke but yesterday were pretty basic saves in my opinion.

Basic saves? The guy had nothing to do for most of the game then pulled off 2 stunning saves out of nowhere. World Class.

Joe Hart would have been napping, bored, thinking how much he will earn for his next Head and Shoulders ad and have let the 2 of them in!

Basic saves? The guy had nothing to do for most of the game then pulled off 2 stunning saves out of nowhere. World Class.

Joe Hart would have been napping, bored, thinking how much he will earn for his next Head and Shoulders ad and have let the 2 of them in!

You know my original post was about the Everton game where their attackers hit 2 shots pretty much straight at him?

I'm happy to praise Dave when he does something amazing but I feel sometimes it's made out he's rescued us from a defeat when he makes a fairly basic save you'd expect keepers to make.

My point was more whenever he seems to make a save it's reported as him bailing us out when a lot of the time he's just doing his job.

I wouldn't change him for anyone

Premier League: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United - 14th October 2017

That save was outstanding. Cementing his place as the best keeper in the league. I honestly think most of the keepers in the league don't sort their feet quickly enough to make that save.

100% agree with that. I love how quickly he was up after the save as well. Even before Jones had cleared it he was ready.

I think every superlative you can list would understate that save, it was absolutely unbelievable. Pretty sure every keeper in the land would have been beaten by that but De Gea is a genius with his feet, like Schmeichel was. We are truly blessed to have him.

Premier League: Arsenal v Manchester United - 2nd December 2017

Oh my!

14 saves in one game a record for a PL keeper this season.

Didn’t even get man of the match haha.

He covered up a terrible defensive performance by Utd.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Huddersfield Town - 3rd February 2018

300th appearance for the club.

15th clean sheet of the season, 3 and 5 ahead of Courtois and Ederson respectively.

He’s had to earn almost all of them yesterday was his first game in a while where he’s not had anything to do.

He’s had to earn almost all of them yesterday was his first game in a while where he’s not had anything to do.

Not true.

Clean Sheets

West Ham
Shots 9
Shots on target 1

Swansea
Shots 5
Shots on target 0

Leicester
Shots 11
Shots on target 4

Everton
Shots 7
Shots on target 3

Southampton
Shots 14
Shots on target 4

Crystal Palace
Shots 6
Shots on target 1

Liverpool
Shots 19
Shots on target 5

Spurs
Shots 13
Shots on target 4

Brighton
Shots 8
Shots on target 2

Bournemouth
Shots 14
Shots on target 7

Southampton
Shots 8
Shots on target 3

Everton
Shots 12
Shots on target 0

Stoke
Shots 11
Shots on target 5

Burnley
Shots 14
Shots on target 3

Huddersfield
Shots 4
Shots on target 0

Average
Shots 10
Shots on target 2.8

Name Games Saves

Fabianski 26 82
Pickford 26 78
De Gea 26 75
Ryan 26. 73
Schmechel 26 71

Loris 24 43
Courtious 24 39
Ederson 26 39

For a keeper at a top club De Gea is making a lot of saves and even with your stats in games where he’s kept a clean sheet only 3 of 15 games have been games with zero shots on goal so as I said he’s had to earn almost all of them. Compare to the other top keepers he’s making almost double the number of saves per game.

Or in 5 of the 15 games opposition teams have had no more than one shot on target. His involvement has been minimal in a third of the games where he has kept a clean sheet. Oopposition teams will have shots on target: City face an average of 2.28 shots on target per game; Liverpool 2.68; Chelsea 2.68; Spurs 3.04; Arsenal 3.56. Expecting teams to have 0 shots on target is unrealistic.

He has made stunning saves and has won United points this season, but the thought that he is covering cracks is exaggerated. I agree that the number of saves stat is high. Including games where United have conceded, the average shots on target per game is 4.16. The display against Spurs is the perfect example as to why the stat is high.

I think the worldie saves he makes on a regular basis by this point in the season must be worth at least 5 or 6 goals he's making saves that other keepers simply don't make and it's the reason why potentially we're looking at a 4th year out of 5 for player of the year for him.

I don't think Utd are a good side defensively not just because of the defence it's also because of the way the midfield also gets setup a lot of the time they aren't protecting the defence and allowing way to many runners from midfield to not be tracked.

My original point was in the past Utd keepers could basically spend the game leaning on the post Van Der Sar used to do little shuttle runs across the box to stop himself freezing his balls off because with the team he had in front of him the ball rarely came near his goal.

If you play fantasy football this season De Gea despite being the most expensive keeper is almost a must have because of the number of saves he makes which pick him up extra points on top of his clean sheet and usually bonus points, no other keeper is really doing that apart from the Burnley keeper but it's almost to be expected from him due to the way Burnley play.

I don't think Utd are a good side defensively not just because of the defence it's also because of the way the midfield also gets setup a lot of the time they aren't protecting the defence and allowing way to many runners from midfield to not be tracked.

So if our midfield are not protecting the back 4, they are certainly not linking up with attack really either. What are they doing? Is this down to personnel, or is it Jose style, or is it the 4-2-3-1 that seems not to work with us with Pogba? Does the midlfield need to be 2 DM's and Pogba plays No.10? Something clearly isn't clicking somewhere and hasn't been for a number of years now. We have been quite disjointed since SAF left.

So if our midfield are not protecting the back 4, they are certainly not linking up with attack really either. What are they doing? Is this down to personnel, or is it Jose style, or is it the 4-2-3-1 that seems not to work with us with Pogba? Does the midlfield need to be 2 DM's and Pogba plays No.10? Something clearly isn't clicking somewhere and hasn't been for a number of years now. We have been quite disjointed since SAF left.

Mate that's what happens when you have Maouroneeeee Fellani charging forward like a headless chicken haha I think he thought Herrera would have had a far better season after last year but that hasn't happened, at the start of the season I was expecting to see Herrera in a midfield 3 in the big games but obviously has not materialized, this summer I can see Fellani going (hopefully), Herrera may be touch and go and Carrick, I think he will spend most of his money sorting out the midfield so we can play with a 3 in the big games so we have a lot more balance and control in there.

In my honest opinion not a lot in big games it's been so easy to get in behind our midfield and even weaker teams have managed it but I think that's partly down to the system we are playing. With the personel we've got it seems obvious to most of us that we'd be a better side with a midfield 3 but this season we've often only had 2 CMs to pick from.

Pogba has missed a big chunk of the season as has Fellaini and Carrick has barely featured at all because of his heart problem which had given McTominay his chance which to be fair to the lad he has taken. Carrick can't really be relied on at his age and Fellaini is out again so unless he plays all 3 of his fit first team midifelders every week he can't really rotate and keep it fresh, plus the squad has a lot of attacking players who he needs to keep happy.

The form of Lingard now means it's 6 attacking players (plus Zlatan) for 3 or 4 positions if we play a midfield 3 that means 3 of these attacking players are on the bench in every game and with Sanchez & Lukaku nailed on starters for almost every game it's going to be tough to keep everyone happy. There's also the issue that none of them have been consistent they all have short bursts of form none of them are having a Salah or Sterling type season that makes them undroppable.

I think if we want to play Pogba in big games we have to sacrifice the number 10 position and play Herrera in the midfield to give the team more protection and hopefully keep possession a bit better but my worry is playing that way against good sides can leave Lukaku very isolated if the wide forwards get pinned back by opposition full backs.

Agree with that mate, as good as Jesse has been, he for me is probably the one who misses out at the moment, that means playing Sanchez wide right, interesting comments from Jose yesterday regarding his attack, saying he s happy with what we have, thought he would want a RW but maybe he sees Sanchez playing there long term.

Maybe but he's played 2 games now, both left. I thought dropping Martial this weekend was harsh as he has been playing well and scoring. Be interesting how its gonna pan out over the next few games with where he plays Sanchez.

We've gone a bit off topic here lads but I think it'll be interesting to see what Mourinho does I don't think Pogba was "dropped" on Saturday I think Mourinho used the game against Huddersfield to give McTominay a start in the PL because of the injuries he probably needs him and it was probably better for him to get start start alongside Matic than Pogba. He knows Matic will look after the youngster whereas Pogba because of the way he plays will likely leave him exposed in the middle.

I think if we go to the 3 man midfield it will help protect our defence which will help reduce DDG's work load and not having a number 10 may actually create space for the wide fowards to move into as there's 1 less body in there to get in the way.

I think the worldie saves he makes on a regular basis by this point in the season must be worth at least 5 or 6 goals he's making saves that other keepers simply don't make and it's the reason why potentially we're looking at a 4th year out of 5 for player of the year for him.

See, I don't think he has made worldie saves on a regular basis. He has made stunning saves, but the majority have been bog standard that I'd expect most goalkeepers to make.

I suspect he will be down the pecking order for player of the season.

Mate that's what happens when you have Maouroneeeee Fellani charging forward like a headless chicken haha I think he thought Herrera would have had a far better season after last year but that hasn't happened, at the start of the season I was expecting to see Herrera in a midfield 3 in the big games but obviously has not materialized, this summer I can see Fellani going (hopefully), Herrera may be touch and go and Carrick, I think he will spend most of his money sorting out the midfield so we can play with a 3 in the big games so we have a lot more balance and control in there.

Fellaini has been injured for large parts of the season.

(I have moved the De Gea to Madrid posts to an appropriate thread)

See, I don't think he has made worldie saves on a regular basis. He has made stunning saves, but the majority have been bog standard that I'd expect most goalkeepers to make.

I suspect he will be down the pecking order for player of the season.

It’s a tricky one because he’s by far the most consistent player we have whereas others have had a couple of short bursts of brilliance especially the attackers. Matic started brilliantly but has tailed off, Pogba brilliant at times but missed a lot of games needs a big game vs a big team I think to stamp his mark on the season. He’s missed most of the big matches this season.

Defenders have all been in and out as the CB pairing seems to change every week and Valencia/Young have done alright at full back but not amazing.

Honestly think if they had the vote tomorrow De Gea would win it.

Champions League: Sevilla 0-0 Manchester United - 21st February 2018

Some save.

Wow, if Madrid choose Courtois over Dave the only reason will be because Dave doesn't want to go.

Wow, if Madrid choose Courtois over Dave the only reason will be because Dave doesn't want to go.

Whilst that’s a good save. Why does that Sevilla forward have so much space in our box?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back