Daniel James | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than that, he's ok :D

That is sort of the point there's a lot of weaknesses in his game that make you think we don't need him every week because you can only really play him in a game where the opponent presses you and leaves space which very few sides do against us because it would be suicide.

Chelsea did take that gamble as will City as they'll back their players to deal with it but yesterday he was a problem for Chelsea because there was open space for him to attack.

The issue yesterday wasn't really James it was another big game where Bruno had an off day as did Rashford and our set piece delivery was really poor. Put those 3 things togethere and it's hard for Utd to really create any chances. Generally speaking our best moment in the game all had James at the heart of them.

However, against Palace who basically defend with 11 men I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting XI as that's not a game for him.

Think he was our best attacking player today. Was in the side ahead of Martial on merit today. Though says more about Martial than James possibly. Recent form could have him above Greenwood in the pecking order. Be interesting to see if he can maintain a place when Cavani is back.

I agree with Neville in the game he's a useful player to have in the squad as a 5th or 6th option.
Yeah agree with that, thought he had a really good game. Also I couldn’t help wonder if Cavani was playing his cross which Greenwood was close to, would have been the opening goal. Easy to say in hindsight but I have no doubts Cavani would have anticipated the cross and would have at least got a touch on goal.

He is in good form and is scoring a few goals so definitely worthy of a place at the moment. Wouldn’t start him against Palace though as no doubt they’ll park the bus.

He was awful. His decision making is poor and his quality is worse.

Yep we need to start next season in a position where he’s nowhere near our first team.

Nice guy tries his best but quality is missing and should be sold in the summer

His problem is he cant actually run with the ball, he needs to lump it and chase. You would think he could score goals on the counter similar to Rashford's. getting in behind the defence and on the end of a slick pass but he lacks the technical ability for that.
His threat is just too easy to neutralise. We cannot afford to waste time with James, he is not and never will be good enough for a team who's aspirations is to be consistent challengers/winners of the PL and CL.
My January post. He is shite! simple as that.

" I really do believe we need a right winger. Chasing Sancho may prove fruitless, yet again.
If we look in the EPL presently, there are 2 that stick out , and would be available for the right price ( or even cash plus James ? ) Neto of Wolves and Raphina at Leeds. We definitely do need a shake up , on a major scale, otherwise we'll be playing also-rans for a few seasons to come ! "

" I really do believe we need a right winger. Chasing Sancho may prove fruitless, yet again.
If we look in the EPL presently, there are 2 that stick out , and would be available for the right price ( or even cash plus James ? ) Neto of Wolves and Raphina at Leeds. We definitely do need a shake up , on a major scale, otherwise we'll be playing also-rans for a few seasons to come ! "

Welcome Macariman.

I certainly think Leeds are interested in James not sure if Wolves would go for him not sure he fits their model but they are certainly two players who stand out from the mid table teams in England but both clubs will want big fees unless there are buyout clauses in contracts it will be tricky to move them.

Showed his class today.

Delivered that great cross for Cavani’s goal.

He’s absolutely pulled down Reguilon’s pants on the goal and shows the importance of going both ways as a wide man the defender when left one vs one with that space has no chance.
Just as well for young Mason , and all United fans , that Dan James was " unfit "
Gotta get rid of him quick. Ole's renowned for his loyalty, but DJ is pushing it too far !

Just as well for young Mason , and all United fans , that Dan James was " unfit "
Gotta get rid of him quick. Ole's renowned for his loyalty, but DJ is pushing it too far !

Ole is picking Greenwood over James every day of every week mate there's no loyalty to James.

James has only played when Ole has had to bring him in because of injuries/bans and to be fair to James he's been alright when he's played this season.

Ole has to manage Greenwood he's still a kid there will be times when he has to take him out of the firing line he let himself down earlier in the season on international duty and that seemed to rock him a bit his performances weren't up to scratch so he was taken out of the team.

Ole's then slowly put him back in and his performances have been getting better and better as the season has gone on.

I agree JSP, I think Ole has managed him well. He's been brilliant since Christmas.

Ole is picking Greenwood over James every day of every week mate there's no loyalty to James.

James has only played when Ole has had to bring him in because of injuries/bans and to be fair to James he's been alright when he's played this season.

Ole has to manage Greenwood he's still a kid there will be times when he has to take him out of the firing line he let himself down earlier in the season on international duty and that seemed to rock him a bit his performances weren't up to scratch so he was taken out of the team.

Ole's then slowly put him back in and his performances have been getting better and better as the season has gone on.
Yeah , but to answer my opinion, would u let a player who has no ability, whatsoever , wear a Utd shirt ? The lad shouldn't be playing EPL , let alone for us . Look there's players that r giving it there all , and there's other's whoever all , are nowhere near the grade.
We've bought a coupla young lads , who play that RW position, haven't seen much of them , but ,jeez , they must be far better than him !!!

James isn't that bad. He's not a world beater but I don't think he's a bad lad in the squad. He's had a few good performances of late. Was good in the games Vs City and Leeds.

5 goals and he's probably one of the lower earners in the squad.

He's similar to Lingard in that he's an easy one to attack.

You haven't seen much of the right wingers we bought in as Pelestri is on loan and Amad Diallo is 18 and looks very light weight. But yeah hopefully when they're ready they come in and push James down the pecking order.

Yeah , but to answer my opinion, would u let a player who has no ability, whatsoever , wear a Utd shirt ? The lad shouldn't be playing EPL , let alone for us . Look there's players that r giving it there all , and there's other's whoever all , are nowhere near the grade.
We've bought a coupla young lads , who play that RW position, haven't seen much of them , but ,jeez , they must be far better than him !!!

Your opinon is a bit ridiculous and over the top, Dan James is not Lionel Messi but he's also not some non league flop.

He's a young player who himself suffered a crisis of confidence last season but we've seen in plenty of games this season where he can impact the game and show off his talent. There's plenty of PL clubs who'd snap up Dan James tomorrow if Utd decided to sell him not the top teams but he'd walk into mid table sides on the EPL. I personally don't think he's ever going to make the grade at Utd and should be sold on this summer.

Ole sees Amad every day in training so he'll know if he's ready for first team football ahead of James and so far that opinion seems to be no this lad wasn't even getting a game at Atalanta the plan for both Pellistri and Amad was clearly to bed them in this season. My guess is we will only see Amad this season if Utd have secured their league position with a few games to go. Physically I don't think Amad looks ready to play PL football he needs to hit the gym and build up his strength as he'll just get pushed around to easily in this league.

Utd should not be in a position where James is starting games regularly but years of poor investment in the attacking areas of the pitch means we've probably had to play him a lot more than we hoped when we took a chance on him.

I don't think James is that bad, he's no starter but a good squad player. He also performs well for Wales, he's no mug.

Not to go all Liam Neeson but he's a player with a very particular set of skills.

The issue he has at Utd is those skills cannot be deployed in most games that we play because they require a very open end to end game so put in a team like Leeds he'd probably look a much better player.

My thing with him comes down to is it worth keeping him for the 10-20% of games where he could make an impact? Given the current options in the squad it probably is but over the next few windows Ole needs to add much more depth to his attacking options which will mean a player like James probably moves on as will Lingard & Mata.

If he could improve his final ball and decision making, he'd be a great asset.

If he could improve his final ball and decision making, he'd be a great asset.

I think there's a lot more than that he needs to tidy up on to be honest his close control isn't great he loses the ball a lot because of a poor touch.

I just don't see him ever getting to the level where you'd be happy to see him starting 5-10 games in a row he'll always be a bits and pieces player.

For now that is fine he didn't cost a bomb and he's probably on reasonable wages but as the squad hopefully gets stronger he'll become less and less important so I struggle to see him being here in the longer term. Pretty sure he'll still be a Utd player next season but the season after that I think he'll be getting moved on.

Dan James is literally at the bottom of my list of concerns. He's got a specific skillset that comes in handy in certain situations, and won't kick up a fuss while he's waiting for his next opportunity to come around. He's not on significant wages and isn't taking minutes from somebody else at this point.

Your opinon is a bit ridiculous and over the top, Dan James is not Lionel Messi but he's also not some non league flop.

He's a young player who himself suffered a crisis of confidence last season but we've seen in plenty of games this season where he can impact the game and show off his talent. There's plenty of PL clubs who'd snap up Dan James tomorrow if Utd decided to sell him not the top teams but he'd walk into mid table sides on the EPL. I personally don't think he's ever going to make the grade at Utd and should be sold on this summer.

Ole sees Amad every day in training so he'll know if he's ready for first team football ahead of James and so far that opinion seems to be no this lad wasn't even getting a game at Atalanta the plan for both Pellistri and Amad was clearly to bed them in this season. My guess is we will only see Amad this season if Utd have secured their league position with a few games to go. Physically I don't think Amad looks ready to play PL football he needs to hit the gym and build up his strength as he'll just get pushed around to easily in this league.

Utd should not be in a position where James is starting games regularly but years of poor investment in the attacking areas of the pitch means we've probably had to play him a lot more than we hoped when we took a chance on him.
Disagree mate , I've never seen James make an an impact on any game , after his 1st 3 for the club. To me , when he is on the pitch, we're playing with 10 men !

Disagree mate , I've never seen James make an an impact on any game , after his 1st 3 for the club. To me , when he is on the pitch, we're playing with 10 men !
You watched the Leeds match, right?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Overreaction much. I don’t think he’ll ever confess to being the best player in the squad or the most effective. On his day though he can do a job and you know he will always work hard and give 100% which has been criticism labelled at some of our better players in the past.

It’s a squad game and think he still has a role to play for now. He may end up moving on but think if he did leave he would do a very good job for another EPL team.

Overreaction much. I don’t think he’ll ever confess to being the best player in the squad or the most effective. On his day though he can do a job and you know he will always work hard and give 100% which has been criticism labelled at some of our better players in the past.

It’s a squad game and think he still has a role to play for now. He may end up moving on but think if he did leave he would do a very good job for another EPL team.
Perhaps Sheffield Utd. , next season !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back