Status
Not open for further replies.
West Brom - 20/10/2014

Intelligent finish.

[vine]https://vine.co/v/ObIg62AAP3b[/vine]

Lack of pace is an issue for me. In away fixtures, when the game is stretched, he is unable to cover ground and can be exposed.

He's no different Carrick pace wise, he had a thankless task with Herrera and Mata next to him. I thought he was pretty good and a good leader/organiser.

Think Carrick's longer legs meant he could cover more ground though at his peak, agree though if you can read the game well and be positionally good, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

He's no different Carrick pace wise, he had a thankless task with Herrera and Mata next to him. I thought he was pretty good and a good leader/organiser.

Yeah, I thought he was decent too. I should have said that in my post last night. He needs support in midfield - the structure of team is leaving the defence exposed.

Manchester City - 2/11/2014

BBC Sport - MOTD2 analysis: How Man City mindset gave Man Utd hope

Daley Blind was superb in United's midfield and showed a really calm head.

Another attribute you need when you are playing with 10 men is someone who is not worried about playing under pressure and Blind did that brilliantly at Etihad Stadium.

He did a great defensive job but rather than just whacking the ball out and clearing their lines until the next attack, he was trying to get them playing and taking a risk to try to build something for United to come forward.

_78705992_daleyblind'stouchesformanutdvmancity.jpg

I am a fan of Blind. He has settled really well and whilst he has looked exposed sometimes I suspect that is due to a lack of a partner to gel with. He looked to be getting an understanding with Herrera until he got injured. I like his work rate, how he always wants the ball and looks to build attacks from the back always on a positive note. Puts in a shift every game.

Daley Blind explains Manchester United role - Official Manchester United Website

In a recent interview with ManUtd.com, Blind said: "I think midfield is a good position for me and it's also where I can help the team the most.

"Maybe my qualities are better for that position but, if the trainer needs me for the left full-back position, then I will play there. It is no problem for me."

When asked to describe his playing style, he added: "I think I am a player who keeps the ball and helps the rest of the team. I'm somebody who tries to play the easy pass instead of the difficult option, but it's also there [in this area of my game] that I have to improve myself. I always try to do my best and do what the coach asks of me."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Leicester City - 31/1/2015

Fantastic. Answered GNev's criticism from earlier in the season really well with that assist for Van Persie.

I couldn't get the game to buffer on any streams today but I heard he was very good.

As someone who looks at stats, I had noticed that Carrick since his return wasn't making as many interceptions as usual. Looking at season stats right now here: Bad Request - and it's interesting to see how much more Blind is doing defensively than Carrick. More tackles and clearances and a lot more interceptions. Doing more in attack too according to the stats but may be due to time at left wing back. Stats aren't everything though but it was evident while watching too I thought, noticed a few occasions today where Rooney lost the ball and Blind almost instantly won it back. Had forgotten how good he can be in there as it had been a while, excellent reader of the game, good pressing game. Thought his work on the ball when pressed was also better than Carrick this season. Today's performance did a lot to soften the blow of losing Carrick. OK it was only Leicester but I thought it was a better performance from him than his previous DM performances. He looks settled and up to speed with the Prem.

Blind was class today, and rarely has a bad game for us. He has bags of energy and gives our defence that added confidence of security

Yeah excellent. Very intelligent footballer, always looks like he has time on the ball. He tried the ball over the top more often today which was good to see also.

The tempo of play was better with Blind as the holding midfielder. He was aggressive in defence and attack.

West Ham United - 8/2/2015

Top goal.

[vine]https://vine.co/v/OUi90jn5mwU[/vine]

He's scored the same number of league goals as Carrick has in the last 2.5 seasons.

Arsenal - 9/3/2015

Did he struggle against the tempo set by Arsenal's midfielders? Was his lack of pace exposed?

His passing and touch was sloppy. I think when you don't have the skill and pace of others you should at least do the basics right and he wasn't.

Tottenham Hotspur - 15/3/2015

Our best left back currently? No doubt Shaw will come good in time but right now Blind's surely first choice at left back. Lacks pace but covered a lot of ground, defended well and was a threat going forward. Townsend lasted 30 mins, Chadli didn't do any better really. Pace isn't everything for full backs... opposition full backs, Rose and Walker might have pace but were absolutely pants I thought, have seen both a fair bit and I genuinely think they're 2 of the worst around.

His best showing for a while. Intelligent performance. He linked well with Young and Fellaini. He should start the next game at left back, for sure.

Did well to win the penalty, only his lack of pace caused concern.

Aston Villa - 4/4/2015

He was very good. Top assist for the first goal and quality in final third was good. I thought he was the second best player behind Herrera.

His all-round footballing ability and intelligence allows him to fulfill several roles during a game to benefit of the team.

Yeah won a lot of 50/50s I noticed. Strong in the tackle. When he's played down the left he's put in some very good crosses, great pulled back cross today for the opener. Lack of pace doesn't seem to be a problem for him at left back. Wonder if City might go with Navas next week to try and beat him for pace.

I prefer him at LB to Luke Shaw as he works well with Young both offensively and defensively. Shaw so far when he has played, doesnt seem to take on the defender and cross from the by-line, something he did do at Southampton

I think this could work out quite well. Carrick probably has a couple of seasons left in him and blind would seem a natural replacement. Playing him at left back will hopefully keep him happy knowing ultimately he will take over from Carrick. At the same time we don't have to rush Shaw through. Yes it would seem like a lot of money to pay for someone who is not a regular but hopefully he will be in a couple of years minus the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back