Cristiano Ronaldo | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

I actually thought he had a pretty good game to be fair last night. He made a very clever run for the first goal and overall was much better than in recent games. Think he was trying to hard at the end to score so was snatching at chances.

He is very much second or third choice but he could still have an impact until January where I expect he will be let go if we can bring someone in.

I only saw about 60 minutes and I thought he was pretty poor against the weakest side in a europa league group. This lot are mid table in Cyprus so they're not a very good side and even they I think can handle him now. I think he's going through what Cavani went through with us last season all of a sudden the legs have totally gone and there's nothing he can do to get the acceleration back.

He will be livid with that miss towards the end, he must have thought that was the 700 up for club career goals.

I'd keep playing him in the europa league games but he shouldn't be starting games in the league.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Everton 1-2 Manchester United - 9th October 2022

700 club goals. Incredible achievement.

I think the team looked better before he came on but great that he’s got his goal and reached that landmark.

With Martial crocked again we are going to need Ronaldo to find some form.

He linked play well today and it was a tidy finish for his 700th goal

If he hadn't been waving his arms around complaining, he probably would have got back onside for Bruno's goal.

I'm still waiting for the interview where he's going to tell us why he skipped pre season and all those transfer stories were fake news?

Remember that?

If he hadn't been waving his arms around complaining, he probably would have got back onside for Bruno's goal.
Yup. His run and finish for the goal was reminiscent of his younger days, but it's stuff like this that does my head in.

There were numerous times in the second half on Sunday where he would get the ball, send it out wide and then just loaf about. Get yourself on to the CB in the CF position and make yourself available. What are you going to do with the ball outside the box?

‘fraid he does. He offers very little with and without the ball. United will struggle to score goals with Ronaldo as the focal point.

Nah there's life in the old dog yet, he'll be one of the stars at the upcoming World Cup, then score for fun in the 2nd half of this season.

I think he's done. He's struggling against very poor opponents to create chances for himself and he's lost all of his acceleration. There has been a noticeable decline from last season. Feels to me a bit like Cavani's second season with us you could just see he wasn't quite the same player.

Utd are a better side when he doesn't play and I don't see that changing through the rest of the season, the only problem is the other striker can't last more than 2-3 games before getting injured.

If there's a striker on the market in January like there was last season with Vlahovic then Utd have to go and get them. The lack of quality in that position is really holding us back going forward.

like Mbappe :p

I did read one of his (many) problems, is he doesn't like playing through the middle.

Yeah he wants to play where Rashford & Sancho both want to play which is off the left.

Bit like Rashford he doesn't seem to want to be a centre forward and I can understand that even Ronaldo early on in his career wanted that wide role as there is always more space to operate in when you start wide.

We need the guy who's going to do the ugly work right through the middle of the pitch and be an absolute killer in front of goal.

You just look at the difference Jesus has made to Arsenal going forward this season they look a totally different side to last year and I think it's all down to him. Even Firmino at Liverpool the wide boys were getting all the plaudits with the goals but he was a vital part of that front 3 and he gave them someone to play off. Martial I think does a bit of the Firmino stuff when he plays he just can't stay fit.

Utd have got to find a centre forward quickly.

There isn't a snowball's chance that our board would turn down a marketing dream like Mbappe, but he would be a disaster at United. And not what we need, at all.

There isn't a snowball's chance that our board would turn down a marketing dream like Mbappe, but he would be a disaster at United. And not what we need, at all.

Other things that are unlikely
1) The Glazers can find another £200m plus the £1m a week salary for Mbappe
2) Mbappe actually wanting to join Utd.

I imagine his agent is currently on the phone to Perez trying to see if they still fancy him.

Given how good Vicinious is for them I'm not sure they'd want to blow the entire budget on him.

Think so too. Other clubs watch the same matches we do, and I don't think there's going to be any serious clubs interested in Jan.

I bet you £1.50 he's still here when the January window closes even if Sporting Club are still in the Champions League.
Bit of a silly bet. Fancy a £20 bet for charity on the number of goals he scores for United after the World Cup?

It’s like playing with 10 men. The team would probably perform better with just 10 men. There’s a significant drop off in the team performance when Ronaldo starts. Ten Hag went up on my estimation when he replaced Ronaldo.

At least that phantom 11th man bothers to get his lazy arse back onside, unlike a certain someone. I mean, it's not his first day on the job. He has enough experience to know where the defenders are and how to time a run, yet time and time again, couldn't be bothered to take that extra step back onside before going. And then to have the audacity to throw his hands up and demand the ball when he knows he's offside, or to berate the winger for not playing him in just compounds the error.

I know he's lost more than a yard of pace and needs every advantage he can get, but even if he fools the assistant referee, VAR is going to catch him. Get back onside and go from there. ERTW$(#%R#$ITHGDSFIPGHQWETH

Bit of a silly bet. Fancy a £20 bet for charity on the number of goals he scores for United after the World Cup?

I do more than my fair share for charity already thanks.

And the reason I playfully suggested £1.50 and not say £500 I'll leave up to you to work out.

@Sideshow Bob I'll take the bet for charity. What we saying I get 15 or more in all comps you get the under. Money to winners charity of choice?

Oh I fully expect you to win Ronaldo looks like he's on his last legs but he could surprise us in February he looked the same and I can't see a charity bet get offered out and not see it go ahead.

Oh I fully expect you to win Ronaldo looks like he's on his last legs but he could surprise us in February he looked the same and I can't see a charity bet get offered out and not see it go ahead.

It must be tough being so wonderful :D

Meanwhile, back in the "we are so lucky to have Cristiano Ronaldo, and should try and enjoy every minute he remains with us" thread.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back