Cristiano Ronaldo | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

I mean yeah if you want to completely ignore that he's come up clutch for us and isn't scoring the second and third in easy winners then yeah it's irrelevant.

it's irrelevant becasue someone else would have been playing, it's a ridiculous thing to say we would have lost all those points if Ronaldo wasn't playing.

I'm not having a pop at Ronalso here, just saying it's nonsense to say we would be 13th if we hadn't signed Ronaldo.

You're right. Ronaldo has had no impact and our win loss ratio is exactly the same without because whatever player comes in manages the same job.

It's evident that the above isn't the case and Ronaldo has dragged us as far as he can with very little help from others.

Would we be 13th without Ronaldo of course not. Someone else may have managed to get in to double figures. (Greenwood is still our third top scorer on 6). Would we be further down the table. Of course. I think many have forgot how badly everyone else is playing and this highlights it.

Goal contributions (G+A) this season.

Ronaldo 24.
Bruno 22.
Greenwood 8.

Greenwood has been suspended for 3 months!

I'm terms of conversion rate. Ronaldo is at 21%. Cavani at 13%.

The best in the team. Fred at 25% haha

We will never know what the team would have done without Ronaldo this season but if we are assuming Cavani gets injured, Martial and Rashford continue their form from last season and Greenwood gets suspended in January we’d likely have been in a world of trouble without him.

Not saying he’s the way forward but with so much to be done Ten Hag might have to make a plan that works with Ronaldo next season while he builds the side into what it needs to be.

obviously that requires Ronaldo to be happy sticking around for 12 months and being part of that plan my guess is at his age he wants to be in sides challenging for trophies so that decision may be taken out of our hands.

We will never know what the team would have done without Ronaldo this season but if we are assuming Cavani gets injured, Martial and Rashford continue their form from last season and Greenwood gets suspended in January we’d likely have been in a world of trouble without him.

Not saying he’s the way forward but with so much to be done Ten Hag might have to make a plan that works with Ronaldo next season while he builds the side into what it needs to be.

obviously that requires Ronaldo to be happy sticking around for 12 months and being part of that plan my guess is at his age he wants to be in sides challenging for trophies so that decision may be taken out of our hands.
I agree, and i still believe Ronaldo will stay because no other team will pay so much for him. That will help ETH focus on the midfield, the right side (RW, RB) and CB

I agree, and i still believe Ronaldo will stay because no other team will pay so much for him. That will help ETH focus on the midfield, the right side (RW, RB) and CB

If Ronaldo wants to leave he’d likely leave on a free and he’d have to drop his wage demands at the next club.

The big question for Ten Hag is can you trust him to set the right example and play for the team or will we see the frustration boiling over after/in bad games. He’s gone very close to being sent off this season in a couple of games, he had a strop vs Brentford when subbed with the team winning, the incident with the fan at Goodson, storming down the tunnel after defeats.

That stuff has to stop but that stuff is what makes him who he is.

If Ronaldo wants to leave he’d likely leave on a free and he’d have to drop his wage demands at the next club.

The big question for Ten Hag is can you trust him to set the right example and play for the team or will we see the frustration boiling over after/in bad games. He’s gone very close to being sent off this season in a couple of games, he had a strop vs Brentford when subbed with the team winning, the incident with the fan at Goodson, storming down the tunnel after defeats.

That stuff has to stop but that stuff is what makes him who he is.
He will not drop his wage demands. If he really do it i will be very suprised. I think he deserve to be played in a fonctional team before we judge him. I want to see him in front of a workaolic mid 3 with 2 pacy winger beside him. I'm sure he will bang 30 goals or more, easily.

Imagine the grief Maguire would've got if we'd played the season without a Keeper. We'd already be relegated and it would all be his fault.

Brilliant performance after a tragic week. Hindsight obviously but 100% should have taken the penalty.

Playing well took his goal very well and unlucky not to have a second just offside

Man Utd’s last nine goals:

⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Fred
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo

Sancho's goal against City on the 6th of March was the last time one of our other attacking players managed a goal.

Man Utd’s last nine goals:

⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Fred
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo
⚽️ Cristiano Ronaldo

Sancho's goal against City on the 6th of March was the last time one of our other attacking players managed a goal.
That's pretty shocking.

Cannot wait for this season to end.

Yeah think he played way to many games in the middle and it took it's toll on him but as the schedule has become a bit kinder he's come back to his best.

Best thing in the last few months has been he's cut out all the arm swinging and sulking he's looked like a real leader of the team and being more of a team player.

Yeah think he played way to many games in the middle and it took it's toll on him but as the schedule has become a bit kinder he's come back to his best.

Best thing in the last few months has been he's cut out all the arm swinging and sulking he's looked like a real leader of the team and being more of a team player.
I agree. He probably started the season like "what is this stupid level, i'm CR7" to "Ok, they average at best, so let's work hard for it". Anyway, he saved us. With Cavani constantly injured, we will have been way below with Martial upfront. Atleast we got an European cup spot thanks to him.

I agree. He probably started the season like "what is this stupid level, i'm CR7" to "Ok, they average at best, so let's work hard for it". Anyway, he saved us. With Cavani constantly injured, we will have been way below with Martial upfront. Atleast we got an European cup spot thanks to him.

Think it just took him a bit of time to work out how to play with this team and same for the team to adjust to play with him.

He was certainly pushed to hard in that first part of the season where he also had important international matches to get to the world cup certainly looked like there was some burn out in the middle of the season. Think the fact we were chasing results a lot of the time because we got off to a bad start in the Champions League group and dropping points in the league meant they gambled with him and the lack of fitness from the other strikers probably played into that as well.

Great example is that Boro game in the cup Ronaldo should not be starting that match let alone playing 120 minutes in it.

He's come good at the end but he's come good when there's nothing left to play for but I think in recent weeks he's shown the sort of leadership you want from him and it's certainly something for ETH to consider for next season.

Roy Keane and Carragher were sort of saying after the game there's so much to sort out this summer having a guy you know gets you 20-25 goals next season even if it is only for 1 year is probably something you can work with.

Think it just took him a bit of time to work out how to play with this team and same for the team to adjust to play with him.

He was certainly pushed to hard in that first part of the season where he also had important international matches to get to the world cup certainly looked like there was some burn out in the middle of the season. Think the fact we were chasing results a lot of the time because we got off to a bad start in the Champions League group and dropping points in the league meant they gambled with him and the lack of fitness from the other strikers probably played into that as well.

Great example is that Boro game in the cup Ronaldo should not be starting that match let alone playing 120 minutes in it.

He's come good at the end but he's come good when there's nothing left to play for but I think in recent weeks he's shown the sort of leadership you want from him and it's certainly something for ETH to consider for next season.

Roy Keane and Carragher were sort of saying after the game there's so much to sort out this summer having a guy you know gets you 20-25 goals next season even if it is only for 1 year is probably something you can work with.
Yes, i agree with Roy and Carra, just keep him for the next season and fix the others hole in the team. A striker that get you 20, 25 will cost too much of the budget ETH will get. Let get a RB and 2 CM first, add a RW and a CB if you can and we can start playing.

If he's happy to stay, and not strop when subbed then defo keep him. He still knows where the goal is.

If he's happy to stay, and not strop when subbed then defo keep him. He still knows where the goal is.
He’s always had the penchant for being stroppy when subbed - that’s just how much he wants to play and effect games.

I think 100% we have to keep him for next year. We still should bring in a striker in the summer even if we do keep him. I think someone like Nunez may do the job - obviously he’s the main man for Benfica right now but the opportunity to learn from Ronaldo could be a selling point.

Rangnick has suggested today that he's going to stay. That may be a mistake for Ten Hag. There's no denying his still got the ability but he doesn't press and Ten Hag needs to implement that straight away.

Ragnick was saying Ronaldo doesn't like that role up on his own and they might play 2.

Also, Ronaldo denied saying he was staying.

Think it's right to say he doesn't like it which is why he's pushed Bruno a bit higher up almost playing them as a front 2 which is basically how he played towards the end at Madrid and at Juventus.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back