Cristiano Ronaldo | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

I was going to make a point last night that I hope Ole doesn’t just leave Ronaldo on in games even if he’s having a shocker because of who he is. But I guess it was correct last night.

Such a shame Oy greedy b*llocks over here is such a mouthful
Thought the discussion was about CR, not Greenwood. Don't know what's happening with that lad, is he overawed? Nervous?
Shame at such a young age but hopefully he will learn loads from the Master himself

Thought the discussion was about CR, not Greenwood. Don't know what's happening with that lad, is he overawed? Nervous?
Shame at such a young age but hopefully he will learn loads from the Master himself

He'll be reet, he just at a funny age, he's 20 today actually, one day in training he'll destroy a couple of defenders for pace and smash one in from 30 yards(either foot), then he'll try the same the following day and he'll feel as though he's running in treacle and when he does get a shot in it will go out for a throw-in. Be back to normal soon.

Think he's just trying to be the hero a bit to often is Greenwood he backs his shooting which is incredibly good off both feet but he still puts in the shift defensively so nothing to worry about for me. Times he does need to just slow it down a little bit rather than go for goal every single time but that will come with experience.

As for Ronaldo I think we've seen what we expect the man is a goal machine but not much else how we accomodate that within the team will be tricky but with Cavani also around I think we need Ole to be brave and be prepared to take Ronaldo off when it gets past 60 minutes in some games. We moved him to the wing on Wednesday just to keep him on the pitch not really sure how that worked but it's not a solution.

Hands up I wasn't overly fussed at the thought of Ronaldo going to City(if that was really an option) because I didn't think he'd be able to hack it in the Premier League anymore, early days but there's wrong and then there's WRONG.

If he and Cavani both stay fit and Ole rotates them at the right times(that's Ole's challenge) to keep them both fit and motivated can now see Ronaldo finishing top scorer in the PL and Cavani not that far behind him.

Voted Premier League player of the month for September.

Added another 3 to his all time international record tonight.

Bruno also got on the scoresheet and got an assist.

Ronaldo is just a once in a generation player, no-one is topping his international record for a long long time - if ever. And I doubt he will be stopping any time soon, can still see him playing for Portugal at 40.

Just doing his thing I guess.

Huge run of games coming lets hope he can deliver the goods in these games as these are the matches where your big stars need to be stepping up and making the difference.

Ronaldo is just a once in a generation player, no-one is topping his international record for a long long time - if ever. And I doubt he will be stopping any time soon, can still see him playing for Portugal at 40.
Oh, at 40, that seems impossible for his position. It's not like he's a goalkeeper :)
As for the record, I completely agree with you.

Oh, at 40, that seems impossible for his position. It's not like he's a goalkeeper :)
As for the record, I completely agree with you.
He's not just any ordinary player though. He looks after himself, is in extremely good condition and adapts his game to deal with the fact he is ageing. I think he'll play at a high level beyond 40. Giggs did. Now ok Giggs retired from international football but I think Ronaldo is on another level altogether. Ronaldo is the Brady of soccer.

Premier League: Leicester City v Manchester United - 16th October 2021

Poor again. He’s being wrongly utilised.

Should never have signed him. Went against everything they told us they were doing.

He certainly wasn’t part of the plan a panic signing to stop him joining City.

I don’t think Utd can play this way with him in the team he needs a Rooney type near him that can buzz around and do the hard work that he can’t do and Bruno isn’t that.

He certainly wasn’t part of the plan a panic signing to stop him joining City.

I don’t think Utd can play this way with him in the team he needs a Rooney type near him that can buzz around and do the hard work that he can’t do and Bruno isn’t that.
To accommodate Ronaldo we would need a second person up front. That would mean either dropping Bruno or changing formation

To accommodate Ronaldo we would need a second person up front. That would mean either dropping Bruno or changing formation

Yep Leicester played 3-4-1-2 today in theory Utd could play that but it means only one of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Martial/Cavani could play. That’s a lot of unhappy campers on your bench.

They played that way because Vardy can’t do the hard running anymore so having Iheanacho up there helps him as he’s sharing the load. Gets Maddison in his best position as well.

He offers little else to the team if he’s not scoring goals. He’s now a bit like Hernandez with inferior work rate. His ability to link play is poor and the quality of his first touch is inconsistent. He is no longer suited to a counter attacking tactic.

He offers little else to the team if he’s not scoring goals. He’s now a bit like Hernandez with inferior work rate. His ability to link play is poor and the quality of his first touch is inconsistent. He is no longer suited to a counter attacking tactic.
Unfortunately the team aren't creating a lot of chances for him though so he's on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

Champions League: Man Utd 3-2 Atalanta

Today is why you play him and keep him on the pitch. Also absolutely busted a gut in that second half.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last night he was a lot better that he'd been in the last few games and he obvious had his hero moment but you do need more from your centre forward.

He'll be dissapointing with the one on one he missed as well took it beatifully just didn't get the accuracy on the finish and someone needs to have a word on free kicks.

That Zapata that came on is nowhere near the ability of Ronaldo but his movement caused us loads of problems when he came on.

Last night he was a lot better that he'd been in the last few games and he obvious had his hero moment but you do need more from your centre forward.

He'll be dissapointing with the one on one he missed as well took it beatifully just didn't get the accuracy on the finish and someone needs to have a word on free kicks.

That Zapata that came on is nowhere near the ability of Ronaldo but his movement caused us loads of problems when he came on.

He worked his tripe off last night from the first minute to the last which was nice to see, he won't be able to keep it up but it's nice to know when the must win games come around he can still do it.

Champions League: Man Utd 3-2 Atalanta

Today is why you play him and keep him on the pitch. Also absolutely busted a gut in that second half.
Funnily enough my brother, huge huge United fan, was texting me moments before asking why he was still on the pitch. I said because he scores big goals. And with that Ronaldo stepped up.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-3 Manchester United - 30th October 2021

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-3 Manchester United - 30th October 2021

The pass is superb, the movement is fantastic and the finish is sublime.

Best all round performance since he came back?

Quite possibly. He worked harder today I thought? Got more involved in the build up play too.

Dunno think his work rate has been fine but having someone else with him made a big difference he can’t play on his own up top.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back