Cristiano Ronaldo | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United - 11th September 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What as day Stretford end 3104 absolutely bouncing

Ronaldo really is on another planet

Was pretty much written in the stars he would grab a goal yesterday. Also he showed he still has a little turn or pace on the second goal.

Whaadaaaa player!

That second goal is sensational. The GK may feel he could have done better but what a touch and finish.

Still feels weird seeing the 'Cristiano Ronaldo Match Discussion thread' title.

Couldn't have gone much better.

Loved the first goal he was the only player in that box thinking the keeper might spill the ball that is why he’s always there to tap them in.

Having him in the team is going to be incredible for all our young players. With Ronaldo out there, we were a different beast. Ronaldo is a big game player and refuses to hide. Having a player in your team who can produce magic will just let everyone play without fear. And we will see the best out of Pogba and Sancho.

Lee Grant: "Friday night at the hotel, as you know, when you finish your meal, you can have apple crumble, custard or a brownie, etc., well, no player touched it. Everyone was looking at Cristiano's plate.”

He said after the game he's already sat and spoke to the players from what has come out it was basically him saying things are going to change here now we expect the best and nothing else will be tolerated.

I know Maguire wears the armband but there's no doubt who the guy setting the standard in the dressing room will be going forward.

Should also be noted that there was a protest against Ronaldo organised by a womens rights group on Saturday which is an uneasy cloud still hanging over him which will now be hanging over the club.

Champions League: Young Boys 2-1 Manchester United - 14th September 2021

Played well up to the red card after than he was so isolated as Utd were pinned back.

Tried to win a penalty but the ref wasn’t buying it.

Even the best strikers in their prime would have struggled with that sort of setup in the second half.

I think he will be invaluable when we're facing a low block (like his 3 goals so far suggest), but as @jsp says, that second half was not his forte. Somebody like Greenwood would've been better equipped to chase and run in behind.

I think he will be invaluable when we're facing a low block (like his 3 goals so far suggest), but as @jsp says, that second half was not his forte. Somebody like Greenwood would've been better equipped to chase and run in behind.

Think even he would have struggle they weren’t passed into channels it was hacked clearances always two vs one like I said any striker will struggle to make something from that. Whoever went up top when we were down to 10 men needed a player who was able to stay close and support him to work together and get the ball in their half.

Where Greenwood might have stood a chance was being able to get on the ball and dribble it into their half something Ronaldo can no longer do.

That's one hell of a ball by Bruno. What was that people said about them not being able to play together?

I think we've seen exactly what we expected feed him the ball and he'll score plenty of goals but you won't get much else from him these days so the team needs to be setup to deal with that.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-2 Manchester United - 19th September 2021

Fantastic today West Ham couldn’t handle him and he should have won at least one penalty.

Might have been a tap in but again it’s anticipation to follow his shot in to make sure he’s going to be first to any rebound.

Scored one, should've had one or two more but for fantastic saves from Fabianski, plus two pens that were inexplicably not given. Probably should've squared it for Greenwood in the first half for a tap in. And yet, having said all that, it felt like we were looking for him too much. Plenty of balls jacked in his direction that he wasn't really going to win (Shaw in particular) instead of playing our football and working a better chance, or getting the ball to Ronaldo and then pausing to admire a job well done instead of getting alongside him in support.

Hopefully the longer they play together and the shock and awe wears off, it will look more natural and less forced.

Thought he was really good today. I missed a lot of the first half but he was really involved in the second half. Dropping deep, pulling out wide at times. He should have had at least 2 pens I thought and of course he scored. Again.

And yet, having said all that, it felt like we were looking for him too much. Plenty of balls jacked in his direction that he wasn't really going to win (Shaw in particular) instead of playing our football and working a better chance, or getting the ball to Ronaldo and then pausing to admire a job well done instead of getting alongside him in support.
I was thinking this too, we looked a little too eager to find Ronaldo everytime.

Have you seen these stats? All I keep reading from the ABU media is how Ronaldo's goals were scrappy and/or a tap-in. In addition to these stats (1st in every metric) Ronaldo also had the fastest sprint of the afternoon.

Ronaldo also had the fastest sprint of the afternoon.
People talk like he's slowed down. I don't think he has really. I mean OK perhaps he's lost a little but he's still really fast. He just knows now that he's got to manage his body and manage his workload that's all it is. To get through a full season and to still play a key role in key moments he knows he can't do what he used to.

He’d absolutely torch Martial in a sprint race he could moonwalk the last half and still beat him.

Champions League: Manchester United 2-1 Villarreal - 29th September 2021

I though he offered nothing all match, and then pops up and does that. I think matches that are fast and counter attacking like Villa and this one was for the most part, will pass him by. Once we had them pinned in and they were playing for the draw, he popped up and turned one point into three. That’s where he’ll be at his best.

Quick question amigos.
Do u ever wonder when The Man has the ball at his feet in the box with 3 defenders blocking his route to goal, what his teammates scream to make him aware of their availability?
Can't be Christiano surely, too many syllables.
Chris? CR? Or maybe just God?

Quick question amigos.
Do u ever wonder when The Man has the ball at his feet in the box with 3 defenders blocking his route to goal, what his teammates scream to make him aware of their availability?
Can't be Christiano surely, too many syllables.
Chris? CR? Or maybe just God?

Seven!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back