Cricket 2022

SuperRash

England playing the West Indies currently in the 1st Test - and it’s the same old top order collapse! Lees and Crawley as the new opening partnership lasted no time at all. Currently 115-5.

Not getting any easier watching this England Test team!

Currently 205-5(67.5) with Bairstow 72* and Foakes 41*

Bairstow coming in at no.6 to spare England having Stokes, Foakes and Woakes in the batting line-up.

Bairstow has been messed around by selectors for so long - shunted up and down the order and expected to always deliver the goods. Granted he’s not always been great but chuffed to see him doing well again.

I know he's in great form after scoring a career best 276 in his last match, but have Brathwaite and Campbell swapped roles, Brathwaite a run a ball 29 when at Test level he'd struggle to get 29 in a session normally at his best, and Campbell 14 from 32 balls when his entire Test Career he's been a slap bang 32 from 14 balls then out Man.

I know he's in great form after scoring a career best 276 in his last match, but have Brathwaite and Campbell swapped roles, Brathwaite a run a ball 29 when at Test level he'd struggle to get 29 in a session normally at his best, and Campbell 14 from 32 balls when his entire Test Career he's been a slap bang 32 from 14 balls then out Man.
Yep they’ve started well - we’ve managed to snaffle a wicket now but sheesh they gave us a tonk.

If only we had two other new ball bowlers *ahem*

Yep they’ve started well - we’ve managed to snaffle a wicket now but sheesh they gave us a tonk.

If only we had two other new ball bowlers *ahem*

Not watching it, but the selectors obviously thought with the Windies batting being so poor, and has been for years Anderson and Broad could put their feet up in preparation for the new season, but why they picked Woakes over Saqib Mahmood when for years and years Woakes has proved time and time again he doesn't take wickets away from home is a mystery, and the runs he may score down the order will never make up for it.

Still expect England to get a comfortable first innings lead, and you watch Woakes pick up a five-for.

Not watching it, but the selectors obviously thought with the Windies batting being so poor, and has been for years Anderson and Broad could put their feet up in preparation for the new season, but why they picked Woakes over Saqib Mahmood when for years and years Woakes has proved time and time again he doesn't take wickets away from home is a mystery, and the runs he may score down the order will never make up for it.

Still expect England to get a comfortable first innings lead, and you watch Woakes pick up a five-for.
Yeah not sure the ‘let’s look at other players’ narrative that was being spun for leaving Anderson and Broad out. Like you mentioned Woakes has been rubbish for years and Overton is meh. We do miss Robinson but to really try people out, we should have played one of Fisher or Mahmood.

128-4 now so we’ve fought back a little.

Yeah not sure the ‘let’s look at other players’ narrative that was being spun for leaving Anderson and Broad out. Like you mentioned Woakes has been rubbish for years and Overton is meh. We do miss Robinson but to really try people out, we should have played one of Fisher or Mahmood.

128-4 now so we’ve fought back a little.

Even for England the selection of Phil Jones, sorry Matthew Fisher was a strange one, he made his debut for Yorkshire in 2013, made his County Championship debut in 2015 and has only played 21 first-class matches, surely there must have been somebody more deserving of a call-up on the County circuit, guess Joe Root being a fellow Yorkie helped.

Just checked Saqib Mahmood's figures as well, he made his County Championship debut a year later than Fisher in 2016, and he's only played 4 more first-class matches than Fisher, that's surprised me, thought it would be double that at least.

It's not like the old days when quicks from Lancashire and Yorkshire would regularly play 20 County Championship games a season(before they got a look-in for England), and they'd still find time to work 16hrs a day down the pits :)

Delicately poised at stumps with the Windies on 202-4, wouldn't like to call it now, they'll either be bowled out for 240, or if Bonner digs in, and Holder and Da Silva are in the mood they could get a sizeable first innings lead.

Pretty uninspiring draw in the end but least we gave ourselves a sniff. Wood may have been a difference on that last day when Windies were floundering a little.

Next Test Robinson will be in for Wood and I hope Overton gets the chop.

Women are really struggling, 3 straight loses. Probably not going to retain the cup

Another draw in the West Indies having declared England just didn't have enough to get the wickets they needed on the final day to secure victory.

The pitches have been awful to be honest in terms of trying to get a result. Granted if Root had declared earlier then maybe we could have eked out a victory but I wouldn’t have bet on it.

I heard a recent first class match at the next test venue ended within three days, so there is hope the next test could be a competitive one.

England 204 and 120
Windies 297 and 28/0

Embarrassing defeat for England, skittled by part-time bowler Kyle Mayers in the 2nd innings with figures of 17-9-18-5 to give him 27-16-31-7 in the match, he got Root in both innings for 0 and 5.

One bright spark for England was Saqib Mahmood who saved England from totally humiliation on the 1st day scoring 49 coming in at no.11 beating his previous first-class best of 35, and as he was not out in the 2nd innings on 3* he now has a Test average of 52.00, if I was him i'd retire from Test cricket and dine-out on being the only tail-ender to have ever averaged over 50.

Yeah Mahmood was a bright spark, think he has probably cemented his long term spot in the bowling line up. I doubt we will see Overton in Test’s again and think Woakes has potentially run his course.

Root should go as captain but who would replace him? Think you would ask to much of Stokes to do it as well being one of our best batsman, one of our better bowlers and best fielder. There has been some suggestions that Broad could come back as captain which I wouldn’t be against. It was a still a joke that our batsman consistently failed in Australia so the bowlers got dropped.

Mayers is a dibbly dobbly bowler but I remember a few years ago Roston Chase ran rings around us and he is a part time ‘spinner’.

Tough times for England.

Hard to see an obvious answer you've got Stokes and Bairstow can't see them giving it to Broad or Anderson as they don't play every game anymore due to their age.

England in a tough spot with the bowlers we probably have to move on from those two but they are still better than the players coming in so why shouldn't you play them while you still can?

Hard to see an obvious answer you've got Stokes and Bairstow can't see them giving it to Broad or Anderson as they don't play every game anymore due to their age.

England in a tough spot with the bowlers we probably have to move on from those two but they are still better than the players coming in so why shouldn't you play them while you still can?
100%. I feel like the new interim setup wanted to make a huge statement of this is a new era. But even in new eras you still need to play your best players. Broad and Anderson are still light years ahead of Woakes and Overton. We definitely missed Robinson but it’s laughable Anderson and Broad got treated with such disdain after the Ashes - when they were still performing pretty okay! It was just the batters that were rubbish.

I guess the only two guys absolutely guaranteed a spot in the team is Root and Stokes and there is your problem - so you’ve got to pick one or the other.

100%. I feel like the new interim setup wanted to make a huge statement of this is a new era. But even in new eras you still need to play your best players. Broad and Anderson are still light years ahead of Woakes and Overton. We definitely missed Robinson but it’s laughable Anderson and Broad got treated with such disdain after the Ashes - when they were still performing pretty okay! It was just the batters that were rubbish.

I guess the only two guys absolutely guaranteed a spot in the team is Root and Stokes and there is your problem - so you’ve got to pick one or the other.

I think with Anderson and Broad there was probably a thought to save them for the summer series on home turf rather than take them off to the West Indies having played in the Ashes but doesn't feel like either of them want to be missing matches with the clock ticking on the career they want to play every game.

Just seems like there's problems all through the line up no opening batters, no middle order, no seriously quick bowler, no real spinners. There's 4 really top quality players in Root, Stokes, Broad and Anderson and nothing else.

The cupboards are pretty empty at the moment.

Think even with Stokes he'll turn focus more toward one day matches that's where he makes his money.

Pat Cummins is doing okay at it but I wouldn't normally choose to have a frontline bowler as Captain as they tend to under/over bowl themselves so I'd rule Broad out on that score, he'd probably promote himself to no.7 as well. That 169 didn't score itself!

Don't know if there is anybody on the County scene who could come in and do a Mike Brealey, bat down at 6/7 and make up for their lack of ability at Test level by being tactically bang on the money. Even if it's for just 18 months.

Women have made it through to the final, battering South Africa in the semis.

Final vs no 1 team, Australia.

Fantastic turn around from a really poor start.

Root leaves as England captain. Strange it has taken a few weeks since the Windies series. To be honest, the decision should of been taken out of his hands but it’s the right call.

I think it’s nailed on it’ll be Stokes but I don’t think that’s the right call - he has so much going on his plate with batting, bowling and being our best fielder. Shame there isn’t really anyone else who I can consider. Potentially Broad but as he’s been recently dropped I’m not sure.

Think it’s best he resigns makes it easier for the next guy as there shouldn’t be any bitterness from Root.

Root leaves as England captain. Strange it has taken a few weeks since the Windies series. To be honest, the decision should of been taken out of his hands but it’s the right call.

I think it’s nailed on it’ll be Stokes but I don’t think that’s the right call - he has so much going on his plate with batting, bowling and being our best fielder. Shame there isn’t really anyone else who I can consider. Potentially Broad but as he’s been recently dropped I’m not sure.
Agreed, I don't think it should be Stokes but I can't think of who else to give it to.

Should bring Keaton Jennings back into the fold, the guy was born to be a Captain.
Shame he was out of his depth.

Rob Key has been appointed managing director - he definitely had some very strong views about the future when he was a commentator, so hopefully he can shake things up. Fully expect he’ll ask Stokes to be captain.

He’s always been for split coaches in test and short form, so that’s a possibility.

Yeah surely nailed on it’ll be split coaches going forward.

Shame he was out of his depth.

Rob Key has been appointed managing director - he definitely had some very strong views about the future when he was a commentator, so hopefully he can shake things up. Fully expect he’ll ask Stokes to be captain.

He’s always been for split coaches in test and short form, so that’s a possibility.

Just a suggestion, as a proud Lancastrian I hope he isn't being considered.

But he's been talked about for his Captaincy potential since he first came into the game by many in the know.

And he was no more out of his depth than Mike Brealey who often batted at no.7.

If England do go for split Coaches they might go split Captains as well, maybe they could have Jennings as the Captain of the 50 over side to see if he is up for the job.

Just a suggestion, as a proud Lancastrian I hope he isn't being considered.

But he's been talked about for his Captaincy potential since he first came into the game by many in the know.

And he was no more out of his depth than Mike Brealey who often batted at no.7.

If England do go for split Coaches they might go split Captains as well, maybe they could have Jennings as the Captain of the 50 over side to see if he is up for the job.
I think days have long gone where you can hire someone for pure captaincy skills. There are a few very good captains doing the rounds like Abell at Somerset but it’s whether they can also do the business batting or bowling.

I think Jennings is a bit one dimensional as a batsman. He’s good in county cricket but put him up against quality fast bowling and his technique is found wanting. Superb player in the sub-continent though.

Ben Stokes it is then as new Test captain.

No doubt he will do a good job because he is a born leader. Just worried about how it could affect his performances as he’s the epitome of an all-rounder.

Split coaches are being advertised as well which is a good idea. We need someone to focus solely on our Test team and get us back to being a competitive side.

How the standards have dropped, at one time you wouldn't be considered for Captaincy of England if you were caught farting in public, now you can openly brawl in the streets, WG Grace will be turning in his grave.

England currently 216-5 chasing another 61 runs to win today against NZ.

For anyone that has watched England of late, that 216-5 could well turn into 220 all out in the blink of an eye! Hopefully we can get this one over the line though to give Stokes and McCullum a winning start.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back