Cricket 2021

So in 2021 Joe Root has scored more runs in 2 tests against India than everyone elses combined runs this year.

He might not be the greatest captain when it come to the tactics but my god he's carrying this absolute shower of a batting line up right now.
Yep you could argue a case for dropping every batsman apart from Root. Trouble is the new guys we bring in don’t fare any better. Seems like we are struggling to find test players these days - guess it’s to be expected with some focus on one day/T20/hundred.

11 overs to go, three wickets in hand. Need to just hold out here!

Fifth test with India called off due to Covid cases in the India camp.

India win the series 2-1

Apparently India forfeit the match so it’s 2-2.

Least we got a draw out of the series which I didn’t see happening. :p

Aggers been talking about it on R5, some thinking that it might be to do with the IPL and all the money involved there. It starts in 10 days which happens to be the isolation period. Apparantly all the players returned negative tests yesterday.

All rumour though

They requested more tests yesterday which I don't think have come back yet there was talk of a 1 day delay but that screwed everyones tickets up.

The IPL theory is certainly an interesting one but if the India fans found out that was the real reason they skipped this test they'd be livid surely?

Forfeit has been removed from the statement leaving the result unclear.

Can just see it being declared a no result.

I doubt England would want the series to be declared a draw in this way.

The refunds that will now need to go to spectators, sponsors and broadcasters might require some sort of further action as calling it off on the day of the game when you don't actually have any confirmed new cases isn't really on.

Without looking does anybody remember who won the inaugural '100', nope me neither.

We don't do franchises in England, and Lancashire CCC players playing against the Manchester Originals or whatever the hell they were called will never catch on.

I give it 3 years.

Yeah wasn’t really feeling the hundred Watched a few games but give me a Test any day of the week! I am a bit of a purist, I do like a one dayer and T20 but yeah hundred not really for me.

If I has to guess I’d say southern brave but I only really watch England.

The hundred was alright to have on in the background but honestly couldn’t see the point way to many gimmicks just play T20 and a lot of the buzz went when all the internationals left after a few games.

Yeah wasn’t really feeling the hundred Watched a few games but give me a Test any day of the week! I am a bit of a purist, I do like a one dayer and T20 but yeah hundred not really for me.

A poster after my own heart, Test cricket is still King.

Any watching the ICC Men's T20 World Cup? Any good?

I just can't get into it, though i'll probably watch more once we get to the Semis.

Yeah have watched a few games but like you say I will probably get really into it in the knockouts. Plus the games are at 11am and 3pm so not very good when you are at work!

England have played really well so far and I think we will get to the final, probably against India or Pakistan.

England have started well but it'll be tough to keep that standard up in those conditions, with that in mind and how they humiliated India(who i'd imagine would have been one of the bookies favourites to win the tournament), Pakistan will take a lot of stopping, though they are quite capable of beating themselves!

4 wickers in 10 balls has really taken the game away from them.

129-5 becames 134-9.

Not been following it that closely because you know that stuff goes on, banter eh?

Just wonder what Adil Rashid's take on it is as he spent more time as he was more successful, in that environment.

An did Tendulkar pick up on it, and would it not have brought it to everybodies attention earlier if he'd spoken out.

If it’s banter it isn’t getting reported because banter goes both ways and from the reports some of this banter was behind his back which isn’t banter. It’s quite clear that it’s reached a point where it stopped being banter and became something more serious.

Their attempt to brush it under the carpet has backfired and good on the ECB for dropping the hammer this sort of behaviour as banter needs to be stamped out.

Yorkshire chairman resigns he was appointed after Rafiq left and wasn't at the club when the incidents happened.

His statement that goes with his resination is quite damning and sounds like how most people view a lot of these sporting institutions lots of old white male faces the men in blazers who refuse to accept any change.

Michael Vaughan has also been named as a player who made a racist remark towards Rafiq which he denies ever making will be interesting to see if he keeps his job in the wake of this as he does a lot of punditry work as the former captain and has become a bit of a TV personality.

Yeah they're in big trouble the ECB taking away international matches plus sponsors ditching them left, right and centre if the board doesn't resign how long before the money runs out?

Going to be difficult to attract players too as quickly you become a "toxic" name in the sport and players won't want to be associated with you.

Given that Yorkshire has massive asian communities you'd think as a county they'd be doing everything they can to bring these people into the sport and support their county instead they seem to want to distant themselves from them by treating them like second class citizens.

Always got the feeling YCCC associated itself more with the Yorkshire golden triangle (the wealthy, pastoral area between north Leeds, York and Harrogate) than glance back over its shoulder towards Bradford.

Oh yeah and they aren't the only county who haven't embraced the working class areas where things might be a bit more ethnically diverse as Cricket is essentially a sport played by posh white boys in this country.

I can only imagine that at the board level I imagine very little has changed in terms of attitude in the last 50 years will be an old boys network.

It’s a really tough watch hearing all the things that Azeem Rafiq had to face at Yorkshire. The fact it was laughed and fobbed off as banter is just disgusting. Some big names from past and present being named and shamed. Even David Lloyd’s name came up today - you can imagine he will soon announce his retirement from Sky before being pushed. Michael Vaughan denies claims but Rafiq’s claims have been corroborated by other players.

Also, other players are starting to come out against other counties, Essex and Northants have also been named in the last few days.

I think we all know there is a racist element in all walks of life but to hear about the extent in a game which has been pushing the anti-racism message is shocking.

I listened to the whole 3 hours or whatever it was. English cricket needs to have a serious look at itself

I wasn’t surprised to hear about Vaughan but it’s a shame to hear David Lloyd tried to discredit Rafiq he at least had the balls to admit he made a mistake. Admitting it may save his job but I’d also hope he makes a proper personal apology to Rafiq away from the public eye.

Cricket is now forced to change. It was never going to just be a Yorkshire problem these things never are and no doubt others may now feel empowered to come forward and hopefully they do. Those who’ve been allowed to get away with it because people were afraid to speak out need to be identified and removed from positions of power within that game.

Should apologising really give any redemption? Most of these guys coming out and apologising now are only doing it because they have been essentially called out by this enquiry or named by Rafiq. Obviously it’s always good and respectful to apologise but doesn’t take away from saying the things in the first place.

not to dilute the problem of racism, but isn't this just pack mentality, that's what needs changing. There is fatty, ginger, four eyes, lefty, chav etc etc. all of this is passed off as banter in groups, so then the racist terms get lumped in with it.

I'm not sure how you change that.

Some of the stuff mentioned yesterday went way beyond this btw.

not to dilute the problem of racism, but isn't this just pack mentality, that's what needs changing. There is fatty, ginger, four eyes, lefty, chav etc etc. all of this is passed off as banter in groups, so then the racist terms get lumped in with it.

I'm not sure how you change that.

Some of the stuff mentioned yesterday went way beyond this btw.
I guess there has to be an education around it but come on, you don’t have to be smart to realise any offensive term is wrong.

I have worked with many different nationalities, races and cultures over the years but not once have I ever contemplated saying something offensive just because of where they are from, what they look like etc.

These people mentioned are not impressionable kids who just follow the crowd - these are grown men who should know a hell of a lot better.

An apology doesn't get you off the hook completly but it's an important part of the process it's you accepting you were wrong it goes without saying that it needs to be authentic the "I'm sorry you were offended" apology doesn't cut it with me. That would be the one we sadly get from a lot of our government in recent years if you are going to apologise you have to admit that you were wrong.

Rafiq himself says the reason this has grown into the size of story it now is was because no one said sorry the powers that be wanted the whole thing sort of buried in non-disclosure agreements and for him to move on. Also, the double standards when it came to the way he felt he was treated compared to his white team mate when he was having some problems off the field.

Dressing room banter will always be part of sport it's how you bond as individuals but you need to know where the lines are and having an awareness to know when you've pushed to far and to back off. Banter has to work two ways and I think in modern days certain things have to be off limits one of those things is racism because not everyone who's on the receiving end of it is brave enough to speak up to put a stop to it.

New day new scandal in cricket.

Someone has found an anti-semitic social media comment by Rafiq which Rafiq has apologised for and now the sun have posted a photo of Alex Hales dressing up in black face for a new years party in 2009 where he decided to dress as Tupac.

Australian captain Tim Paine also resigns after a sexting scandal.

Seems to be one story after another coming out of the woodwork. There must be countless stories being untold by players around the country. The Yorkshire incidents aren’t going to be the only ones around - I’ve heard stories about Essex, Northants and a few other counties as well.

Rafiq has been a real hero coming forward to tell his story but now that’s been tarnished slightly by the anti-semitic social media comments.

Cricket is in just one big mess at the moment. Even on field it’s not been great. The T20 WC was a big snooze fest when you win the toss, you win the game. Hoping the Ashes can be a stormer!

Rafiq never claimed he was an angel he made that clear at the start he was just fed up with the double standard of white players getting an easier ride than he did when he made mistakes.

As for Tim Paine it’s old news not sure why the details of the messages have suddenly been released.

Not been following it that closely because you know that stuff goes on, banter eh?

Just wonder what Adil Rashid's take on it is as he spent more time as he was more successful, in that environment.

An did Tendulkar pick up on it, and would it not have brought it to everybodies attention earlier if he'd spoken out.

Who'd have thought Adil follows SEA. Glad he's spoken out.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back