Cricket 2021

Not sure Livingstone is the answer. He has seriously declined at first class level after a promising start. He averaged 14 in red ball cricket in 2021 season.

Not sure Livingstone is the answer. He has seriously declined at first class level after a promising start. He averaged 14 in red ball cricket in 2021 season.
Yeah not sure either but he does have something about him that makes me think he could be an option. Also let’s be fair he couldn’t do much worse! I think he has the right mentality as well, some of the guys in at the moment look so weak minded at the moment.

Billings maybe? He’s in the BBL at the moment. Again though he’s more of a white ball player.

The openers and possibly number 3 is the biggest is the issue. The top order hasn’t laid the foundations to allow the flair players in the middle order to play their natural game. Who, I don’t know as I no longer follow county cricket as I once did.

19 year old Beckham Reef Wheeler-Greenall made his Super Smash debut for Otago yesterday.

Some research:

Mend it like Beckham :rolleyes:

I would agree about Livingstone but then again he’s a better white ball player than red and that pretty much sums up where England are. We produce really good white ball players at the moment but where are the world class Test match players? Kids are growing up watching the hundred, T20’s etc and they just want to pick the bat up and smack it!

I can’t even look at County cricket and think wow that youngster is going to be a fine test player. There just aren’t many options about.

Apart from Root, Stokes and Anderson there is a case for dropping the rest. Unless weather or Covid intervenes, this is nailed on 5-0.

I dunno, just with batting, lads like Pope and Lawrence and one or two others seem to score heavily in the County Championship but it's too stop and start, they get some form then all the limited overs stuff starts and they don't get the opportunity to build on that form, they seem to start earlier every year and end later so why they don't get the 50 over competitions out of the way in say April/May, have the bulk of the 4 day games June to August when the weather and pitches are better which will help fast bowlers and spinners as well, then have the 20/20 and the 100 in September. Probably too much like common sense though.

I know he's fallen away in red ball cricket the last 2 years but he's not really had a run of games to sort his form out due to constant call ups to the England 20 and 50 over squads then not getting picked and missing vital County games for Lancashire CCC.

I'm not disputing he averages 14, but where are you getting the info from? I've looked my normal places but can't seem to find it.

Anyhow the fact he was until recently playing in Abu Dhabi at the T10 so wouldn't have a problem acclimatising like somebody drafted in from England, but just looking he didn't pull up any trees there scoring only 206 runs in 10 completed innings with a top score of 59 and took 9 wickets.

So maybe not, but still think Parkinson is a good call, plus the Aussies would love him, win win.

It’s the hope that kills you. We were going along swimmingly at 60 odd for no loss chasing 270ish and now 83-3 in the midst of a collapse. Sigh.

Do you think test cricket is dead?
I don’t think so, it is still the pinnacle of skill but the ECB have screwed the Test team over. The County Championship is shunted aside like some secondary competition and it is mostly played when batting conditions are sketchy. When a 45 year old Darren Stevens is picking up a clatter of wickets with his 70mph dobblers you know the conditions are so bowler friendly.

Even the 50 over competition has been shunted aside and most teams played their 2nd or 3rd XI.

The Hundred was entirely unnecessary and it’s played at a time when batsman should be playing the longer form to improve their skills in preparation for Test cricket.

Yep would only say Root, Stokes, Anderson, Broad, Wood and Robinson deserve their places in the Test squad at the moment. That in itself is a damning indictment of where we are.

I don’t see it being fixed any time soon all the players will move towards the shorter forms of the game as that is where the money is.

Test cricket will be the secondary route for players who aren’t good enough for the shorter game.

you will get a few who do both but I don’t see us developing elite level test cricketers anymore.

An hour and a half to lose 10 wickets! Even by the former exhibits of shambolic batting on this tour, that is some going!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back