Coronavirus

Germany is going to follow suit by the looks of it. They've cancelled all gigs and Christmas markets that were due to happen for the rest of the year.

Yep I still wear a mask and will do so for a while I imagine. When I go shopping now I think most places it’s less than 50% of people wearing masks now.

A month on and i'm still wearing one, as are 70% of shoppers, but less and less of the staff are which seems strange as they are obviously more likely to come into contact with somebody that has the virus during their shift.

A month on and i'm still wearing one, as are 70% of shoppers, but less and less of the staff are which seems strange as they are obviously more likely to come into contact with somebody that has the virus during their shift.
Whereabouts in the UK are you? Where I am I'd say 70% of shoppers are not now wearing masks.

Yeah very few people round here wear masks I’d say maybe 10% the only place I’ve worn one recently was getting my hair cut.

I would say about 30-40% in the supermarkets, shops etc around Devon. I still wear mine in shops and so does my wife - but the mask wearing I see is dwindling week by week.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Where I am I'd say 70% of shoppers are not now wearing masks.

Think NW England and Submarines, I'll say no more ;)

I'm pleasantly surprised how high it still is locally and it's mainly the over 35's and under 18's still wearing 'em

ps. not yellow submarines.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A new variant of high concern uncovered in Africa and now seems to have made its way to Europe. I feel like we are back to when this first started and we first heard about cases in China.

Obviously we have now have our vaccine programme but early signs this is more transmissible and could evade vaccines.

Really hope this isn’t the start of another wave!

Well the only positive is this time they've at least shut things down a bit sooner but it'll only slow it down the spread is inevitable it's all going to come down to how much the vaccinations protect us lets hope it's enough to prevent further lockdowns non of us want to go back to that.

They really should start urging some caution again work from home, wear your mask, get your vaccinations but we're now building up to christmas where people will be starting to want to meet up with friends and family especially after what happened last year.

It seems never ending with this news. I can’t see why masks for those who can wear them are just not made mandatory for the winter months.

It seems never ending with this news. I can’t see why masks for those who can wear them are just not made mandatory for the winter months.

Because we've made a health issue a political issue like everything these days shouldn't even really be up for debate if the medical professions are saying they make a difference then we should be using them unless there's an obvious health reason why you can't.

It's the same reason we still have adverts around drink driving or wearing a seat belt some people just don't like being told what they can and can't do. The vast majority of us see the sense around why these laws are in place and don't think twice about complying but some don't because they don't think it'll ever happen to them.

I admit I don't bother with a mask anymore because pretty much everyone round here is no longer wearing them but if they do work there's no reason why the government shouldn't insist they are worn in public places and give the authorities the necessary powers to punish those who don't wear them.

Think over the next few days we might see more temporary travel restrictions come in while they get their head around what this new variant means.

Becasue Boris governs for the ERG, and they don't like them.

If he goes against them he knows he'll lose his job

That seems to be a logical step to implement again. However, not totally sure this government actually thinks logically!

I just hope that if this new variant does end up in the UK then we stamp straight on it with more restrictions.

It was that bloody windy last night my mask blew off walking to the supermarket and landed in the one puddle that hadn't been blown into the middle of next week - I felt that guilty walking around the store without one i'll probably wear two next time.

Extra measures like masks and working from home may be needed. Lockdowns absolutely will not happen.
I wouldn’t say that. Obviously no-one knows what will happen in the future with this new variant. I definitely wouldn’t rule another lockdown in some degree.

I wouldn’t say that. Obviously no-one knows what will happen in the future with this new variant. I definitely wouldn’t rule another lockdown in some degree.
If we have another lockdown then that's a lockdown every year for the rest of our lives.

If we have another lockdown then that's a lockdown every year for the rest of our lives.

So Austria, Germany, Holland are never going to go another year without a lockdown?

It's a an extreme suggestion to say a virus that is less than two years old will keep us in lockdown every year. We quite simply have to look at how things are going and act accordingly not rule anything out and use fear on either side to go to extremes. If lockdown is the correct answer for this year then so be it. It is isn't then we shouldn't go in to it. But we shouldn't be fear mongering on either side just following the numbers and if the NHS can't cope.

One thing they need to do is to ensure the NHS can keep continuing with crucial life saving operations though that can't afford to be put off.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a two week lockdown over the Christmas break. And I would imagine only about 60-70% of people would listen this time.

It’s not great being locked away in your house and not really being able to see family and friends, however if we have to go into lockdown to save peoples lives then it’s the right thing to do. If the data suggests we are on an upward curve then we have to cut the head off the snake before it gets going again.

Lockdowns are annoying and disruptive but they save lives.

Viruses mutant... It is what they do. And they tend to mutant to become more transmissible and less potent. The whole thing for the government, their #1 priority is to protect the NHS. Not to save lives. In protecting the NHS you naturally save lives but that #1 priority is to protect the NHS.

New rules bugger up my girls trip back at Christmas. Understand of course. But awful for personal reasons

Coming from France, not seen family for 3 years and dementia is setting in fast :(

Think they’ve finally learned the lessons take quick decisive action let’s hope it’s enough and this new strain isn’t to much to worry about.

Well the restrictions may be short lived if the reports out of South Africa are right the symptoms of this new variant don’t seem to be any more severe than Delta they might decide to remove them.

A bit of caution while they work it out seems sensible to me.

Well the restrictions may be short lived if the reports out of South Africa are right the symptoms of this new variant don’t seem to be any more severe than Delta they might decide to remove them.

A bit of caution while they work it out seems sensible to me.
And that's why I can't understand why some are criticising the government for acting so quickly. Boris said yesterday their actions were to buy time to further study the variant.

And that's why I can't understand why some are criticising the government for acting so quickly. Boris said yesterday their actions were to buy time to further study the variant.

Because people are really getting fed up with this whole thing and I understand their frustrations I don’t see the people stomaching another lockdown

Because people are really getting fed up with this whole thing and I understand their frustrations I don’t see the people stomaching another lockdown
I don't either but the whole point is to prevent the need for another.

Yeah they're finding more and more cases and it's expected today they'll be offering the booster jab to all adults now again more common sense.

We saw the mess being reactive got us in to first time around so being a bit more proactive this time has got to be a positive.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back