Coronavirus

Just feels to me like Boris knew he couldn't suffer another delay to restrictions lifting he wouldn't have got another extention through parliament.

Everyone wants this whole thing to be over but surely some safe guards needed to remain in place until we're all vaccinated and it shouldn't be left up to businesses to decide which side of the debate they want to be on. It's lazy governing and passing the buck.

Reports that the track and trace is currently pinging around 500,000 people per week.

At my girlfriends school 1 kid took out 11 teachers with a positive test they've now sent a whole year group home and they are close to closing early for summer, another school that a friend teaches at have closed early for summer and are doing home learning for the remaining days due to covid.

Just feels to me like Boris knew he couldn't suffer another delay to restrictions lifting he wouldn't have got another extention through parliament.

Everyone wants this whole thing to be over but surely some safe guards needed to remain in place until we're all vaccinated and it shouldn't be left up to businesses to decide which side of the debate they want to be on. It's lazy governing and passing the buck.

Reports that the track and trace is currently pinging around 500,000 people per week.

At my girlfriends school 1 kid took out 11 teachers with a positive test they've now sent a whole year group home and they are close to closing early for summer, another school that a friend teaches at have closed early for summer and are doing home learning for the remaining days due to covid.

The situation with schools is terrible. So much lost education that will never be clawed back for some.

I'm a little worried that the vaccines aren't as effective as they have reported.

What makes you think that?

The rise in hospitalisations/deaths isn't growing at anywhere near the rate it did during the first few waves the only reason for that is the vaccinations.

The vaccination is not the silver bullet you can still get covid with a vaccination it just massively reduces your chances of getting seriously ill or dying from it.

The vaccination is like a helmet for your bike it won't always save your life in the event that you smash your head in a crash but it hugely reduces the risk of that happening.

The deaths and hospital numbers are starting to rise though sharply though now. Some are predicting by the end of August we are at January's levels again.

Yesterday we had 634 admissions and 96 deaths in England.

Very true but it's still nowhere near the scale of what we saw in the previous waves and the majority of people coming into hospital have not received vaccinations. The numbers are rising but they are not spiking anywhere near as much as they did previously as case numbers grow so will the others that trend remains consistent but it is not as aggressive.

As Patrick Vallance said at the Monday press conference around 60% of people who come to hospital up to the end of last week are unvaccinated.

Where we do have a problem is those who are most likely to mix socially currently the younger people are the ones who don't have the protection. So loads of under 40's myself included who flocked to pubs/bars watching football for the last month are at risk of getting sick because we don't have the protection of full vaccination.

It would appear the policy from the government is now let those under 40 still waiting for their jabs take decisions into their own hands and take whatever risks they want which is a very reckless way to govern and is the reason why a country like Netherlands has had a massive back track in the last few weeks.

I guess the big worry is that this vaccine is offering protection to strains so far but what if it mutates into a new strain which bypasses the vaccine protection. Obviously that’s a big if but I think there are going to be a lot of people who think they are invincible because they are vaccinated. Cases will continue to rise but hopefully the hospitalisations and deaths can remain small in comparison to the cases.

Another lockdown or enforcing of restrictions is pretty much a given in the future. Hopefully it wouldn’t be a full on lockdown but I can see a u-turn like the Netherlands have done.

The vaccination is like a helmet for your bike it won't always save your life in the event that you smash your head in a crash but it hugely reduces the risk of that happening.
Oh yeah sorry I know that. But they still think we could be looking at 1000-2000 Hospitalizations a day in mid August... And at that rate they'll lock us down again pretty quickly.

620,000 people pinged by the app in a week.

They need to sort this out the app is just doing it's job but given case numbers it isn't designed to operate with this much circulation of the virus it's designed to work when case numbers are low and to try and keep them low to avoid lockdowns.

Mad thing is this is only the people who actually have it so many people have deleted it.

It's resulting in some serious distribution problems for a lot of businesses who are struggling to get their goods to shops/businesses.

They're allowing you to bring your vaccine date forwards now for those of you that haven't had your second. Just moved mine from the 31st of August to the 10th.

Moved mine forward to the 16th August but going to try a walk in centre next weekend as that is my 8 week period done.

Girlfriend tested positive today. She woke up this morning with a headache and got worse throughout the day just feel achey all over.

Mainly just exhausted but 10 days isolation for us.

Girlfriend tested positive today. She woke up this morning with a headache and got worse throughout the day just feel achey all over.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope she is better soon. Stay well.

Hope she is better soon mate and that you are both ok

Hope she feels better soon man.

Cheers fellas. Sure she'll be fine. Still mainly just a bad headache. She's had her first jab and is still in her 20's so not too worried. Especially as currently doesn't have any if the breathing issues that you do worry about. Fingers crossed it remains that way!

Cheers fellas. Sure she'll be fine. Still mainly just a bad headache. She's had her first jab and is still in her 20's so not too worried. Especially as currently doesn't have any if the breathing issues that you do worry about. Fingers crossed it remains that way!

How's she doing?

Someone I work with has failed a lateral flow and is off to get a test today but I've not been in the office with her since last week.

690,000 now pinged by the app in a week so still rising.

The case numbers are dropping but hospitalisations and deaths are rising.

Tried to get into a walk in clinic to get my second jab done but they turned me away as I'm a couple of days short of 8 weeks, went at the end of the day and the place was pretty much deserted so going to try against at the weekend.

Monday/Tuesday she was struggling. Couldn't sit up as was getting too dizzy. Yesterday was better and today feels like she's alright. Sense of smell gone and a little achey but returning to work (from home) Tomo. So well on the mend.

I'm also still testing negative. So good news all round. Just wish it was next Tuesday and I could head to a pub garden and have a pint!

Good to hear she's on the mend and that so far fingers crossed it's not hit you.

At least it's not 30 odd degrees every day since you've been stuck inside like it was last week.

Monday/Tuesday she was struggling. Couldn't sit up as was getting too dizzy. Yesterday was better and today feels like she's alright. Sense of smell gone and a little achey but returning to work (from home) Tomo. So well on the mend.

I'm also still testing negative. So good news all round. Just wish it was next Tuesday and I could head to a pub garden and have a pint!
Good to hear mate

I had a terrible reaction to the second jab last week. Was like I was properly ill. Freezing cold/Boiling hot, throwing up, head ache and just couldn't keep my eyes open or support my head. Went for the full range of symptoms. Had it Tuesday. Screwed all day Wednesday and then absolutely fine when I woke up Thursday. Was strange just how much it knocked me for 6.

My wife had a reaction to both, my daughters and I were fine.

They did a test on my 14 year old, turns out she had Covid at some point.

My mrs was the same after both doses of the Pfizer she was rough for a few days I was fine after the first one and the second one was just a bit tired for a day or two then absolutely fine after that.

Booster jabs confirmed for over 50's in UK and other at risk people.

Jab recommended to be 6 months after your 2nd jab and they're saying most will be offered Pfizer does sound like the AZ jab will be getting phased out as it has proven to be not as effective as Pfizer and Moderna.

The controversial covid passport idea is being dropped although we did have to show our covid pass on the NHS app when we went to a theatre last week, I wonder if that will now change.

Just seems more restrictions removed and they are just relying on vaccines for winter. Seems strange just as we entering a more difficult time of the year.

They haven't totally ruled out the use of restrictions going forward but I guess they want to test the vaccines ability to keep things at a controlable level to allow society to function as normal. To do that they almost need to "let it rip" and see what happens now most of us are jabbed.

Really the focus needs to be on convincing those currently against taking the vaccinations to get one as these people are making up the vast majority of the cases that end up in hospitals.

The vaccination clearly does offer extra defences but it's not a cure but there is big business in spreading bullsh*t online and some people fall for the horror stories which aren't all false but don't reflect the current evidence that complications from the vaccine remain extremely rare.

Just seems more restrictions removed and they are just relying on vaccines for winter. Seems strange just as we entering a more difficult time of the year.
It isn't really strange at all. We've got to learn to live with it. It isn't going anywhere, it will always be in circulation and we have to accept that. This autumn and winter as a population we are going to be the most protected we will ever be from this virus. So what's the alternative? Restrictions for the rest of our lives every autumn and winter?

Furlough ends today with around 1m people still using the scheme as some businesses still recover from the impact of Covid such as the travel industry.

How long can you keep this sort of support going though? Very tough decision to make.

Must admit it's been a long time since I saw the numbers as everywhere I look currently life seems to be pretty much back to normal.

While case numbers remain pretty consistent the numbers going into hospital and the numbers dying seem to be dropping which shows the vaccinations do work.

I still wear a mask when I go shopping, and will for the foreseeable. Disappointed more don't so the same.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back