Coronavirus

So we are to avoid social gatherings, work from home etc but our government won’t force pubs, clubs, restaurants, cafes, theatres etc to close which might give them a chance of recovering costs through their insurance.

Why does it feel like decisions are being made putting £ before people?

If every other country is taking precautions to slow it down why aren’t we doing the same straight away rather than wait?

Give it a few days airports will close for commercial flights and schools will close.

I work in construction and you can already see things slowing down plenty of people who work in this industry don’t get paid if they don’t go to work as they’re self employed/agency. These guys will drag themselves into work in all sorts of states to make sure bills get paid if you don’t take the decision out of their hands they will continue to spread the virus.

The government guidelines are going to massively change this week. Their idea of herd immunisation has been slammed by every quarter of the world.
Only, no such guidelines were given, this was simply the ramblings of a mad cow.

Why does it feel like decisions are being made putting £ before people?

If every other country is taking precautions to slow it down why aren’t we doing the same straight away rather than wait?

Give it a few days airports will close for commercial flights and schools will close.

Feels the same to me mate, speaks volumes about our society.

I think the reason they're resisting putting these precautions is purely economical.

I think you're right about schools. Quite a few unis have shut and mine has cancelled teaching tomorrow, whilst they discuss what to do. I think they're going to try to move all teaching online, but not entirely sure how. I could see this potentially working for unis, but not sure it would work for primary schools, secondary schools and colleges though.

Only, no such guidelines were given, this was simply the ramblings of a mad cow.

Patrick Vallance our chief scientific advisor is the ‘mad cow’ you refer to who suggested this was the model we were taking. And it very much was until Sunday afternoon when we were slammed by every single country in the world for the absolute insane route we were taking and the reason for the complete u-turn we’ve taken today. Hence as I said the guidelines will massively change in the coming days like they have since I said it.

The u-turn is becasue someone at Imperial College did a model and proved the UK's thinking at that time was going to cause a huge epidemic in the UK and the NHS would not be able to cope. So they said on 5 live earlier.

And in the UK £ is defo in the forefront. Telling people not to go to bars and theatres, but not closng them so they can't get compensation for example.

Boris is not performing well in my opinion.

My office has just taken the decision to send us all home for the foreseeable future. Ranging from 3 days to 12 weeks.

Our company is being a bit wishy washy at the moment telling everyone to come to work as normal which contradicts the government advice.

I expect things will change shortly as school will be closing this week

That’s what our company was like until about 20 minutes ago. We’re in a similar industry and the big thing is the operation team. Ours will still be working on site it’s just design and commercial sent home.

Today I decided to self isolate and left the office from which 2 people have displayed symptoms prior to one being told to leave the office and the other deciding to leave.

That’s what our company was like until about 20 minutes ago. We’re in a similar industry and the big thing is the operation team. Ours will still be working on site it’s just design and commercial sent home.

That's where we are at I work in the commercial team so expecting from tomorrow I'll be working from home.

The issue was the message came in from government yesterday afternoon and it wasn't a clear message so it's business as usual unless our clients tell us to stop which they won't. Sites are being told to stop all non essential staff from visiting projects.

Our company made the decision to send everyone home yesterday in all worldwide sites. Working from home is my norm for a while I presume.

Our company made the decision to send everyone home yesterday in all worldwide sites. Working from home is my norm for a while I presume.

They told us to be prepared for it to be up to 12 weeks

when not on this forum :)
Well got to take breaks don’t you? ;)

We haven’t had a time scale on it but it’s just indefinitely. My wife’s company doesn’t have WFH capabilities and they’ve asked their staff to no longer take the park and ride bus so have to drive everyday to drop her off and pick her up anyway. This virus is making my life a nightmare! :rolleyes:

I'm just looking at the financial gains. A month of working from home saves me £600 a month in travel / lunches.

you've stll got to eat

Although I work from home, nothing changes, but in the building industry, I'm a bit worried about future workload. I'm self employed.

Yeah I'm on the books but who knows what's going to happen most projects plan to carry on the world has got to keep turning at this point but shutting down projects could be curtains for a number of contractors as money not coming means money can't go out not many contractors sitting on huge pots of cash these days.

how can you carry on building if you're meant to keep your distance. The supply line will be affected too.

We’re getting ready to be sent home for the foreseeable future. It’s quite sad actually. I already wfh for three days so it is not a massive change in terms of working pattern.

I work in the medical industry. Call on as normal for me. Wish I could work from home...

I work in the medical industry. Call on as normal for me. Wish I could work from home...
Stay safe, Bob.

The ones that can work from home are very fortunate to be honest. There are so many industries that have to be in work and if things close down and they are temporarily laid off then bills are going to pile up. Very sad and worrying situation for all.

I am in the motor trade. Still going in as normal. Can't do my job from home and we don't get sick pay for being off.

you've stll got to eat

Although I work from home, nothing changes, but in the building industry, I'm a bit worried about future workload. I'm self employed.

Yeah I'll still be eating. But i'm not going to be spending £6/£7 a lunch when sitting at home.

how can you carry on building if you're meant to keep your distance. The supply line will be affected too.

Until the government change the guidelines you have to plod on and risk exposure currently they're advising social distancing and advising those who can to work from home.

If you can't work from home you still have to go to work follow the advice regularly wash your hands etc but for these guys most of them are no work no pay so as the employer we have to monitor and make sure they appear fit for work every day if they appear sick we send them away that's all we can do. You need people to take responsibility and isolate yourself if you or others around you become sick. Companies are upping their game in terms of site conditions more regular cleaning of surfaces but you can only continue at this enhanced service for so long before supplies run out.

It hasn't really hit home yet but it's imminent I'd be amazed if by the end of this week we aren't in the same lockdown as other European competitions looks to me like they're slowly shutting down the systems rather than doing it all in one hit.

we now need a certificate just to go to the shops for food or walking the dog. You fill it in yourself though, not sure of the point.

Yeah I'll still be eating. But i'm not going to be spending £6/£7 a lunch when sitting at home.
Do you not make lunches?

Seems crazy to me that people buy their lunch every day. Like in my office the guys always go to the local cafe and spend at least £5 on a meal deal. Then I am there with my little packed lunch which cost a fraction!

Do you not make lunches?

Seems crazy to me that people buy their lunch every day. Like in my office the guys always go to the local cafe and spend at least £5 on a meal deal. Then I am there with my little packed lunch which cost a fraction!

Very rarely. If I’m doing something like a bolognaise I’ll make extra for lunch the next day but not other than that.

Usually over to the cafe or chippy. I’ve always liked a reason to get out of the office.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Where I live is in lock down now no flights in except nationals (Caribbean)... kids home for a month (minimum)... this is going to be very stressful.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back