Coronavirus in sport

jsp

Anti Vax or not he's got rights to travel in accordance with the rules my guess is if that Visa form had been filled out correctly they'd have allowed him to stay but any error on a visa form going into any country normally gets you turned around.

Wouldn't want to be the person who filled that form out right now.

SuperRash

Sick of hearing about this whole Djokovic thing! He’s not vaccinated and clearly flouted the rules by going out with Covid. There shouldn’t be special treatment for anyone.

jsp

Burnley vs Leicester off due to Covid/Injuries in the Burnley camp.

Imagine if the reason the games off is because Chris Wood leaving has left them 1 man short.

jsp

NLD is off. Apparently Arsenal only have one case.

ridiculous decision.

4 players at AFCoN, 1 suspended a couple injured and they’ve loaned out 2 players this month.

The reason they are short is they haven’t managed their squad properly this month keep those 2 loan players until the end of the month and the game is on.

SuperRash

It’s getting absolutely ridiculous especially when it is citing injuries and the AFCON. Sure if there is a barrage of Covid cases but it’s getting stupid. Clubs have had to deal with injury crises in the past. It’s like let’s try and get some postponed until we get our better players back from AFCON - this is not just aimed at Arsenal.

jsp

It’s getting absolutely ridiculous especially when it is citing injuries and the AFCON. Sure if there is a barrage of Covid cases but it’s getting stupid. Clubs have had to deal with injury crises in the past. It’s like let’s try and get some postponed until we get our better players back from AFCON - this is not just aimed at Arsenal.

by the current rules you dont need any covid cases to get a game called off.

if you have less than 12 outfield and 1 keeper from your registered squad available the game is off.

In EFL cup the rules are different so that game Thursday will almost definitely be on.

Spurs are now 4 games behind schedule due to postponements.

Mr C

It is a joke, Klopp got a game moved and it turned out they had 1 case. I feel for Spurs, that game should have gone ahead. Injuries and ACoN shouldn't come into it.

jsp

Aubameyang and Lemina sent home from AFCoN due to Heart Legions being picked up on scans.

Aubameyang tested postive for Covid when he arrived in Cameroon not sure about Lemina but both players have been released back to their clubs due to the concerns over the scans.

You do have to wonder what the lasting damage could be to an athlete if they get ill from Covid we still don't really know the damage the virus leaves behind in the longer term if you get it back will you ever recover fully? It's why I just don't get why any athlete wouldn't take the vaccination to give themselves that extra protection from getting seriously ill.

jsp

Burnley vs Watford now off due to Covid.

Burnley have some serious catching up to do they are now 5 games behind where they should be this season.

I did hear a bit more regarding the rule on Covid so essentially you only need 1 confirmed covid case to get a game off it you are down to less than 13 senior players. So injury/suspension/AFCoN could mean 10 players unavailable and you have to play but the moment you get 1 confirmed covid case in that mix it's game off.

We are surely at the point now where teams will be desperate to play these games rather than fall further and further behind.

The end of the season is going to be a mess especially if the English sides do well in Europe.

jsp

Two different takes from two different managers

Conte says the "big problem" is Covid-19 and games should not be postponed for "other situations".

He added: "We should not postpone games for injuries, for international duty. I think we have a big problem to solve and it's Covid, but only about this situation can you decide to postpone, not for other situations.

"Honestly, it's my first time in my life - and I've had a bit of experience in football - I've seen this type of decision. It was very strange.

"If the Premier League decides to postpone games for injury it means that maybe they have to try to make a better schedule and reduce games.

"But I repeat, this is the first time in my life that there is a league that has postponed the game for injuries. It is very strange and surprising."

'The rules are clear'

However, Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers, whose side host Spurs on Wednesday, said the Premier League's rules are "clear".

"For the Premier League, you have to have 13 outfield players available plus a goalkeeper," Rodgers said. "So there's enough clarity.

"It doesn't say you need all your cases to be Covid, you just need 13 players available.

"Every coach and manager wants to play. Not every Under-23 player is ready to play Premier League football."

I mean what Rodgers says is correct although I don't believe the rule regarding number of players applies if you don't have covid cases if you don't have any covid cases you are forced to name U23 players in your squads.

Conte is probably fuming because Spurs missed the chance to take on a seriously weakened Arsenal side they were missed 3 or 4 starting players and the back up players were also out. In the race for that top 4 spot getting that win over Arsenal would have been huge for them.

I think I agree more with Conte though the rule was put in place for a reason but it's getting a bit silly now games need to be played and Covid is part of life now unless your training ground is shut down in line with the health restrictions we shouldn't be calling off games for 2 or 3 Covid cases.

jsp

UEFA have said that venues will not be changed for Champions League games to allow unvaccinated players to travel.

Chelsea and Real Madrid have second round matches in France which currently doesn't allow anyone who's unvaccinated into the country meaning any players who don't have their vaccinations will not be able to travel for these ties.

Not sure if any other nations have similar rules but fair is fair vaccination is a choice and not having them comes with consequences.

Mr C

France rules are changing "soon" they didn't say how soon soon is though.

Not before I come back this weekend I doubt.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now