Christian Eriksen

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a great deal, we're bringing in a very good, hungry international player who is going to push current players into upping their game or getting dropped. It makes perfect sense to me.
I did read ETH has a new role planned for Bruno anyway.

Got people on here saying Mane is a brilliant cheap deal for Bayern at 35m, but also saying Eriksen is too old to take on a free for a year with an option. Same age.

Also people saying ETH probably doesn't even want him, yet when Ole didn't want DVDB and didn't play him, said the manager has control

They're very different 30 yr olds. One is at the top of his game and will slot straight in and the other hasn't had a good season in 4 years and has a medical condition and is coming in to sit on the bench and is the opposite of the young and hungry players who can push on to the next level we should be looking for.

in your opinion.

In my opinion he is the same age and 35m less than Mane, you cant say one is a bargain, and in the same breath say the other is too old. Especially when that one is free.

I get you love Bruno, to me he's a charlatan and I can't wait for Erikson to come in and show him how to play a team game. We need players to come in and push those players who have the attitude they they just need to turn up and their place is secure.

Don't think anyone is saying Eriksen is to old there's plenty of guys who've offered plenty to sides after they've turned 30.

The difference really is once a player starts to decline which Eriksen clearly has it's very rare does he suddenly get it all back together in his 30's.

Mane has been a key player in a side that's played in 3 CL finals in 5 seasons, won the league once, finished runner up twice and helped Senegal win the African Cup of Nations. That is why with 12 months left on his contract he can still demand £35m. Eriksen's career has been on a very different trajectory since that CL final appearance in 2019.

The only logic I can see for it is we've replaced Pogba/Mata/Lingard with 1 guy on a free who will likely earn a fraction of what they earned combined and cover all the minutes they played.

The Eriksen deal if he does come will probably be judged by me by what happens in the rest of the window if we go and land 4 others who are going straight into that starting XI and get rid of a few more duds I'd be happy.

Right now Eriksen signing gives me the same sort of buzz that I got when I saw we'd signed Lee Grant or Tom Heaton on a free.

From my albeit limited memory, mane and klopp fell out re: playing time, might even have been around last years CL final.

in your opinion.

In my opinion he is the same age and 35m less than Mane, you cant say one is a bargain, and in the same breath say the other is too old. Especially when that one is free.

I get you love Bruno, to me he's a charlatan and I can't wait for Erikson to come in and show him how to play a team game. We need players to come in and push those players who have the attitude they they just need to turn up and their place is secure.

Bruno isn't involved when comparing Mane and Erikson.

People weren't up on arms about Ronaldo being too old last summer but you wouldn't sign a 37 yr old Rooney. Mane looks in his physical pomp and has been playing that way. Erikson hasn't looked that way for 3 seasons. It's that simple.

There is a reason there are only two clubs in for him us and Brentford.

haha bit harsh mate

Just how I feel even at his best I don’t see him sorting out any of our midfield problems or how he sorts out our right side. Just another body for a role we’ve already got covered.

If he comes and we sell Van De Beek it makes sense but at the moment it’s a signing that doesn’t seem to solve any problems.

They're very different 30 yr olds. One is at the top of his game and will slot straight in and the other hasn't had a good season in 4 years and has a medical condition and is coming in to sit on the bench and is the opposite of the young and hungry players who can push on to the next level we should be looking for.
You can’t use his medical condition as a stick to beat him with. If he has been cleared by doctors then I wouldn’t even factor that into a conversation assessing his suitability.

I’ve made my thoughts on him clear in the thread and think he would be a good signing. Obviously not a massive one but who knows, he could surprise us all if he did arrive.

I know we have burned in the past by 30 somethings coming into the club with injury problems. However, this one has the potential to break the mould.

Just how I feel even at his best I don’t see him sorting out any of our midfield problems or how he sorts out our right side. Just another body for a role we’ve already got covered.

If he comes and we sell Van De Beek it makes sense but at the moment it’s a signing that doesn’t seem to solve any problems.
To your thinking that is. No way is Donny getting sold

16-17 48 games 12 goals
17-18 47 games 14 goals
18-19 51 games 10 goals
19-20 54 games 7 goals
20-21 34 games 4 goals
21-22 11 games 1 goal (missed 6 months of season due to heart issue)

Nothing about him says that he is still in his prime if anything he’s a player in decline.

I’m sure he will be viewed as a squad player rather than a starter but we need to be adding players to the squad who are improving our starting XI and this signing I don’t think does that.

Obviously I hope I’m wrong and if he comes he amazing.

Think he would be a good signing. He will add strength in depth following the departures of Pogba, Lingard and Mata. Two games per week due to the World Cup in December also a factor.

You can’t use his medical condition as a stick to beat him with. If he has been cleared by doctors then I wouldn’t even factor that into a conversation assessing his suitability.

I'm not beating him with it but you'd be ridiculously silly to not take it in to account.

You wouldn't buy a car that's just had a massive engine failure. You would be careful taking a player whose just had a torn Achilles and you'd be silly not to be wary of a player who will be taking heart medication for the rest of his life.

He missed 5 of 16 games for Brentford he obviously won't be available to play twice a week if Bruno gets injured.

It certainly isn't a signing to get excited by. He's a bench warmer that covers Mata leaving.

What are his assist stats? We know he's not a scorer.

What are his assist stats? We know he's not a scorer.

I told you the other day he's got 10 assist in the last 3 seasons.

But if you really want to believe he isn't on a downwards spiral here they are for the last 7 seasons in all comps.

4 (This season I'll accept he would have been on pace for 8. He only played half a season. But you've got to question why he missed 33% of games he was available for when he wasn't injured)

If you're running the free role in modern football you sort of need to be a scorer. De Bruyne isn't a scorer but he still chips in with 10+ a season.

I get you like Eriken but if he joins he is nothing more than a Europa League player that is taking minutes away from youngsters that should be playing. I thought we were about playing youth not signing 30 yr olds that stop them from getting minutes. And thought you liked our youth players getting minutes.

It's not that I like Erikson, I don't like Bruno. And his role is not under threat. Competion for him I think will good.
It's not like Eriksen is 30m, he's on a free, it's a no brainer to me.
I think he'd do well in this side. I just can't see the negative if this signing happens.

I'm not sure Brunos role isn't under threat. I mean look yes he's going to start early in the year but I'm not sure he's going to stay in the team. He doesn't fit 4-3-3 and if ETH wants to succeed then I think he needs to move to a 4-3-3.

I was reading that ETH has a new role planned for Bruno, and within it both Eriksen and Bruno, could, play.

Surely the threat to Bruno's position comes from VDB? Why add another card into the mix.

I don't undersand why you are so bothered that Bruno should ave competition for his place. It's a free signing, it's costing us nothing but wages.

I'm not sure Brunos role isn't under threat. I mean look yes he's going to start early in the year but I'm not sure he's going to stay in the team. He doesn't fit 4-3-3 and if ETH wants to succeed then I think he needs to move to a 4-3-3.

Course he fits in a 4-3-3. We've seen him fitting perfectly in a 4-3-3 on the right side of the 3. We just need a better DM than Fred or McT. There is very little difference between the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1. And Eriksen actually fits the 4-3-3 less because he doesn't have the work rate of Bruno.

As for Bruno having competition Eriksen isn't coming in as competition. If Eriksen was going to be competition for Bruno you'd see other clubs in the world in for him. Imagine the list of offers Bruno would have if he was available on a free. He wouldn't be sitting there wondering if he should sign for Brentford. As I've said all this Eriksen signing does is take away possible minutes for our youth players.

I don't undersand why you are so bothered that Bruno should ave competition for his place. It's a free signing, it's costing us nothing but wages.

I do think he has competition for his place he's got Van De Beek a guy we spent 40m on and played under the new manager. If we're playing 4-3-3 he's also got McTominay and Fred as they are both number 8's which is the role Bruno will have in that system. You've then got the younger players like Hanibal who might start pushing for a starting spot next season.

I want a lean squad one thing I strongly believed ripped the club apart last season was to many senior players not getting enough playing time the squad was huge and it meant unhappy players who naturally created a negative atmosphere within the dressing room which wasn't there before.

So as I keep stressing for Eriksen to come in I think one of the number 8's or number 10's needs to go.

I could get on board if Eriksen was a player who was still clearly at the top of his game but he isn't I've watched him play at various points over the last few years and he's not the player he was in 2018 which was probably the peak of his career.

Mctominay and Fred!!!! ffs these are the sort of players who should not be getting games. You don't want us to get a player in because we have McFred!

Mctominay and Fred!!!! ffs these are the sort of players who should not be getting games. You don't want us to get a player in because we have McFred!

I don't want us to bring in average players that don't improve our starting 11 for the sake of it because they're on a free.

I cannot stress it enough that the entire footballing world knows the rough level of Eriksen and his performances over the last 3 years and not a single Champions League club appears to be interested. He's on a free if he is still the player he was he'd have his choice of top clubs. He doesn't. No one is interested. Fred would garner more interest and that should highlight the level Erikson's currently at.

lets see what he brigs, if he arrives. No need to derek downer before he's even arrived is my opinion.

btw, don't remember any big clubs being after Bruno either

lets see what he brigs, if he arrives. No need to derek downer before he's even arrived is my opinion.

btw, don't remember any big clubs being after Bruno either

All the sudden there is no need to Derek downer things? You've been on our best players back all seasons and now you want to mention someone being a downer? As I said if he signs I hope i'm proved wrong but fans bring excited about this leaves me fuming. You're allowing the Glazers to continue with this nonsense and encouraging it. Eriksen should not be a player we are in for. Brentford should not be the team we are competing against for players.

Bruno wasn't on a free transfer. However City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid and Barca were in for him. Tottenham had a £40m bud rejected and it put everyone off You don't seriously think if Bruno was available on a free his only option would be Brentford?

Not that it matters because Eriksen is coming in to sit on the bench but of course bigger clubs would be interested in Bruno than are interested in Eriksen. One is in his prime the other is winding down his career looking for a bit of extra retirement cash as he knows his best days are behind him.

All the sudden there is no need to Derek downer things? You've been on our best players back all seasons
This just isn't true.

I have been on the back of all the players. I'm 52 years old, been supporting united all my life and never have I seen such a sorry, self obsessed. pathetic, lazy group of players. Blaming the world and the manager for their lack of effort. It's the worst side I have ever witnessed talent and attitude wise. Being the best player at man utd year 21-22 is not exactly a glowing reference.
I have said many times, I would sell pratically every player in that squad if an offer came in. Including Bruno. They have embarrassed themselves and the club.

I dont' get the idea that bringing in a player on the back of a pretty decent 6 months for a free should be shouted down. On last season, he starts above everyone at the club for me.

Players at the club I love should not have the attitude the current crop display on a regular basis.

Things need to change big time, in form and attitude for every player.

If Eriksen is a bench warmer then it's becasue others have upped their game. And that's the point of bringing players in. Improve those there already. Because on the last 6 months form, he starts at Man Utd.

Everyone is linked to everyone, no one else offered on Bruno. Everyone was linked to Gaitan or whatever his name was. It's what their agents do to get interest. He can't play in Italy, and I'm not sure if he can in Spain. Apparantly club doctors would never sign him off. So that leaves England. It's irrelevant that no big clubs are interested when he can't play for most of them.

No I'm saying you can't just keep adding players without getting rid of the ones who won't make it and Fred was actually good in the second half of the season when he was used as more of a number 8. McTominay personally I'd sell him tomorrow if we could I'm not convinced but these players are under contract and they are adequate squad players who realistically aren't going anywhere this summer.

I can see the plan 4-3-3 with De Jong in the middle then either side of him will be a combination McTominay/Fred/Bruno/VDB if we add Eriksen that is 5 players for 2 positions. The issue I see if none of those 5 can do the job De Jong does.

This is where Ole went wrong he kept adding and adding to that squad without clearing the space for the new players we can't fall into that trap again.

What we're really looking for is two quality centre mids to replace Matic and Pogba. I think De Jong ticks that box for me Eriksen doesn't because he's at his best in the final third of the pitch. We have players already who can do that job we need midfielders who can control the middle third of the pitch which is where we really struggle.

No I'm saying you can't just keep adding players without getting rid of the ones who won't make it
Whilst I agree with you on this to an extent the midfield is already light. And McTominay should be a squad player at most and Fred well I can see an argument either way. But I don't think United should hold back from signing 2 x CMs just because both are on the books. They've lost Pogba and Matic this summer.

Whilst I agree with you on this to an extent the midfield is already light. And McTominay should be a squad player at most and Fred well I can see an argument either way. But I don't think United should hold back from signing 2 x CMs just because both are on the books. They've lost Pogba and Matic this summer.

Overall it's light in numbers but really it's heavy on attacking midfielders the 5 players currently on the books are all attacking midfielders and it's light on defensive midfielders in that we don't actually have one.

It's like saying you own 5 pairs of shoes but you've got 9 left shoes and 1 right shoe. You don't own 5 pairs of shoes you own 1 pair of shoes and 8 other shoes.

You need the right blend of midfielders to make the midfield work.

Our midfield is desperate for a Carrick but instead we're buying a Kagawa this is my issue with the Eriksen signing.

It's another VDB to me we're signing a guy because we can not because he's what we actually need to get our midfield to work. On paper the midfield options last season where good but the issue was no combination of them actually worked as they were all kind of the same. They were like oil and water they just won't mix.

Overall it's light in numbers but really it's heavy on attacking midfielders the 5 players currently on the books are all attacking midfielders and it's light on defensive midfielders in that we don't actually have one.
I don't disagree with you there but ultimately they need to address that issue. They need to bring in a defensive midfielder and I think a midfielder who can play and link things. I'm not sure they have that kind of player right now hence the interest in De Jong.

If the Manager wants him, and there's every indication he does, and he's got a plan on how he's gonna use him it's good enough for me.

It's like saying you own 5 pairs of shoes but you've got 9 left shoes and 1 right shoe. You don't only 5 pairs of shoes you own 1 pair of shoes and 8 other shoes.
This blew my mind!

This blew my mind!
Talk about blowing minds, here's a very off subject one for you that I was told today which admittedly did blow mine a tad...

Put your hands out in front of you and make a sort of triangle shape with the opening of your hands and focus on an object in the distance, when you close your non dominant eye, you can still see the object, but when you shut your dominant eye the object disappears behind your hands.

I'm here all week lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back