Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayer Leverkusen - 17/9/2013

Very good defensive performance and was decent in possession & going forward. I would start him at right back against City.

Thought he was poor in possession to be honest. Very good defensively though. If Rafael is not ready for Sunday then stick with him, expect Dzeko will start and Smalling's aerial ability would be a help.

Liverpool - 25/9/2013

Excellent for much of the game, with a few iffy moments in the second half. I would like to see him start on Saturday and probably have an extended run in the heart of the defence.

Close call between him and Evans for me. I'd personally prefer Evans to be given a run.

Thought he played really well and is certainly better playing there than RB

Poland - 15/10/2013

Very good. We know his limitations as a full back but he didn't need to demonstrate an attacking side in such an open game. I really hope he is given an extended opportunity at centre back.

Stoke City - 26/10/2013

I'm sure he used to be a decent right back a couple of seasons ago, hopefully he wasn't played for height.

I am pretty sure he was played for his height. Really bad decision. Rafa is a much better right back, as is Valencia to be honest.

I'm sure he used to be a decent right back a couple of seasons ago, hopefully he wasn't played for height.

He did well at right back against Sociedad. I can understand his selection given his height and I don't think Rafael has yet to hit top form.

He did well at right back against Sociedad. I can understand his selection given his height and I don't think Rafael has yet to hit top form.

Cannot agree with that. Rafa may not have hit top form but he is a much better right back than Smalling. I Dont like having to play a big right back just because they have Peter Crouch up front. I did not see Smalling beat him in the air too much. For me when you have somebody up front who is as big as Crouch winning the first header is not as important as winning the second ball.

Cannot agree with that. Rafa may not have hit top form but he is a much better right back than Smalling. I Dont like having to play a big right back just because they have Peter Crouch up front. I did not see Smalling beat him in the air too much. For me when you have somebody up front who is as big as Crouch winning the first header is not as important as winning the second ball.

I don't disagree.

In the games Rafael has played this season, there is a difference compared to when Jones and Smalling are there. Not great form like everyone but still looked a lot better defensively with him in the side.

He also is much better than both going forward. I thought we had got past dropping him every time he has an average game. He is a really good full back and needs to be given full backing.

Arsenal - 10/11/2013

Monster. Defended brilliantly. He's got the necessary qualities to be a top top central defender.

This was my only worry before kick off, thought movement of Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey would beat him up. But he along with everyone today was superb.

One of his best games for us today and didnt do too badly when going forward either

Surprisingly good performance from him today. Our whole back line was impressive today and smalling very nearly the best of them.

Yeah he did well today. Good decision to keep him at RB when Vidic went off, I had a horrible feeling he was going to put Jones there. Credit where credit is due, I have given Moyes some stick this year but I thought his team selection, subs and tactics were good today.

We have Fabio ffs and we insist on playing a centre back there, Moyes should give an answer on this.

Long term i am not sure Fabio is good enough, but at least he is a proper fullback doing the things fullbacks do.

Smalling was excellent against Arsenal, he was the obvious choice with Rafael unavailable. I like Fabio, but is he becoming a better player the less he plays? Fergie, Redknapp and now Moyes have preferred other full backs.

Fabio's played in a CL final at RB and in my opinion didn't do anything wrong in the game he played against Palace at RB. Put in some top MotM performances there for QPR last season too, outstanding in the 1-0 win at Chelsea. I can understand Moyes preferring a left footer at LB but he's been underused and has more right to feel aggreived than Zaha now. His versatility is ideal for a bench place, better player than Buttner too.

Smalling's had a few good games at RB this season and in the past but he's had a few stinkers too. Awful against Stoke this season. Like him as a CB, don't rate him as highly as some do but a lot better there than at RB.

West Ham United - 21/12/2013

Was almost MOTM for me today.

Except for 2 dodgy passes, he did everything else to perfection

Nemanja Scholes, I mean Chris Smalling was immense. He passed like Scholes and defended like Vidic. Monster in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back