Chelsea Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well luckily for West Ham the Ref and his chums at VAR weren't idiots.

Expecting a few of you to 'out' as Chelsea fans anytime soon ....

Think there's only 1 person making an idiot of themselves over this issue.

Just got a real bee in my bonnet about the refs this season and I can take my Utd hat off when discussing other sides.

Think there's only 1 person making an idiot of themselves over this issue.

Just got a real bee in my bonnet about the refs this season and I can take my Utd hat off when discussing other sides.

No need whatsoever for that shit. I just have a different opinion that's all.

And well done @SuperRash, for liking the post, why am I not surprised.

referee-smiley-emoticon.gif

Please all remember to refrain from any petty name calling. DIfferences in opinion and healthy debate are always encouraged.

How long are we giving Potter? In their last 16 matches they've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 10. In those 16 matches they've scored a whopping 6 goals, and only managed one in their last 6 matches.

Annoyingly we don't play them until the 22nd of April, so they've likely sacked Potter or sorted themselves out by then.

EDIT: For reference: in our last 16 we've lost 1, drawn 3 and won 12, scoring 37. Interesting enough, counting back 16 matches brings us to the 3-0 home win v Bournemouth on Jan 3. For Chelsea, it's a 1-0 home defeat v Arsenal on Nov 6th.

It's looking harder to keep him as the fans are starting to turn

There's no real signs of any progress, the whole thing looks a mess.

Must be impossible for him to organise decent training sessions when there are 30 odd first team players kicking about they need a massive clear out this summer.

chelsea are just an awful club. It wasn't the best move for Potter

They remind me a lot of us last season to be honest.

A few windows where the signings haven't really worked the squad has got to bloated and they've kind of ended up drifting through a season.

They need to make some tough calls like we did last summer and probably allow a number of players to go.

I don't think Potter will survive that cull to be honest but this season is basically done for them so probably best to let him see it out and have a look at who's on the market in the summer.

Potter has been on a hiding to nothing really with the club buying all these players in. If he fails which he is doing at the moment, people are like how is he doing so bad with the money spent? But on the flip side if Chelsea were suddenly doing well, it would have been entirely put on spending so much money, more so than Potter doing anything.

Some of their new recruits have been average so far as well. Fernandez is not exactly looking like a £100m plus player.

he didn't look it during the world cup. Stupid to spend that on him.

If the owners are spending this much on the players, they're going to expect more than Potter is delivering at the moment, and aren't going to be shy about bringing in a big name manager to replace him.

Top 4 is gone for them this season, so league position doesn't really matter, unless they value the EL, and even then, it'd take a hell of a run to make that. There is something rotten about their squad/culture in the same way there was under Ole at the end and certainly under Rangnick. Either they back the manager and clear out the issues, like happened under ETH, or sack the manager and hope a new voice solves their issues. Traditionally, Chelsea have opted for the latter approach.

You would think the owner wants him to settle in as many of the new signings as possible with the remainder of this season being a right off.

Get players like Wesley Fofana, Enzo and Mudryk bedded in with the Style of football he wants play. Is he going to stick to a back 3 or ditch it? Thiago Silva is now injured for 6 weeks so maybe he tries to build a back 4. He has got to pick his XI and give it a run of 4 or 5 games to get into a team.

I imagine there’s a lot of players in that dressing room who are uncertain about their future given all the new arrivals. that is tough to manage and he probably needs a bit of help from the people above him to address that.

Is that what Boehly et al want? I’d have thought they brought in so many players in Jan to get them qualified for Europe, alongside squeezing as many new signings through the FFP loophole as possible.

I’d imagine Aubameyang isn’t particularly good for dressing room morale. From what I recall he had a reputation going back to his Dortmund days, which were sunshine and roses compared to his life with Chelsea.

There was no way they were making top 4 maybe they can crawl into the Europa with a good run but even that looks unlikely at this point. They're likely looking at Fulham and hoping they fall away so they can get up to 7th which I think is now a conference league place as we won the league cup.

It's easy to point a finger at Auba but he's come back to work with Tuchel who's then sacked straight away and he's then not in favour with the new manager, you can see why he'd be a bit fed up. I think the finger points in a lot of directions before it reaches him as the person to blame.

Sounds like there's a lot of players waiting on new deals and a lot of players who know the club want them out which is not what you want as a new manager. Reminds me a lot of us with Rangnick.

Potter gone.

They were dreadful yesterday.

No surprise, he couldn't step up to that next level

Think he picked the wrong club to take the step up with.

That place is a mess any manager would fail in the circumstances he came into.

Think he picked the wrong club to take the step up with.

That place is a mess any manager would fail in the circumstances he came into.
I think that’s the key point, he is clearly a good manager but he made the wrong call going to Chelsea. They are in a deep mess and they’ve tried to spend their way out of trouble - but it hasn’t worked yet.

I would think it may well be Nagelsmann - they will want a big name and now he’s available.

I think that’s the key point, he is clearly a good manager but he made the wrong call going to Chelsea. They are in a deep mess and they’ve tried to spend their way out of trouble - but it hasn’t worked yet.

I would think it may well be Nagelsmann - they will want a big name and now he’s available.

It was a response to the suggestion saying he couldn’t step up to the next level which I think is harsh. I felt like Arteta at Arsenal Chelsea had to show some backbone and ride it out. Let Potter clear out players in the summer and actually have a pre season to mould a team.

There are a lot of players who need to leave that club this summer.

Yeah I suspect it will be think a few of the Red Bull guys got jobs at Chelsea so he’s probably the target.

Luis Enrique is also on the market.

Is there evidence that Potter is actually a great coach? I mean, his old side haven't missed a beat since he's left and his new side were dreadful. Perhaps he was a product of the conditions at Brighton that didn't travel with him to Chelsea.

Evidence at Chelsea says he not. The club is poorly run, but they've got decent players and his results are terrible.
Just couldn't step up.

Evidence at Chelsea says he not. The club is poorly run, but they've got decent players and his results are terrible.
Just couldn't step up.

No one was making that Chelsea side work this season. You can't throw 1500 players together in a transfer window and expect it to work. The majority of which new to the league. None of which seemed like Potter signings.

You put Ancelloti or someone in there, their result will be better.

Potters win rate has been terrible, and they look terrible too. I think many managers would have made a better job of it. One of them being Tuchel! that sacking seems even more daft now.

I guess they've done this to beat Spurs to Naglesman.

Potter to Leicester is the rumour.

Is there evidence that Potter is actually a great coach? I mean, his old side haven't missed a beat since he's left and his new side were dreadful. Perhaps he was a product of the conditions at Brighton that didn't travel with him to Chelsea.

You could say what he left behind at Brighton was a well oiled machine that he was an important cog in, what Brighton did really well was nail the decision on his replacement. His impact at Brighton was huge they went from a backs to the walls cling on for survival team under Houghton to a team that played some of the best football in the league under Potter and were comfortably top half. He also did very well in Sweden before joining Brighton.

Just looks to me from the outside that any coach was destined to fail this season at Chelsea. The change at that club in the space of 6 months was huge owner, entire board, all the behind the scenes people, manager and a few players all gone. You then dump in a whole new group of people and no one really knows where they stand in the pecking order. When you make that much change in any business there's going to be massive disruption for a period of time but you have to hope that in the long run the change pays off.

To me his biggest problem was the fans just weren't having him from day one, when you are in that situation if you don't get off to a good start you are finished.

I said this about Ole when he was trying to manage a massive squad it's an impossible job when results turn. As every player starts whispering why's he playing ahead of me. You can't have that at a club and whoever comes in at Chelsea will need at least 10 players out the door this summer just like Utd did last summer.

Luis Enrique is apparently in London for talks.

The Atheltic reported that the squad at Chelsea is now so big that some players are changing in corridors at the training ground as they can't actually fit them all into the first team dressing room.

Just had a look and they have around 35 first teamers and then another 21 out on loan!

Surprised some aren’t having to change in the car park!

I mean you could probably tell some of them to work from home, imagine trying to put a training session on for 35 players.

Problem is when barely any players are in any sort of form it becomes very hard to pick a settled team.

There was a lot of chatter about the fee they paid for Enzo but when I've watched him he looks the real deal.

Ole just sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring

I guess Lampard will be a safe pair of hands for the rest of the season but it’s a real surprise they’ve gone back there.

I guess Lampard will be a safe pair of hands for the rest of the season but it’s a real surprise they’ve gone back there.
Well, he has not been a safe pair of hands in the past so it's a bit of a surprise comment from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back