Chelsea Discussion 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So big moves this summer again at Chelsea with the signing of Lukaku for just under £100m.

This has been offset by the departures of Tomori, Giroud and Abraham who've all moved to Italy in deals that will see them bank around £65m. This is what Chelsea seem to do better than the other clubs in England they really do move players on for decent fees none of these players really contributed anything last season for them but they banked big fees especially for Tomori and Abraham. Of that young academy revolution under Lampard it looks like Mount and James will be the only ones who really last the distance.

Suggestions are they're still in the market for a centre back Kounde from Sevilla seems to be the one they're linked with most heavily at the moment.

Seeing a lot of people tipping them to win the league this season personally I'm not yet convinced yes they did have a great defensive record after Tuchel took over but they did struggle to score and I'm not totally convinced Lukaku solves all those problems. Yes he did improve in Italy workin under Conte and I'm interested to see how Chelsea use him the key I think will be keeping their other attackers close to him and not allowing him to be isolated when the ball goes into the channels.

What can't be denied is they've got themselves a good manager, the money tap seems to be fully open again and as a result they've built a really solid looking squad stocked with plenty of talent if they can start picking up the points regularly vs the smaller sides they are going to be right up the top.

Looking good in the first few weeks of the season.

3 wins and 1 draw from the opening 4 games.

Lukaku has hit the ground running and looks to have settled straight into the side netting 3 in 3.

Fair to say Saul's debut didn't exactly go to play he was probably Villa's best player before he was subbed at half time.

Interesting comments from Tuchel yesterday relating to Ben Chilwell who's not played yet this season suggesting he's not really been himself since coming back and not playing a single minute at the euro's rocked his confidence a bit as he ended last season brilliantly.

Not sure anyone has looked the team to beat just yet think all of the top 4 from last season have impressed so far but Chelsea lost ground early last season under Lampard that doesn't look like it will happen this season.

I think the system they play really suits them the 3-4-3 gets the best out of those players but at some point someone will find the weakness in it and it's how they deal with that.

So far it seems to be pretty smooth sailing with Tuchel as well at previous clubs there's been tension between him and the board but so far he's not really had that.

We've not really seen how they react to a rocky patch under Tuchel yet.

For me if anyone finishes above Chelsea then they are champions. I can't see them finishing lower than 2nd.

Didn't see there game last night but the reporting was they were a bit lucky to get the win but I think that's a sign of a good side even at their best they can still see off a decent opponent.

Didn't see there game last night but the reporting was they were a bit lucky to get the win but I think that's a sign of a good side even at their best they can still see off a decent opponent.
You're quite right, they didn't play well. But at absolutely no point did they look like they were going to be broken at the back

You're quite right, they didn't play well. But at absolutely no point did they look like they were going to be broken at the back

Didn't Zenit miss a great chance right at the end?

That is kind of what Chelsea are though they play a very defensive formation it's 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and 2 holding midfield players. The wing backs obviously get forward to help the attacking players but very rarely will Chelsea not have at least 4 maybe even 5 players behind the ball.

They play that system very well all the pieces seem to fit in perfectly now they've got Lukaku in that front 3 and there's also great quality on the bench.

We'll finish above Chelsea just like we did last year. Ole will get criticised for it and people will bang on about Chelsea because Tuchel will get sacked and they'll get another shiney new manager that people want.

We'll finish above Chelsea just like we did last year. Ole will get criticised for it and people will bang on about Chelsea because Tuchel will get sacked and they'll get another shiney new manager that people want.

Based on all the evidence since Tuchel took over at Chelsea I think that's a very bold claim to make.

You can never rule out a total meltdown at Chelsea but they look like they're on a roll just like Liverpool were under Klopp but we have to wait and see how they handle a set back when it comes because it will come so far it's all been pretty smooth sailing for them under Tuchel.

It's still far to early to judge where everyone will be in May so much can happen but based on the first few games of the season it would be mad to suggest that Utd look a better side than Chelsea but seasons are played over 38 games not 4.

Based on all the evidence since Tuchel took over Chelsea have taken 3 points more than us in the league and we dropped some silly points once second was assured whereas they had to play up until the last game of the season to assure themselves of top 4.

Based on all the evidence since Tuchel took over Chelsea have taken 3 points more than us in the league and we dropped some silly points once second was assured whereas they had to play up until the last game of the season to assure themselves of top 4.

They also won the European Cup in a pretty convincing manner and got to the FA cup final which they lost to a decent Leicester side on the day in a close game.

I can only call it as I see it to me Chelsea look like a great team all the pieces fit together and they can make changes and the team still seems to function because I think players understand the role they are given and if they follow it then it works, whereas Utd still look like great players but they haven't quite been gelled into a great team yet.

We're bedding in 3 new starting players they're bedding in 1 so you'd expect them to look a bit smoother at the start of the season we still look like we're working out where all the pieces go. This was the exact problem that Chelsea had under Lampard he had all the right pieces he just didn't know where to put them and that eventually cost him his job.

If so, he'll have led them to be European Champions in his short stay

So did Di Matteo. Let's go get him.

There was a massive difference between how Di Matteo's Chelsea won the European Cup and how Tuchel's side won it.

Di Matteo's side were probably the luckiest winners of that trophy in history not trying to knock them but how they won the tie vs Barcelona and managed to get to penalties against Bayern was incredibly lucky.

It was no surprise when they fell apart the following season and Di Matteo's career in management fizzled out.

Like it or not Tuchel did a good job at Dortmund and PSG now he's doing a good job at Chelsea so it's pretty reasonable to say that based on his record he is a good manager. Last 2 seasons he's taken a side to the CL final won one and lost one in two pretty tight games.

Didn't Zenit miss a great chance right at the end?

That is kind of what Chelsea are though they play a very defensive formation it's 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and 2 holding midfield players. The wing backs obviously get forward to help the attacking players but very rarely will Chelsea not have at least 4 maybe even 5 players behind the ball.

They play that system very well all the pieces seem to fit in perfectly now they've got Lukaku in that front 3 and there's also great quality on the bench.
Disagree on a point, think Martial far surpasses
Lukaku on that front.

Based on all the evidence since Tuchel took over at Chelsea I think that's a very bold claim to make.

You can never rule out a total meltdown at Chelsea but they look like they're on a roll just like Liverpool were under Klopp but we have to wait and see how they handle a set back when it comes because it will come so far it's all been pretty smooth sailing for them under Tuchel.

It's still far to early to judge where everyone will be in May so much can happen but based on the first few games of the season it would be mad to suggest that Utd look a better side than Chelsea but seasons are played over 38 games not 4.
I'm not looking forward to playing Chelsea.

Someone broke into Reece James house while he was playing the other night and stole a safe which contained his CL winners medal and Euro 2020 runners up medal.

Absolute low lives that do this sort of stuff lets hope they are caught.

Strong performance again from Chelsea brushed Spurs away 3-0 after a tough start where Spurs did give them a few problems they absolutely ripped them apart second half.

Joint top having had 3 tricky away games in the first 5.

They seem to be on a role.

by some accounts, it's more how terrible Spurs were than how good Chelsea were.

But regardless of that, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Chelsea will be the team to beat.

Spurs had a good start but after 30 minutes Chelsea took over and Spurs fell to bits you could even suggest they gave up as soon as they went 1-0 down.

I think people are really jumping on the bandwagon about Chelsea a bit here. These versions of Arsenal and Spurs aren't scary fixtures. They got a draw at Anfield which is a great result considering they had 10 men. But Chelsea have looked poor in a few games. They won both 3-0 but Villa and Spurs were the better sides for large periods. Especially the Villa game it's unbelievable that finished 3-0 and was only because of lapses in concentration from the Villa defence and then pushing on and getting caught. What Chelsea are good at though is once they get 1-0 up they know how to see a game out.

Think what people are doing is rightfully praising a team that's made an impressive start to the season which mirrors the end to last season.

Fair to say in two of the games they have had tough first halfs but the manager in both games made a change that resulted in comfortable wins in the premier league you are always going to have points in games where the opponent is on top of you and you'll need to see out that threat.

Spurs for 30 minutes caused a few problems but Chelsea weren't being ripped apart and clinging on they handled what was thrown at them then took control.

Still way to early to say they've got one hand on the trophy but they look like they'll be right in the mix this season.

Definitely I think they are the favourites at the moment. Liverpool have a problem with squad depth. City will be up there but maybe a lack of striker will bite them. Which is why I have Chelsea as the favourites.

Think the bookies still have City as the favourites but it could be a very exciting season if these 4 can all stay in the race.

Not been many titles races in the last decade in the prem most of the time the front runner has got clear and won it with games to spare maybe this year we could see 3 or 4 sides actually fight it our right to the end.

I'm not sure how people can say that people are jumping on the Chelsea bandwagon... It is pretty clear they are the most complete team in the league at this point. Let's not just look at their games here. Everyone expected them to be strong coming in to the year and they are currently top on goal difference. That is despite having gone away to Liverpool and played with 10 men. That's despite going away to Spurs and winning comfortably. Spurs may have been bad on the day but a lot of a title challenge comes down to when you play teams.

The results look great. But the performances don't match the results and it's wrong to highlight that?

I mean they were getting praised on Tuesday for a game in which they managed two shots and were very poor.

City are still favourites for me. De Bruyne comes back in and makes them a different side.

As I've said elsewhere I think they'll finish 3rd and nothing I've seen has changed my opinion on that. People are caught up in the Tuchel hype at the moment. It happens.

you could say the same about united, their results haven't exactly told the full story.

To be honest between Utd, City, Liverpool and Chelsea any of them could finish anywhere between 1st and 4th this season and you wouldn't be that shocked.

None of them stand out as an unstoppable force that is going to run away and get well over 90 points this season.

What we haven't really seen yet is a side that's worked Chelsea out I certainly think you can blunt there attack quite easily but it seems hard to create chances against them as they play such a defensive system and they're very good at it.

Maybe we'll see the true test of their credentials when they go behind in a game this season can they come back from a losing position?

The results look great. But the performances don't match the results and it's wrong to highlight that?
So they've not played brilliantly but they are joint top of the league with the best GD. And that's despite already playing Liverpool away, Spurs away and having played Arsenal. Look Arsenal aren't good these days but I wouldn't be surprised to see teams drop points to them either. Chelsea still have more to offer and in my opinion have the most complete squad. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I think they are the team to beat.

I mean they were getting praised on Tuesday for a game in which they managed two shots and were very poor.

City are still favourites for me. De Bruyne comes back in and makes them a different side.

As I've said elsewhere I think they'll finish 3rd and nothing I've seen has changed my opinion on that. People are caught up in the Tuchel hype at the moment. It happens.
I would argue it’s more impressive that they are top of the table and not particularly been playing that well. They showed at the back end of last season what they can do under Tuchel - so they are not at full pelt yet this season but if they do notch it up a level then they will be very tough to beat this season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back