Sideshow Bob

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png
V
150px-PFK_CSKA_Logo.svg.png

Tuesday, 5th December 2017
Champions League, Group A
Old Trafford
19:45 GMT

Tricky one to call line up wise we have the derby at the weekend and only a crushing defeat sees us go out.

I guess Darmian will come in as one full back and either Shaw or Blind on the other side, Pogba will obviously start now maybe give Matic a night off after he rushed back from injury.

Romero

Darmian Lindelof Smalling Shaw

McTominay Herrera Pogba

Mata Zlatan Rashford

That side should be good enough to beat a fairly average Moscow side at home but this should’ve been job done vs Basel.

Hard to say any different to that side you've put out JSP. I'd like to see Zlatan get a start and get some minutes because there's alot of games in this month and rotating to keep players fresh is vital. I dont think Shaw will play, I'd go Blind instead of him. The writing is on the wall for the kid and I cant see Jose giving him another chance. Shame that we couldn't have wrapped this up in Switzerland so Tuanzebe could have got some game time as well.

Mourinho confirms Zlatan will miss the game as part of his recovery he’s showing signs of fatigue so they’re not taking any risks.

Romero
Darmian Smalling Tuanzebe (throwing one out there lol) Blind
McTominey Pogba
Mata Miki Rashford
Lukaku

See Jones is back training, could be a big plus on Sunday, I think he will play Lukaku try and get him a goal and a bit of confidence before Sunday

The thought of Phil Jones being anywhere near Aguero haunts me.

Would be nice to see Tuenzebe get a game not sure he'd put him at centre back maybe he's got a chance at right back.

This game just annoys me because it shouldn't even matter if these divs had just player properly in the 2nd half in Basel.

The thought of Phil Jones being anywhere near Aguero haunts me.

Would be nice to see Tuenzebe get a game not sure he'd put him at centre back maybe he's got a chance at right back.

This game just annoys me because it shouldn't even matter if these divs had just player properly in the 2nd half in Basel.
It still doesn't matter. For us to come 3rd in the group we need to lose by 7 goals and we need to lose by 5 goals not to win the group. So we have as good as qualified as toppers barring a complete collapse.

It still doesn't matter. For us to come 3rd in the group we need to lose by 7 goals and we need to lose by 5 goals not to win the group. So we have as good as qualified as toppers barring a complete collapse.

Yeah I know but still doesn't excuse the performance in that 2nd half vs Basel, I think it not being 100% sorted means we need to go semi strong when we could've put out a complete reserve.

I'd like to see them go 4-3-3 give Tuenzebe a run at right back and put Mctominay in midfield maybe get one of the youngsters like Mitchell or Gomes on the bench to see if we can give them 10-15 minutes at the end. Maybe even give James Wilson a chance to sit on the bench.

Shaw should obviously play but I wonder if the club are trying to avoid him getting cup tied in Europe just in case they can sell him in January he's doing nothing at the moment and either needs to be sold or sent on loan for the 2nd half of the season.

Matic confirmed as out & Pogba will start because of his ban.

Mourinho mentioned Shaw in his press conference but didn't confirm if he will start or be on the bench but said he's worked towards getting his chance and it will come soon, reading between the lines on that I'd say he'll be on the bench.

Romero will start in goal with Periera on the bench. De Gea has the evening off.

Matic confirmed as out & Pogba will start because of his ban.

Mourinho mentioned Shaw in his press conference but didn't confirm if he will start or be on the bench but said he's worked towards getting his chance and it will come soon, reading between the lines on that I'd say he'll be on the bench.

Romero will start in goal with Periera on the bench. De Gea has the evening off.
To flirt with Real Madrid!

To flirt with Real Madrid!

That stuff has gone very quiet recently, a little bit too quiet if you ask me. Haha!

Word is they're close to a deal to sign the Bilbao keeper and the purse strings at Madrid have had to be tightened a bit while they redevelop the stadium as they don't want to borrow fortunes to do it. I'm more worried about them coming sniffing around Pogba that one feels very inevitable at some point in the near future Madrid or PSG are coming for him.

Yeah its strange this year because if you finish top you avoid Barca/PSG but could still get Juve/Munich/Madrid or A Madrid, as one of the lads says we need to lose by 5 to finish 2nd thats on the assumption Basal win in Portugal so I personally wouldn't play anyone who is starting on Sunday with the exception of Lukaku who needs a goal.

I prefer Tuanzebe at centre half as his natural and best position but obviously he hasn't played there yet for the senior side, I would play him CB but he will maybe go with Blind next to Smalling with Darmian/Shaw as the full backs.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shaw starts!
Blind in midfield!

Madness.

Ah yeah that makes sense now, just the way it looked on twitter made it seem like Blind in midfield. BBC are suggesting it’s 3-5-2.

Rashford really should have put us 1 up there.

Yep got to be clinical at this level we learned that the hard way in Basel it was his weaker foot but should be taking chances like that.

The build up for that Luke Shaw volley was absolutely delightful.

0-1 sloppy defending by Smalling plays winger onside.

Not offside for the goal Blind was off the pitch but this counts as being on the line so he plays Dzagoev onside.

Shaw has been a bright spark but Mata, Lukaku & Rashford all struggling.

1-0 down at half time. We’ve done okay with Shaw looked good but disappointing to be behind.

Not offside for the goal Blind was off the pitch but this counts as being on the line so he plays Dzagoev onside.

I think you can really see the difference between Martial and Rashford in games like this. Martial is a superb finisher where as Rashford snatches at chances and doesn’t look as cool. Rashford is obviously a talent but in most facets Martial is clearly the superior player.

When did that rule change?

I think you can really see the difference between Martial and Rashford in games like this. Martial is a superb finisher where as Rashford snatches at chances and doesn’t look as cool. Rashford is obviously a talent but in most facets Martial is clearly the superior player.

I think Rashford confidence has dipped a little but his all round game is still a bit behind Martial’s who is older and has played more games.

It’s embarrassing that pundits and commentators who are paid good money don’t know the rules on this offside there is no controversy the rules are very clear and as paid professionals they should know it and BT should have someone correcting them through the ear piece.

I think this game and Basel shows we’ve still got a way to go in Europe not clinical enough up front and have lapses at the back I know changes have been made but still a lot of first team regulars out there.

When did that rule change?

Not sure but I’ve always known that as the rule don’t think it’s a very recent change.

If you are off receiving treatment you don’t count but if you slide or step off the pitch without refs permission you are deemed part of the play and therefore active as far as offsides.

Herrera just came off - I wasn't aware he was on the pitch until then.

Match day thread closed.

Please use existing Player Match Discussion threads or create new threads to discuss talking points in the Manchester United forum: Manchester United (link to Manchester United forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back