Champions League 2021/22: Villareal vs Man Utd 23rd Nov 17.45 KO (EARLY KO)

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Not sure why this game is an early kick off seems like a pain in the backside for the fans of both sides normally the early games are out in eastern europe where the timezone difference becomes an issue.

Anyway Utd will line up with a new(ish) man in the dugout as Micheal Carrick takes charge for this one.

In terms of injury news Luke Shaw I assume will be ruled out due to concussion protocol having gone off for the second league game in a row due to a blow to the head under the rules I assume he will not be allowed to play for 7 days. Greenwood missed the game on Saturday with Covid so assume he won't be travelling with the team and not sure if Cavani is fit either.

I guess the big question for Carrick is does he try to change something or does he stick with the current system and just hope he gets a reaction from the players as they know part of the reason Ole has lost his job is their own failures.

DDG

AWB Lindelof Bailly Telles

VDB Fred

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Ronaldo

I don't think he should start Maguire he's banned vs Chelsea so I think he needs to play Bailly and Lindelof together, VDB surely has to start he was good vs Watford and the form of the other midfielders rules them out. If Matic wasn't 100 years old I'd be starting him too but he's not going to do 2 games in 4 days. Up top think it kind of picks itself I'd consider dropping Bruno for Lingard but given what he did on social media last week not sure I really want to see Lingard in a Utd shirt again that was either pure stupidity or a very big dig at his own club.

I've been saying it for weeks, I'd be dropping Bruno, big shout for your first game though

I do wonder if Lingard's little social media post cost him the starting spot on Saturday.

No matter what the intent if I was Ole I'd be seriously p*ssed off about it I probably wouldn't have even put him on the bench. Posting a picture of yourself in the West Ham kit the day after it's announced contract talks have broken down is stupid and Lingard knows how the social media game works that was a come and get me plea.

If he hadn't done that I'd have no issue with him starting Bruno hasn't been playing well so he shouldn't be guaranteed his starting spot in every game. He is held up to a very high standard because we know how good he can be but I think he's one that Ole should have taken out of the team at some point again probably for his own good.

I know post game when the players and Ole went to the away fans he tried to gesture to the fans that they should blame the players not the manager but I'm sorry Bruno you don't get to decide who we are angry with and believe me keep playing like this under Carrick and they'll be coming for you next.

Yeah the story was true. As JSP said the other day it was an Instrgram story so it disappears after 24 hours.

is that story true? I can't see any evidence of it.

100% true mate it was an instagram story so it only lasts a few hours then dissapears.

West Ham posted a goal on their account against Wolves (he scored against them last season) along with a photo of him doing his J-Lingz celebration in the West Ham shirt. He re-posted that through his own account and it wasn't taken down.

I don't know if it was intended as a dig at Ole or the club but whatever it was it was stupid and Utd fans won't be happy with it even though I think most would agree he's not been given a fair crack this season you just don't do that.

Yeah I'm a bit to young to remember the Ince one but the timing of it is what sticks for me.

Doing it the day after it's pretty much been made public that you've said you want to leave the club isn't exactly being respectful to the fans of your current club who've been pretty supportive of him.

Also, needs to remember it was his decision to stay in the summer even though everyone could see a move to West Ham would make perfect sense after that loan spell.

Think i've worked out why we're on the early kick off slot.

Spain have 5 teams in CL this season and 3 of them are playing tomorrow which means because of the way the TV contract works one game gets bumped to the early slot.

I'm guessing Villareal will get the lowest viewing figures domestically so they've been bumped down to the early slot with Sevilla and Barca at 8pm.

I don't expect to see any change in personnel or style considering its the same coaching staff.

Yeah Carrick will have been part of the planning for this game I can't see him trying anything to radical.

Maguire has fronted up to the press today so he's nailed on to start now so fully expect it'll be the 4-2-3-1 system and it'll just come down to which players he wants to put in.

I haven't actually seen any injury news reported from the press conference today but we know Varane and Pogba are out and I assume Shaw, Cavani and Greenwood will also be out.

Yeah Carrick will have been part of the planning for this game I can't see him trying anything to radical.

Maguire has fronted up to the press today so he's nailed on to start now so fully expect it'll be the 4-2-3-1 system and it'll just come down to which players he wants to put in.

I haven't actually seen any injury news reported from the press conference today but we know Varane and Pogba are out and I assume Shaw, Cavani and Greenwood will also be out.
Did he say anything interesting? Nevermind: I see it in the Maguire performance thread.

I'll no doubt snap out of it come match-time but at the minute a teeny weeny part of me wants United to lose tonight to put our chance of qualifying for the next phase at risk and give the Ole outers something else to moan about.

We're in this position in the group because of Ole, I can't see the same coaching team changing anything.
The only hope is the players respond

I'll no doubt snap out of it come match-time but at the minute a teeny weeny part of me wants United to lose tonight to put our chance of qualifying for the next phase at risk and give the Ole outers something else to moan about.

If you're even having thoughts like that then I'd just chuck the towel in on supporting Utd.

Managers and players will come and go but you should support the club and want them to win and given the situation another former player is now in I hope he can get them a win tonight and the club can sort out a manager before Chelsea.

If you're even having thoughts like that then I'd just chuck the towel in on supporting Utd.

Managers and players will come and go but you should support the club and want them to win and given the situation another former player is now in I hope he can get them a win tonight and the club can sort out a manager before Chelsea.

You'd think so wouldn't you yet i've seen 100's and 100's of post on various forums wanting Ole to lose matches all season.

Bailly and Maguire should be the central defenders. Need to give Bailly some minutes ahead of Chelsea and well Maguire is the captain. Lindelof can have a rest as if he gets injured it’s Phil Jones against Chelsea!

VDB must start. If not then Carrick OUT!

I have a feeling we will win this and Chelsea. Carrick will be given a monster five year deal, then three years down the line we will be baying for blood and hoping Poch wants to come.

You'd think so wouldn't you yet i've seen 100's and 100's of post on various forums wanting Ole to lose matches all season.

And every single one of them can do one too.

Don't join them now the shoe is on the other foot.

These people are not Man Utd fans the only acceptable time to want Utd to lose a match is if it stops Liverpool/Leeds/City winning the title :p

If I'm honest I couldn't really care for tonights game. Maybe I will do come 5pm but at the moment with it being a 5:30 kick off. Ole gone and nothing actually changing with the backroom staff it just seems a bit meh.

0-0 draw and we can all celebrate Ole is gone.

And every single one of them can do one too.

Don't join them now the shoe is on the other foot.

These people are not Man Utd fans the only acceptable time to want Utd to lose a match is if it stops Liverpool/Leeds/City winning the title :p

Is the correct answer.

If I'm honest I couldn't really care for tonights game. Maybe I will do come 5pm but at the moment with it being a 5:30 kick off. Ole gone and nothing actually changing with the backroom staff it just seems a bit meh.

0-0 draw and we can all celebrate Ole is gone.

0-0 and we might find ourselves in the Europa League again unless Young Boys beat Atalanta. They won't.

We'd still go through if we beat Young Boys in the final game. Villareal and Atalanta can't both take 3 points in their final match.

We'd still go through if we beat Young Boys in the final game. Villareal and Atalanta can't both take 3 points in their final match.

Yeah I know, if we win tonight in Spain and qualify i'd expect us to humiliate Young Boys at home in the last match, but if we need a result and don't get an early goal it will be a nerve shredding night, and we've got form over many a year for getting it horribly wrong.

Think we just need to avoid defeat tonight to be honest we're in a mess the club should have made the change during the international window but didn't have the bottle to do it.

Leaving Carrick in charge is the only really option what else could they do they couldn't keep letting Ole carry on.

They ripped us apart in the first game Danjuma ran rings around Dalot and we should have been 3-0 down by half time.

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

McT Donny

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Ronaldo

Travelling Squad

David de Gea, Dean Henderson, Tom Heaton, Lee Grant*, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones*, Diogo Dalot, Alex Telles, Scott McTominay, Bruno Fernandes, Fred, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic, Donny van de Beek, Jesse Lingard, Amad, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Cristiano Ronaldo, Anthony Martial.

*Jones and Grant aren't in United's Champions League squad so can't play in the game.

Bit strange that Jones and Grant are travelling with the squad when they can't even play?

No Shaw or Cavani.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure what McTominay has to do to get dropped!

Bruno definitely needed a kick up the backside, hopefully this shows he isn’t beyond being dropped. Really hope VDB and Sancho have good games.

Not entirely sure why we wouldn’t start Bailly - he needs game ahead of Chelsea.

Bruno needed dropping as I've been saying for weeks, but I would have played Lingard, perhaps that Insta post mentioned on here has seen him done.

And I would have had Donny in for Mctom

Bruno as an assist in every champions league game so far and has created more chances than any other player in the competition.

Bruno as an assist in every champions league game so far and has created more chances than any other player in the competition.

You know that saying you can prove anything with stats?

I really feel that applies to Bruno lately because his all round performances haven’t been good and I don’t think he can have to many complaints about being dropped.

Plenty of early chances for Villareal.

Looks like a bit of a 4-4-2 full backs definitely not getting forward trying to stay in shape more and not get pulled apart.

Not created anything so far they’ve created a few chances though.

You know that saying you can prove anything with stats?

I really feel that applies to Bruno lately because his all round performances haven’t been good and I don’t think he can have to many complaints about being dropped.

Plenty of early chances for Villareal.

This side lacks any creativity without him we've created half a chance.

You can say he's been poor but he's still the only one setting up chances.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back