Champions League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Atletico Madrid - Tue 15th Mar 8pm KO

So disappointing. I didn’t for one minute think we would win the CL but was confident for tonight. It’s the hope that kills ya!

United were poor.

But that ref should never ref a game of football at this level again.

Was worse than boxing judges.
The little episode towards the end was comical. Dalot goes down but play on (after stopping the game for Atletico for the same thing moments before). Ball then goes out of play but no signal. Varane eventually clears to the half way line and then he indicates a goal kick. He was clueless.

So disappointing. I didn’t for one minute think we would win the CL but was confident for tonight. It’s the hope that kills ya!
I just don't think you've got the structure or the quality. On paper sure but on paper people think Rashford is good. On paper Pogba is world class.

Just two yellow cards for them, they all should have had one! Bizarre reffing performance.

We fell into the trap and played into their hands The ref could have helped with a few yellow cards to stop the niggling fouls but we allowed them to frustrate us and lose focus.

The ref did lose control but we created 1 chance in the second half off a set piece there just wasn’t enough quality performances tonight plenty of effort but the ability just not there.

our subs made us worse ended up all out of shape Rashford shouldn’t be seen again this season enough is enough now with that situation It is painful to watch.

Next season.

New manager, new coaches and new players required.

The board cannot mess it up again whoever they pick next needs 2-3 years to rebuild that squad.

I thought the subs totally stunted our play and structure of the team tonight. In the end we were just lumping on attackers and hoping for the best. We looked more cohesive with Fred and McT in the middle.

Pogba, Cavani and Rashford couldn’t have been worse in their cameos. Matic was decent and Mata did smack into an Atleti player which was heart warming.

Just so poor.

I thought the subs totally stunted our play and structure of the team tonight. In the end we were just lumping on attackers and hoping for the best. We looked more cohesive with Fred and McT in the middle.

Pogba, Cavani and Rashford couldn’t have been worse in their cameos. Matic was decent and Mata did smack into an Atleti player which was heart warming.

Just so poor.

Think Bruno and McT were planned subs they missed the last game so probably fitness issues and Pogba and Matic are good enough replacements.

Rashford for Elanga made no sense to me just gamble on Elanga coming up with something.

Cavani for Fred was rolling the dice and Mata for Maguire was proper kitchen sink stuff.

I think he should have made 2 for the 2 lads who probably weren’t fully fit then chucked the rest on for the last 5.

We are a one trick pony in the 'get it wide and cross into box' approach to attacking, which is what I woukd expect Atleti wanted us to do. We have no guile in and around the area, considering the talent of our players. You just knew we wouldn't score as the game went on.

The ref was simply ridiculous, poor decisions and didn't address the Atleti shithousery.

The goal showed again how readily our defence gets pulled out of shape, and how we don't defend as a team. McTominay and Elanga not tracking back and leaving Dalot to mark three players was shocking. Just poor at snuffing out danger.

We are a club in decay, owners only care for dividends not the club, delapidated stadium, poor squad of players. It could be 3-5 yeats before we are back in the Champions League and even more before we are in a position to challenge for the title. I have no trust in the board to have a plan and make the right managerial appointment. We are in need of a complete reset. I no longer have any hope in the club, somebody tell me it will all be alright.

First half we were pretty good, had like 60% of the ball, created a few good chances, Fred a Brazilian moment of sublime skill. Second half we couldn't unlock their low block. They camped around their box and we didn't have any overlapping runs to break through. It was very LVG-esque.

The sad fact is we just aren't a very good team, not when held to the standards of the CL or to the title challengers. We are currently looking like a 6th or 7th place team in the PL, one that would not normally get to play CL football at all.

The Athletic had an article talking about how the Glazers are exploring modernizing Old Trafford, plans may include razing the whole site, and investing a billion pounds in a new design. If the Glazers are openly discussing such things, I think it means they understand they will have to invest in players too. They've bled the club for 15 years and maybe now will pump some cash back into it. What they saw today couldn't have been inspiring.

we down tools far too quickly. Im friendly with an ex red and he said if anyone even slightly downed tools in a game they were in for it. not just from keano and sir alex but from everyone. and was just forgotten about after the game they got punished in training that week. Players have no fear no more. There are no leaders. There is no pride. A quick pay cheque and some fame and they are happy.

Think United should seriously consider suing UEFA for appointing such an incompetent buffoon for such an important game. I cry fix.

Definite sign of the times. I was encouraged by them actually being up for it and putting in some effort. There's been far too many games when too many players haven't seemed to care, but not last night. Ignoring talent, or lack of it, the first task for the new manager is to get rid of the shirkers and build a team around those who'll work hard for 90 minutes in every game. We probably won't be challenging for the title any time soon but we're better than the likes of West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal so top four is a reasonable ask.

There's at least 1, 2 or 3 years for the new guy to really sort this out and compete for a title and that assumes he's the right guy if we get the appointment wrong again it'll be 4, 5 or 6. We are now in that spiral/period as a club where it's a really long road back that requires time. I could neve see a title winning side growing under Mourinho or Ole despite both managing to finish second the next guy has got to be given time to build a team and he can't afford to make the mistakes that sent us backwards like those two did.

Since 2011 when Utd reached the final we have only won 2 Champions League knockout ties Olympiacos under Moyes and PSG under Ole. We've been miles off the standard at this level for a very long time.

From the 60th minute to the final whistle the ball was in play for 11 min 19 seconds.

Time to move to a 60 min game with a stop clock.

From the 60th minute to the final whistle the ball was in play for 11 min 19 seconds.

Time to move to a 60 min game with a stop clock.

I can't get on board with that with a stop clock system teams will still break up the game and disrupt the flow it will take ages to play out the last 10 minutes just like it does in American sports where they stop the game constantly at the end. Once the game stops coaches will be on to give instruction it is the worst thing that could happen to football. The only time I think they should stop the clock is for VAR reviews and serious injuries where doctors and medics come on.

All that needs to happen is refs need to clamp down on teams who use these tactics use your warnings, dish out cards and add on loads of extra time. This is where it went wrong last night the ref fell into the trap laid by Atletico.

Maguire for me as captain had to go and speak to the ref last night. I didn't catch him doing it once as captain you need to go and have a calm word with him to explain your frustration, make sure the time is added on and that cards are dished out. There's a real art to doing this in a way that doesn't come across as a moan but it has to be done.

Utd could have played until Christmas and not scored anyway.

That game was lost because the subs killed us when we changed shape after Cavani came on for Fred we were an absolute mess and it got worse with Mata on for Maguire. There was nothing clever about it was just a roll of the dice by a desperate man but it was probably his only option at that point just chuck players on and pray something came off.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back