Champions League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Atletico Madrid - Tue 15th Mar 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So this is probably now the most important game of the season the last chance of any silverware no matter how small a chance is still there.

Haven't seen any early team news but we know Shaw missed the last match with Covid, Bruno was reported as illness rather than Covid and McTominay missed the game with a calf injury.

So Utd are a little bit short of numbers in midfeld positions can Matic realistically be expected to go again?

Rashford is so badly out of form it almost feels negligent to play him but it's a big gamble sticking Elanga into a game like this.

You do wonder if they might change the formation and look to play with Ronaldo and Cavani up top like they did vs Spurs earlier in the season problem with that idea is where can you play Sancho who's been our best player in 2022.

There's a long gap after this to our next game it's 3 weeks before our next league game due to the FA Cup/International breaks so Utd need to throw everything at this one to try and get through.

At this level games are won and lost in midfield Utd can't afford to lose the midfield battle again like we did away from home we have to find some aggression and keep the ball to expose a pretty weak defence.

DDG

Dalot Varane Maguire Telles

Pogba Matic Fred

Elanga Ronaldo Sancho

So this is probably now the most important game of the season the last chance of any silverware
:D

Going to be a tough game this, but hopefully at home we should nick it. Bruno and Shaw?

DDG

Dalot
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw/Telles depending on Covid

Pogba
Fred
Mctom ( I assume he was rested for this match)

Rashford
Ronaldo
Sancho

:D

Going to be a tough game this, but hopefully at home we should nick it. Bruno and Shaw?

DDG

Dalot
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw/Telles depending on Covid

Pogba
Fred
Mctom ( I assume he was rested for this match)

Rashford
Ronaldo
Sancho

Shaw Covid
Bruno illness
McTominay calf injury.

To be honest I wouldn't be rushing any of them back into the side for this one.

They did say that Mctom injury wasn't so bad and they might be playing it safe for Atletico.
Shaw has been two weeks now hasn't he? he must be avaialable? I don't mind Telles though.

I did hear. Bruno was Covid too.

Think Shaw and Varane tested positive on the Friday before the City game.

They said Shaw was still a positive case on Saturday so wasn't allowed to rejoin the squad whereas Varane had the all clear.

Not sure what was up with Bruno normally if it's covid they say but when Ralf was asked he said illness and he had a chance of being ok for Atletico so could just be a cold or sickness bug.

If he's got enough in the legs I'd probably rather have Matic than McTominay in a big European match.

Rangnick has said said Shaw is expected to train today, Bruno is Covid but they hope to have him and McTominay is touch and go.

Even if we've just got the 3 of them on the bench that's a boost as we've not really had options off the bench in recent weeks at least with Cavani back we've got a bit more to choose from.

Shaw, Bruno and McTominay all trained today.

Sounds like Shaw wasn't just a positive case he also had symptoms so would be surprised if he starts this one.

First goal is huge in this one and Felix seems to be having a little run where he's grabbing early goals.

Thought i'd be a lot calmer about this with no away goals rule this season, but i'm a nervous wreck and there's still 27+ hours to go!

Decent enough start came out with some energy and attitude.

Crowd seem to be right up for it too

Fred is a different player when he starts 10 yards further forward

0-1 Lodi

Overload at the back post Dalot was in covering the man in the middle couldn’t deal with the extra runner.

Plenty of time to get back into it just need to keep our heads.

Not a bad performance really but that goal was a sucker punch.

Great performance from Fred who has turned into peak Ronaldinho tonight!

Still plenty of time and a bit of fire power on the bench in Pogba, Cavani and Rashford (more a light sizzle than fire at the moment though).

Thought Elanga went down easy wasn’t a foul.

Was clever play and movement by Felix and Griezmann on the goal Utd’s players just didn’t get back in time Elanga and McTominay both slow to get back leaving Dalot with 3 men to mark had no chance.

This ref is testing my anger levels. Time wasting already

Thought Elanga went down easy wasn’t a foul.

Was clever play and movement by Felix and Griezmann on the goal Utd’s players just didn’t get back in time Elanga and McTominay both slow to get back leaving Dalot with 3 men to mark had no chance.

Llorente fouls Fred.

Finally Felix throws himself at the floor and doesn't get the foul.

It's definitely a foul on Elanga and Fred if they're in a blue shirt.

Hard because we are short of options but putting Rashford on here is desperate he’s in awful form and shouldn’t be anywhere near that pitch right now.

European refs always stop the game does my head in and he’s certainly needed to get his cards out.

Utd need to find a way to build up the pressure for the last 10-15 minutes.

Chucked on all the weapons.

Why is one of the Atletico trainers allowed to warm up players in the corner? Been doing it all of the second half

European refs usually get their cards out though. Llorente could have had 3.

Love to know how long the ball was in play in that second half.

One of the worst refereeing performances you will ever see. Coupled with some shithouse Atletico tactics.

4 minutes was a nonsense but then the referee was all game. But it could have been 4 hours, I'm not sure United were going to score. They don't have the quality which is the one thing I actually thought they did have.

United were poor.

But that ref should never ref a game of football at this level again.

Was worse than boxing judges.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back